BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I love this car!

Hey guys!
My name's Andre, and I'm new here, but I've been creeping around on these forums for a while to help me in the buying process of a new car. After narrowing down from G37, Z4, A5, and 135i, I've decided this car is the absolute best! Yesterday I test drove it (albeit with an auto tranny, which was still amazing!), and I seriously fell in love! The steering felt solid, the acceleration even with the auto was smooth but powerful. Even the back seat (where my girlfriend sat) wasn't as cramped as people make it out to be! Besides the interior (which is still great, but sub-par compared to audi), I have absolutely zero complaints about this car!

So I began negotiations with the dealer. Adhering to the "never buy in the same day" rule, I managed to get him to offer me $1000 under MSRP for a custom ordered, just the way I like it, 135i coupe, but said I have to check around for better prices, and that I'd come back Monday. I also said if they could offer me $1500 below MSRP and give me a list of the "extra" charges etc, I'd be coming in Monday to sign off on it, no questions! They didn't want to to do this, that $500 seemed pretty important to them, but I feel like they'll probably agree in the end.

What made the salesman even agree to $1000 below MSRP in the first place, I think, was the fact that I'd be going to Europe this summer anyway, and European delivery would have saved me about $2,500. He said it was my choice what to do, but he seemed to really want me to buy straight from the dealership. Does anyone know if the dealer makes any more/less profit if you get European delivery? Of course, what I neglected to tell him was where exactly in Europe I'd be going (Eastern Europe, possibly Italy, and France) would be nowhere near the plant.

Anyway, this post was more of a "say hi to the community" type post because I hope to become a regular contributer to the forums, but if anyone can answer my questions regarding dealer profits for european delivery, or if they can say whether $1000-$1500 off MSRP for this fast-selling model is a good deal, please go ahead!

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if there really is any difference between "Jet Black" and "Black Sapphire Metallic" colors? The salesman said you wouldn't really notice until you got a few feet away from the car, and only if you're really looking for it anyway.. Thanks!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Welcome to 1Addicts, 1speedbike! $1000-1500 under MSRP ia a pretty good deal. ED (European Delivery) is a great experience as stated by many here that have done it, but primarily only if you want to go to Europe anyway. The two blacks are different with Jet Black being the true black, if that is what you are looking for, although some will have differing opinions.
      06-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Do a search of Jet Black vs BSM and you will get threads on the subject. The short answer is yes, they are different and in the sunlight you can tell from about 20 feet away as the BSM sparkles will show. It's 100% taste...and a little extra $$$ for the BSM. I have Jet black and love it, but I also have a Vert so it is less surface area to take care of. It is stunning when clean, but keeping her clean is tough.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
drand
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

Normally there are ED allocations for the cars but there isn't one for the 1 series at this point, it comes out of the dealers allocation. So currently on an ED the dealer pays ED invoice, if it is not ED then they pay US MSRP which are about 7% apart. So if your negotiation is from MSRP, they dealer doesn't make any more or any less.

But, BMWNA pays the dealer on the backend based on the customer service score for the sale for US sales but not ED so overall the dealership makes more money on non-ED sales.

Once there is a allocation this will change and a 1 series ED will become, essentially free money for anything over and above their direct costs for selling the car.
      06-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
You made the best choice! But what didn't you like about the Z4?

Oh, and welcome to the #1 forum!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

welcome to the boards, i came from a g35 and although infiniti is nice, the performance of the 135i is what i was really looking for in the first place. Im glad the g35 was only a one year lease.

There is a difference between the two "blacks". When the sun is really shining on my BSM 135i it almost seems dark dark dark gray. i love the way it looks and wouldn't change my color if i did it all over again, but its all up to individual taste.Now the high gloss trim, im not so sure if i like it. it looks good in the dark, but in sunlight it kinda glitters, a little too much. Others have noted purple sparkles but I see more greenish and gray sparkles. But really its not THAT bad. cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
ONE
YearOneOfThe1
Rep
Drives:

Congratulations! Way to go!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
ONE
YearOneOfThe1
Rep
Drives:

I had the jet black on my 3 series and decided to go with the BSM this time.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by angkor View Post
Normally there are ED allocations for the cars but there isn't one for the 1 series at this point, it comes out of the dealers allocation. So currently on an ED the dealer pays ED invoice, if it is not ED then they pay US MSRP which are about 7% apart. So if your negotiation is from MSRP, they dealer doesn't make any more or any less.

But, BMWNA pays the dealer on the backend based on the customer service score for the sale for US sales but not ED so overall the dealership makes more money on non-ED sales.

Once there is a allocation this will change and a 1 series ED will become, essentially free money for anything over and above their direct costs for selling the car.
Interesting.. Now it just makes me wonder why my salesman was so intent on me getting US delivery.. They MUST be tacking some sort of extra cost that only comes with US delivery somewhere.. maybe one of those BS "misc charges" that every dealership seems to pull out of their ass.

Quote:
You made the best choice! But what didn't you like about the Z4?

Oh, and welcome to the #1 forum!
The Z4 was amazing as well, and I only had a few gripes about it. First of all, even though I have a backup car, the Z4 has but 2 seats. That would mean if I'm out with a group of friends, I'd never be able to drive them anywhere in my nice new bimmer (when we're out we usually take turns driving, so they'd probably think I'm cheaping out anyway). Also, I plan to use my new car as a daily driver, and I see the Z4 more as a weekend warrior type thing. Another thing is the Z4's suspension was too tight for my taste. Even with the 135i's sport package the suspension was slightly more comfortable, and with the Z4 the wheels REALLY seemed to want to go wherever the bumps in the pavement wanted them to go whereas the 135i felt more in control. Lastly, though I love the weird styling of the Z4, almost everyone I talked to didn't. This reason was only marginally important, but rather than feeling proud of my BMW, I'd feel slightly pretentious (though still proud!) in a Z4.

Plus 300 hp + 300 lb/ft > 255 hp + 220something lb/ft :thumbup:

Also, thanks to everyone for the info about Jet Black vs BSM!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0