BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
EDUC8ED
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Blue Majic"

VERY Frustrated!

I will try to keep this as simple as possible but I am looking for some feedback and where I should go from here. The situation is this....

I ordered my 135 and put down my deposit on 3/22/08 and was told I was taking an existing allocation and my car would arrive in 7 weeks. It is now week 8 and still no confirmed production date.

Since ordering my 135 in march I have had a horrible time with my CA and his ability to follow through on things. There have been multiple occassions where I have had to call him 3 or 4 times before I get a response. When I do get in touch with him I dont get an apology and more of the same " I havent heard anything yet."

By joining 1addicts I have been trying to educate myself on this process so I can ask the right questions etc. I received my production order number and began calling BMWNA immediately. Orginigally when I began calling BMW around the 4th week I still did not have a production date. This continued, until around the 6th week I was told my order had not been acctepted by BMW in Germany yet which seemed weird. I called my CA again, of course I waited this time over a week and no response.

I called him for the third time and he was actually at his desk!! He told me he had to find his paperwork and would call me back. Four hours later no response....so I went down there in person. I was sitting in the waiting area and he walked by me 2xs and did not say anything! All of a sudden my cell phone rings and its him calling me, I said " hey im right here!"

So he proceeds to tell me in so many words that BMW began to make convertibles instead of coupes and this was causing my order to take so long. Sounded like BS to me considering I was told in late March I was getting an existing allocation in 7 weeks and its 6 weeks in. What does this have to do with me im thinking????

So he says he is going to try and switch a conv with a coupe and I could possibly get my car at the end of June. He was going to call and try to work it out. He then looks me right in my eye and says I will here from him at the latest friday (this was last monday).
That same week I called BMW again and they said I had not been confirmed but I am possibly looking at week 23 production. I called this past monday and it went back to "no production date."

Its wednesday now and my CA just called me again not apologizing for me having to wait over a week to hear from him. He then tells me BMW reps were there yesterday and basically could not give him anymore info about the whole verts being built now situation as opposed to coupes. So now it seems im back to square one. I have looked at other threads and it seems there may have been 2 things that could have happened:
1. my SA lied about the allocation
2. It was not made "priority"

If I had known from the beginning to expect a 8,9, or 10 weeks I would not have an issue but my CA's behavior is questionable and really smells like he does not give 2 %$^'s.

I am grateful that I joined this site and appreciate all the info that is here. Im now 8 weeks in and to say the least im frustrated and looking for feedback, advice, suggestions, whatever any of you can offer me so I can decide what I need to do.

I apologize if this is confusing but im pretty pissed.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDUC8ED View Post
I will try to keep this as simple as possible but I am looking for some feedback and where I should go from here. The situation is this....

I ordered my 135 and put down my deposit on 3/22/08 and was told I was taking an existing allocation and my car would arrive in 7 weeks. It is now week 8 and still no confirmed production date.

Since ordering my 135 in march I have had a horrible time with my CA and his ability to follow through on things. There have been multiple occassions where I have had to call him 3 or 4 times before I get a response. When I do get in touch with him I dont get an apology and more of the same " I havent heard anything yet."

By joining 1addicts I have been trying to educate myself on this process so I can ask the right questions etc. I received my production order number and began calling BMWNA immediately. Orginigally when I began calling BMW around the 4th week I still did not have a production date. This continued, until around the 6th week I was told my order had not been acctepted by BMW in Germany yet which seemed weird. I called my CA again, of course I waited this time over a week and no response.

I called him for the third time and he was actually at his desk!! He told me he had to find his paperwork and would call me back. Four hours later no response....so I went down there in person. I was sitting in the waiting area and he walked by me 2xs and did not say anything! All of a sudden my cell phone rings and its him calling me, I said " hey im right here!"

So he proceeds to tell me in so many words that BMW began to make convertibles instead of coupes and this was causing my order to take so long. Sounded like BS to me considering I was told in late March I was getting an existing allocation in 7 weeks and its 6 weeks in. What does this have to do with me im thinking????

So he says he is going to try and switch a conv with a coupe and I could possibly get my car at the end of June. He was going to call and try to work it out. He then looks me right in my eye and says I will here from him at the latest friday (this was last monday).
That same week I called BMW again and they said I had not been confirmed but I am possibly looking at week 23 production. I called this past monday and it went back to "no production date."

Its wednesday now and my CA just called me again not apologizing for me having to wait over a week to hear from him. He then tells me BMW reps were there yesterday and basically could not give him anymore info about the whole verts being built now situation as opposed to coupes. So now it seems im back to square one. I have looked at other threads and it seems there may have been 2 things that could have happened:

If I had known from the beginning to expect a 8,9, or 10 weeks I would not have an issue but my CA's behavior is questionable and really smells like he does not give 2 %$^'s.

I am grateful that I joined this site and appreciate all the info that is here. Im now 8 weeks in and to say the least im frustrated and looking for feedback, advice, suggestions, whatever any of you can offer me so I can decide what I need to do.

I can't say I blame you one bit. The only advice I have is for your SA; I would recommend talking to his boss and letting him know that you're not getting the service you expect after buying a $40k car. This is what I would do, I would also recommend being polite about it.

Best of luck to you.
      05-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
ximpulsex
Private
Rep
Drives:

Ummm... You're frustrated? I'm confused - the one word I kept waiting to appear in your post was: MANAGER.

Speak with his manager ASAP - don't negotiate for a car that'll arrive in 9 more weeks, as far as I'm concerned you have two options:

1. Say FU to the dealership if they can't deliver ASAP.

2. Say FU to BMW and go with your second choice minute the headaches

I live in California where I have access to A TON of stealerships so I would pick number one first but I personally don't know what your situation is like.

Good luck!

O/T: Sorry if spelling/gramar is off here - I tapped this up on my phone!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Have you gone to the sales manager? It sounds like your CA is killing his business.

Are there any other dealers near by?

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Sounds like he sold you on an allocation that he didn't have. There is another thread just posted with a guy in the same situation. He promised him an allocation, but actually just took his 1k and put him on the allocation waiting list.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Your dealer definitely wasn't up front with you about the allocation.

I ordered and paid my deposit on April 1 and my car is currently on a boat due into SC on 5/22. I was lucky my dealer still had one April allocation, as otherwise I'd be about a week or two behind right now.

In your case, I agree with the others that your SA sold you on nonexistent allocation or he moved another car into yours and pushed yours back. Something seems fishy, and you definitely need to move up the chain to find out what's going on.

If the dealer isn't doing what it should, contact BMWNA.
      05-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
hitthemark41
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

yeah I would speak to the sales MANAGER ASAP (and get your deposit back regardless, unless they can guarantee a substantial discount to your liking!) I still fail to see how some BMW dealerships drag their feet and ignore their customers...you could expect it from the-not-so-luxury-brands....sounds like you just have a disgruntled or overworked SA there for sure! Either way, there is no excuse for that kind of wait and lack of communication...heck I told mine I was in no real hurry...and my production was done today (5/14) on an order/deposit placed 4/12....so obviously I can see how YOUR wait would be frustrating! Best of luck..but I would def call the manager...and as another said...be polite...you will def benefit!!

p.s. that whole vert thing is bull too...every SA at my dealership said the same exact thing...verts weren't selling nearly as well as the coupes...and certainly not as well as BMW would want or hoped for. So to move an allocation for one would just be stupid (but then again..he's prob just covering a lie with another)....

2008 (Year 1 of the One ) 135i
Black Sapphire Metallic/Savanna Beige/
Gray Poplar/6MT/Sports & Premium pkgs/CA/Heated Seats/HD/PDC
Mods:35% tint / clear bra / Perf. pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
EDUC8ED
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks a lot fellas for the feedback. I just called the dealership expecting to get the managers voicemail but he was there!! We had an excellent conversation and he validated my concern about my CA. Things should be moving forward and hes going to work with me personally and assured me he himself is going to make sure im made a priority. Well see!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
ML
Change for a Nickle?
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, Mazda truck

I guess this will just make you feel worse, but, I placed my order on March 28 and took delivery yesterday (6 weeks) and I'm just one state east of you. Had they placed the order when they wrote the contract, you should have taken delivery late last week or early this week.

Ensure that they gave you a delivery date around mid May (contract date + estimated weeks to delivery). I remember seeing, and I can't remember if it was on my contract or if it was in another thread, a requirement that they had to provide delivery within 30 days of the estimated delivery date. Otherwise, you should be entitled to break the contract and a refund of your deposit in full. Maybe somebody else can help with this. Regardless, if you don't have an accepted order by BMW, there is no way that they can deliver the car in the next thirty days, short of finding your spec'd car in another dealer's inventory.

Mike
      05-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
ximpulsex
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks a lot fellas for the feedback. I just called the dealership expecting to get the managers voicemail but he was there!! We had an excellent conversation and he validated my concern about my CA. Things should be moving forward and hes going to work with me personally and assured me he himself is going to make sure im made a priority. Well see!!
Good to hear...

I did a good amount of research before making my purchase and new what to look out for... After reading a number of horror stories the first line out of my mouth after signing the paperwork was:

"What's the production number?"

Long story short and a lesson to anyone else ordering their vehicle: Get the production number and track it via the OC site or the number!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
That situation stinks.
i too was in the same boat as you, but wasn't as patient. I since cancelled my order with that dealer after never having gotten a production # after 3 weeks from ordering. I too never got my calls returned and did escalate to her manager which did nothing. Immediately after cancelling that order, I placed an order with another dealership and a CA whom I was referred to. The only problem is, he's the busiest CA at the dealer and is out ALOT, but he does answer my e-mails within 1-2 business days and returns phone calls within 24 hours if not alot sooner.

The first dealer I dealt with had to deal with my CC company for disputing the deposit since although she promised my deposit back, I did not get it back yet. Make sure you post up your situation under Dealer Feedback so we all know to avoid that dealer in future purchases.

As for me with the first dealer, the saga continues between my CC company and them refunding my deposit.
      05-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #12
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I do have one question though, are there any other BMW dealership in the area?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Definitely speak to a manager or call another dealership. I've posted many times here about my 26 day stand with no production number. Well today I call another dealership and they say if I give them 100% commitment they'll give me a June build with a July delivery by trading out another order. I e-mail my CA this news and he gets back RIGHT away and says he'll see what he can do for my order in the AM to speed up the process. So the second he sees he may lose my business, he takes action. We'll see. I don't even trust this new dealership with their promise of a trade out for me. I wish I would've known about allocations before even getting into all this mess.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Be sure to post this up in the dealer ratings area at the top of the page and let the manager know that you have shared your exerience with other potential customers.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #15
hitthemark41
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post
That situation stinks.
i too was in the same boat as you, but wasn't as patient. I since cancelled my order with that dealer after never having gotten a production # after 3 weeks from ordering. I too never got my calls returned and did escalate to her manager which did nothing. Immediately after cancelling that order, I placed an order with another dealership and a CA whom I was referred to. The only problem is, he's the busiest CA at the dealer and is out ALOT, but he does answer my e-mails within 1-2 business days and returns phone calls within 24 hours if not alot sooner.

The first dealer I dealt with had to deal with my CC company for disputing the deposit since although she promised my deposit back, I did not get it back yet. Make sure you post up your situation under Dealer Feedback so we all know to avoid that dealer in future purchases.

As for me with the first dealer, the saga continues between my CC company and them refunding my deposit.
Ridiculous about the CC...deposits should be 100% refundable...at least according to all the SAs I've talked to (unless it's a state to state thing)...good luck to ya man....sux that some ppl are getting the run around out there

2008 (Year 1 of the One ) 135i
Black Sapphire Metallic/Savanna Beige/
Gray Poplar/6MT/Sports & Premium pkgs/CA/Heated Seats/HD/PDC
Mods:35% tint / clear bra / Perf. pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #16
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
First step to take is speak with your Sales Manager, he can't change the fact that your car is now postponed. He can, however, offer you a better deal or work something out with you. Also, hammer and I mean HAMMER this guy on CSI scores once you are questioned about it (should be a month after your car is delivered)... hand him all 1's instead of 5's, and he won't make a dime from you. Don't do this if the Sales Manager works out something, or else you'll more than likely be black listed from any "rare situation" help that you may need at that dealer.

If you cannot find an answer from the Sales Manager, speak with the GM... if still nothing, CSI....
      05-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #17
EDUC8ED
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am now scheduled for week 21 production!!! Had to go through another dealer but got more done in 8hrs than in 8 weeks at the original dealer as well as a lower monthly payment! Thanks to dbtheo things are looking promising right now. Wow what a turn in events......Dave your the man!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #18
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Grats brother! Here's to getting year One...of the 1!
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
EDUC8ED
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks!! cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #20
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks!! cant wait!
dude, you need to put your specs in your sig so everyone can see what you're getting, sooppaa mannn

:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #21
EDUC8ED
First Lieutenant
Rep

Check it out!

Montego/ Coral 135i

"Progress not Perfection"
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #22
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I'm in the same area as EDUC8ED so we obviously share the same dealer. I was concerned about having a similar bad experience and EDUC8ED passed my name on to dbtheo who had helped him.

Dave (dbtheo) contacted me with an offer to help, even though he realized that I might at least initially try to work with the local dealer. While he offered any necessary assistance he specifically mentioned that there is a definite value to establishing a relationship with the local guys. From my interactions with him I'd have no problem recommending that anyone having difficulties or anyone wanting to deal with someone who will provide direct answers not hesitate to contact him.

As it now stands we got a pretty attractive deal on a 135i from the in town dealer. The order was entered into the system today and now a production number is pending. We're aiming for a pretty specific Performance Center delivery date that falls about 10 weeks from now. The sales guy knows that we have a specific time in mind and promises to keep us current with any updates he receives. That remains to be seen, but I'll be pestering them for information to be sure the order moves along and not get stuck in limbo.
Appreciate 0