BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Car seats

Ok..those of you that have little kids in car seats in the back of your 1er coupes...what seat do you use? The booster that I use with my son is wider than the seat bottom and in order to access the seatbelt we have to tilt the seat. This was only on the test drive...I don't have my car yet but want to have a seat that will work when it shows up. Anyone else have this probelm?

Does anyone have a Recaro seat for their kid(s)? I would like to get one of those for him but don't know if it'll fit or not and I can't find one locally to try out.

Thanks!!!
      06-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Britax Parkway booster. No issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Thanks...I'll check that one out!
      06-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I don't think Britax offers the Parkway anymore. Looks like the Monarch is the only belt-positioning booster they currently offer; same as the Parkway, but with arm rests, which we felt would just get in the way.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMike View Post
Ok..those of you that have little kids in car seats in the back of your 1er coupes...what seat do you use? The booster that I use with my son is wider than the seat bottom and in order to access the seatbelt we have to tilt the seat. This was only on the test drive...I don't have my car yet but want to have a seat that will work when it shows up. Anyone else have this probelm?
I put my 4 year old niece in back using one of those booster seats and had the same problem. I just stuffed it back as best I could and buckled her in tight. She was fine for the short drive we took, but I probably would have felt uncomfortable about the fit if we had gone somewhere further.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

We have a Gracco car seat and it fits fine using the LATCH attach poitns but it doe cover up the seatbelt (however, we use the harness/belts on the seat. The other one is a GRACCO booster seat and it fits tight but okay. You have to make sure the seatbelt is not covered up and then it works okay. Easy thing...just go to Walmart (I hate that store!) and buy the booster seat. Walk outside and give it a try. If you don't like it return it no questions asked.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I am stationed overseas and don't have a Walmart within 4000+ miles or I would ) Thanks though...I will just measure and will back in the states in a couple weeks for leave and will just have to measure seats at the store. Thanks!! Anybody have Recaro car seats in their 1er?
      06-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Try this:

http://www.magnaclek.com/canada/english/default.aspx

I have the Oto. Just snaps in and out easily. Washable fabric as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

That looks pretty good. I'd never seen those before. Thanks!!!
      06-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I folded a couple towels and positioned them so as to create a level surface for our booster seat. Basically, I used them to fill in the low seat bottom and protect the surrounding area. It's worked so far, and my daughter hasn't had any issues accessing the seatbelt buckle.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

No problem. They are made by Magna, the big auto parts manufacturer in Ontario.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
britt_e82
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
i have an awesome new carseat for my one

Recaro Young SPORT Child Seat.

Awesome seat extremely well made and comfy. my 1 year old daughter seems to love it. small footprint, good for taller drivers. I'm 6'1" and she usually sits behind me. My sons car seat is a Combi Booster, he's had it for a year or so now.

I bought the Recaro specifically for this car. it even looks great on the black leather. Ours is the dark charcoal color.
      06-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #13
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

That is one of the Recaro seats I was looking at (the other is the Recaro Start...the midnight desert looks like it would go nicely with my Savannah Beige. So, you have no problems with it fitting in the "butt space" in the rear seat and still able to access the belt? Oh...just re-read your post and see you are using ot for a 1yr old so you are using the car seat belts rather than the shoulder belt like I use for my 6yr old. I really want a nice Recaro seat for my son (especially since we don't have rear side impact airbags (the head one os nice but not sure why BMW couldn't have included side impact back there too) as they seem to have a great record in side impacts. A booster would work fine but I want the extra side protection for him. Thanks for the response!! It's nice to know someone has a Recaro in the back of their 1er.
      06-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #14
NOLEimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMike View Post

Does anyone have a Recaro seat for their kid(s)? I would like to get one of those for him but don't know if it'll fit or not and I can't find one locally to try out.

Thanks!!!
Recarro Youngsport here. Love it, and so does my 2.5 year old son. I believe its the only seat with side impact protection. Fits great in the backseat.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #15
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I would think that BMW should sell them. Along with other goodies for the kids. Think of it, branding starting at 1. 5 year olds can go to school and brag how they have the BMW 135 car seat with the nannycam etc etc.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
Gout Boy
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Recaro Vivo Seats

I just found this board over the weekend. I plan on posting a more formal greeting with pics of my wife's 128i Convertible (she just picked it up a couple weeks ago), but being a dad searching for advice on child-related products, I thought this would be a worthy first post.

Both of my kids use booster seats. In my wife's 128i Convertible, we have two Recaro Vivo booster seats (http://recaro.com/index.php?id=3330&region=3&L=2). The seats are the perfect size, and we have no problems fitting the seats or buckling the kids when they're in the seats. So far, the seats are working out well, and my kids have no complaints about the seats.

I tried several different booster seats before sticking with the Recaros. The extended wings on the headrest work very well so that your child's head and body don't tilt over when they fall asleep--a fairly annoying problem I've had with other manufacturers' booster seats. The side impact protection adds to the peace of mind.

So, greetings everyone. I'll take a few pictures of the car with the Recaro Vivo seats and post pictures in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

BMW Junior Seat I-II Isofix, BMW Sauber F1 Team colors and logos. Works fantastic and doesn't impede the folding the opposite seat back down even if mounted behind the front passenger.
      06-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt_e82 View Post
Recaro Young SPORT Child Seat.

Awesome seat extremely well made and comfy. my 1 year old daughter seems to love it. small footprint, good for taller drivers. I'm 6'1" and she usually sits behind me. My sons car seat is a Combi Booster, he's had it for a year or so now.

I bought the Recaro specifically for this car. it even looks great on the black leather. Ours is the dark charcoal color.

Does it upset you that your daughter sits in a better/sportier seat than you in your 135i? :thumbup: All jokes aside... good on ya for buying the best for your kids. Recaro FTW!

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #19
Gout Boy
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Recaro Booster Seats in 128i Convertible

I finally had time to snap a few pics of the Recaro Vivo booster seats in my wife's 128i Convertible. Here they are.

My kids are 3 and 6 years, and they fit perfectly fine in the booster seats in the car with the top up and down. Buckling them in is a tad cumbersome compared to an X3, X5, wagon, or sedan, but it's really not a big deal. Especially compared to the fun of driving in the convertible.

My wife drives the car most of the time. She's about 5'4". My 6-year-old fits very comfortably behind me when I'm sitting in the passenger or driver's side; I'm a pretty svelte 5'9".

The kids are very comfortable in the Recaro seats. I like the deeper side bolsters and headrest wings. When my kids fall asleep, they do not flop to the side or forward. It's a great improvement to the backless booster seat and evenflo booster we previously used.

As you can see in the third photo, the seats are narrow enough to allow full access to buckle the seatbelts.

I hope you find this helpful in choosing your booster seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #20
p_man
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just got a Jané Indy Plus for our 5.5-year-old. It's narrower than the Graco - it'll fit without tilting while just exposing the latch for the buckle wedged between the seat and the center console. It has adjustable side protection and the base locks into the lower latch tethers so it's much less tippy than a belt-only booster.

It doesn't have the cup-holders that the Graco has, nor is the back removeable, but other than that it seems solid, and the kid likes it. The product page is http://janeusa.com/indyplus.htm

Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #21
imported_Shawn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
BMW Junior Seat I-II Isofix, BMW Sauber F1 Team colors and logos. Works fantastic and doesn't impede the folding the opposite seat back down even if mounted behind the front passenger.
Try this link, it will be picture number 10 http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...equipment.html
Appreciate 0