BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
tcallquest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Trade Options - Advice Please**

Hello all -

Well, I'm getting a great deal on my 135i, which is due to the dealership in the next couple weeks. But of course, while making this great deal, my CA wouldn't discuss my trade (Volvo s40 T5). Now with the 135i en route, I put a call in and a price. I know BMW won't meet my price, but it's not unreasonable. I'm taking a hit on the volvo, and i'm prepared for that, but I have to mitigate.

Anyway, here are my options, what do I do?

a. Play chicken and pretend that I won't take my 135i unless my trade price is met. **I've already started this process, but my CA is appearing as if she will call my bluff.

b. Just take the trade to CARMAX and take a 1000 to 1500 bigger hit on the trade than I wanted.

c. Keep trying to sell my car privately, and hope that my 135i hasn't sold by the time my volvo does. **this might be plausible, 135i manuals aren't flying off the car lots here in DC. I think my dealership has all of its original 135s that it did when the car came out, minus those that were ordered.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

After ordering a 128i 'vert and getting a trade-in figure from my MD dealer (good for about 3 weeks), I had my trade-in inspected and listed it in the Post and on a couple of internet sites. Had only a couple of responses in 2 weeks - including an email from someone who said it was terrible to live with depression and would I donate my car to him! I then went to CarMax who offered me exactly the same as the dealer. Since MD residents now pay sales tax on the price difference between the new car and trade-in, I turned my car in to the dealer and that was that. Overall, I figure I got about 10% or so less than I wanted, but that's life.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

It is a tough market, even for used cars.
      06-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
imported_MGoBlue
Rep
Drives:

OP which dealer are you working with?

Congrats on the new ride, it's going to be night and day from your S40
Appreciate 0