BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

What does this mean???

So I put in my order for a 135i on 4/5/08 at my local dealership. They told me that it should be a May build and possible July delivery. I have been bothering them to get the production number from them with limited response back.

I finally got to the Manager and he informed me that they regret to inform me that because of high demand my build date will be pushed back until July:eyebulge:

Now when I put my money down they assured me that I had locked in an allocation. What does this mean exactly? It seems they are playing me and trying to confuse me with different wording for all the status'

Does an allocation carry a build date with it? Does each allocation have its own estimated build date?

It seems that they lied to me and told me I have an allocation when I really don't.

Please help educate me on this process. I think I am going to go to another dealer even if it means I have to wait longer:iono:

Brandon
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

My understanding is if they had/have an allocation, that is a guarantee for whatever month the allocation was for-meaning the car is scheduled to be built that month of the allocation. If it is supposedly getting pushed back, it sounds like they told you they had an allocation but really didn't. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Or it could be that the allocation was not marked as "Priority One". Priority one means that the car is sold to a customer and gives the allocation a preferential build date. If they forgot to mark it as priority one then BMW may have pushed it back due to high demand for other orders which are marked as priority one.

Call your dealer and make sure they marked the order as priority one.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
ucb
Private
Rep
Drives: IX

or they did have an allocation, but had another customer come in and offer top dollar to get one quick, and they bumped you
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

I'm priority one, but they didn't have an allocation. I ordered about the same time you did and still don't have a production number and get horrible response from my CA. I don't know how much longer I want to wait...to START waiting.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
hitthemark41
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

hmm...hard to say for sure (but certainly sounds like they didn't REALLY have an allocation..or as others have said..didn't mark it Priority One) I put my deposit ($1k) down on 4/12 and got a production number two weeks later on the 26th (including a major change in my order after the first week!) My build is set for finish tomorrow (5/14) so if I was in your position, I would def get your deposit back and shop elsewhere if it's an option. I can understand your frustration...shocking that BWM wouldn't do everything possible to get these bad boys on the road...but who knows...I'm not IN the car business! :iono:

2008 (Year 1 of the One ) 135i
Black Sapphire Metallic/Savanna Beige/
Gray Poplar/6MT/Sports & Premium pkgs/CA/Heated Seats/HD/PDC
Mods:35% tint / clear bra / Perf. pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

There is only one BMW dealer in my city but there is another about 45 min away. I just shot them an e-mail asking if they have a current allocation. If they do, I'm cancelling my current one. 25 days with no production number is flat out bad business.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

25 days and not even a production number? Dude...
      05-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
25 days and not even a production number? Dude...
Yeah, it makes no sense. Hendrick is a huge dealership chain and Hendrick BMW of Charlotte is the best in NC from what my CA told me. At first they said a laye May early June delivery when I was dealing. Then they said they'd get me my production number after a few days when I put down the deposit in early April. After a week with no number my CA said they didn't have a current allocation and it'd be late June. The last e-mail he sent me he said July! Now he won't even return my e-mails.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Be careful. You are running close to getting a 2009 with those dates. Unless, that isn't a concern.
Before you cancel, ask around for a better allocation. However, when I asked my CA where they were on allocations (in April) they were into July as well.
      05-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Be careful. You are running close to getting a 2009 with those dates. Unless, that isn't a concern.
Before you cancel, ask around for a better allocation. However, when I asked my CA where they were on allocations (in April) they were into July as well.
Well I do want the "Year One of the One" on the start button so I hope something happens soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #12
740i325e135i
Not worthy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, 325e, 528i, 740i, F30

An allocation refers to what the dealer gets...nothing to do with who orders what or when. A dealer; based on volume, historical purchasing power and "influence" gets allocated a number of vehicles on a "to be booked basis". If you got assigned to one of their allocated cars thats good and to know that they should have given you a production number right then and there. If you didn't then you may be on their list of "to be allocated". Just like we 'buyers' compete for hot cars, so do the 'dealers'. If you want a car and your local dealer didn't give you a production number with #1 priority then I would get online and do some calling around to see who will. If you paid full MRSP upfront in cash then you'll be higher on everyone's list at BMW then if you paid $500 refundable with no commitment...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740i325e135i View Post
An allocation refers to what the dealer gets...nothing to do with who orders what or when. A dealer; based on volume, historical purchasing power and "influence" gets allocated a number of vehicles on a "to be booked basis". If you got assigned to one of their allocated cars thats good and to know that they should have given you a production number right then and there. If you didn't then you may be on their list of "to be allocated". Just like we 'buyers' compete for hot cars, so do the 'dealers'. If you want a car and your local dealer didn't give you a production number with #1 priority then I would get online and do some calling around to see who will. If you paid full MRSP upfront in cash then you'll be higher on everyone's list at BMW then if you paid $500 refundable with no commitment...
Yeah, didn't pay in full and am getting a heck of a discount too so I imagine they're not too psyched about getting me in my car. Put down $1000 deposit and will put down $9,100 on the day it arrives. I'm just shocked that Hendrick doesn't have an allocation for me right now. It's such a huge dealership. Oh well. My CA did say I'm Priority 1 though. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Here is an update of my situation:

I found out that my dealer has been flat out lying to me. They told me I had an allocation but that is not the case. I was first in line on their waiting for an allocation list which could put me into a 2009 model since they are a small dealership.

I looked around and found another dealership that had a June build slot. I gave them my deposit and they gave me a production number right back. This is the way it should be. If you do not have a production number, you probably do not have an allocation and are on a waiting list.

Now the problem I am having is the production number they gave me comes up as a 2005 X3 on the BMW Owners Circle website. I know that the website is about a week behind on updating but it seems like it should at least show the correct model. Am I right in thinking this?

Uptown Billy- Look for another allocation quick if it is important to you to have the 2008 model. Production stops in August for the 2008's and will start back up in August with the 2009's. Almost all the dealerships I called are into their July allocations so it is getting close to the end.

Good Luck,

Brandon
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-One-Da? View Post
Here is an update of my situation:

I found out that my dealer has been flat out lying to me. They told me I had an allocation but that is not the case. I was first in line on their waiting for an allocation list which could put me into a 2009 model since they are a small dealership.

I looked around and found another dealership that had a June build slot. I gave them my deposit and they gave me a production number right back. This is the way it should be. If you do not have a production number, you probably do not have an allocation and are on a waiting list.

Now the problem I am having is the production number they gave me comes up as a 2005 X3 on the BMW Owners Circle website. I know that the website is about a week behind on updating but it seems like it should at least show the correct model. Am I right in thinking this?

Uptown Billy- Look for another allocation quick if it is important to you to have the 2008 model. Production stops in August for the 2008's and will start back up in August with the 2009's. Almost all the dealerships I called are into their July allocations so it is getting close to the end.

Good Luck,

Brandon
Yeah, man, I e-mailed a dealership about 45 min away today and they said they think they can trade with another dealership they are friendly with and get me a June build with a July delivery. So I e-mailed the original CA this news and if he can't beat that then I'll cancel my order and get my deposit back and go with this other dealership. I'n cutting it close!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #16
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Did the dealer give you a "Vehicle Inquiry Report"? If so, and the options on it are all correct, then you have nothing to worry about. BMW recycles the production numbers so OC is probably just showing you the last car that used your particular number. It should be updated here pretty soon.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Did the dealer give you a "Vehicle Inquiry Report"? If so, and the options on it are all correct, then you have nothing to worry about. BMW recycles the production numbers so OC is probably just showing you the last car that used your particular number. It should be updated here pretty soon.

Dan
Yeah, I got a VIR so it looks like I am in the clear then.

Thanks for the info:thumbup:

Uptown Billy- Make sure you have a production number at the very least and look it up online. Do not fall into their trap. They will try to keep your order even if it means you get an 09' model.
Appreciate 0