BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
1BrakeLate
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Nightmare -car damaged during delivery

Finally I have heard back from my dealer why my car is late by more than 3 weeks form promised delivery date:

“I actually just got word that there was a small ding in the rear spoiler, BMW will not release any vehicles to the dealers with and flaws or damage, they must be perfect. They had to order a rear spoiler and are waiting on it to come in, they did not give an ETA. It should be very soon.”

Few questions pop into my mind : isn’t spoiler integrated in the trunk, so is that a whole trunk replacement, what else is damaged?
Will I get (and can I trust) full disclosure of damages and repairs done and what choices I will have if it is more than cosmetic damages?
The worst part is that I have trusted dealer and sold my old car (Viggen) got rental that I am paying out of my pocket and now it is 3 weeks more than it was promised. What do you guys expect would be reasonable by good dealer to do when such damage in shipment and delay happens? Reimburse rental, give BMW loaner, give X amount of MSRP?
Would appreciate advices from anyone with similar experience or knowledge about such case.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

The small spoiler is taped on with 2-sided tape. Not part of the trunk lid. I don't know what to tell you, but contact them and tell them you can't afford the rental car anymore and would like a BMW loaner. Be nice, they might help if its a sob story. If you get mad they can tell you "TOO BAD" thats life. Good Luck brother.

I would look the car over VERY CLOSE, and bring a magnet to check for bondo or any filler.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BrakeLate View Post
Finally I have heard back from my dealer why my car is late by more than 3 weeks form promised delivery date:

“I actually just got word that there was a small ding in the rear spoiler, BMW will not release any vehicles to the dealers with and flaws or damage, they must be perfect. They had to order a rear spoiler and are waiting on it to come in, they did not give an ETA. It should be very soon.”

Few questions pop into my mind : isn’t spoiler integrated in the trunk, so is that a whole trunk replacement, what else is damaged?
Will I get (and can I trust) full disclosure of damages and repairs done and what choices I will have if it is more than cosmetic damages?
The worst part is that I have trusted dealer and sold my old car (Viggen) got rental that I am paying out of my pocket and now it is 3 weeks more than it was promised. What do you guys expect would be reasonable by good dealer to do when such damage in shipment and delay happens? Reimburse rental, give BMW loaner, give X amount of MSRP?
Would appreciate advices from anyone with similar experience or knowledge about such case.

Just curious, but when did they find the damage?
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
The small spoiler is taped on with 2-sided tape. Not part of the trunk lid. I don't know what to tell you, but contact them and tell them you can't afford the rental car anymore and would like a BMW loaner. Be nice, they might help if its a sob story. If you get mad they can tell you "TOO BAD" thats life. Good Luck brother.

I would look the car over VERY CLOSE, and bring a magnet to check for bondo or any filler.

a magnet for bondo or any filter, just curious, what do you mean?
      05-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Aww man that blows, personally I don't think asking them for a loaner is out of the question. While it's not their fault it is BMWs fault, maybe not directly but definitely indirectly - via their shipping company.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Andres G
4s Club - Are you member?
Rep
Drives:

You can ask for a loaner of any kind if the dealer has some available. Be nice and explain your situation to them, after all, your car's delay is not related to any of their actions but to what BMW of NA determines.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovesax08 View Post
a magnet for bondo or any filter, just curious, what do you mean?
If the rear fender or trunk lid was dented and they fill the dent with Bondo or fiberglass the magnet won't stick in that area. Glue a piece of felt on the magnet and move it all over to make sure it sticks to metal.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

My e90, which I signed for in Munich on European Delivery, was damaged badly enough to need a rear bumper, a hood, and both driver's side doors refinished. I was none too happy. My dealer did let me keep my trade in even longer (I had arranged to keep it while i was waiting redelivery of my ED car). I'm sure I could've gotten a rental or loaner.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

My 135 was held up for almost a week at the main processing center because of a scratch on one side-mirror housing. They didn't try to buff it out or repaint it. They just replaced it 1-for-1, and the car as delivered to me was perfect.

I agree with posters who suggested you ask nicely for a loaner; the answer will depend on your dealer and how strapped they are at the moment for cars. This isn't their responsibility, technically, but they might agree to help.

And remember: This final stage of quality control is there to ensure your new BMW is in the shape it ought to be. Keep telling yourself it's a good thing....

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
cars with "damage"

For better or worse, bmw will hold up cars during transport if so much as a scratch is found. I have have client cars get held up at the vpc because a rim was scratched & they we waiting for a new one from germany (as opposed to taking one from a non-sold vehicle). We had to wait nearly an extra month. I've seen bumpers that got scratched & they replaced the whole piece. It's unfortunate, but it happens. I guess the question to ask yourself, is would you rather bmwna catch it & fix it, or your dealer? Personally, I'll take the folks at the vpc ANY day. Yes it is an inconvenience to you, which is really the worst part. BUT Your car will be fine. Perhaps I'm biased, but asking the dealer for an additional discount is imo, unjustified & unfair. It's not their fault, they want to get the car delivered to you, just as bad as you want it. That said, any decent dealer should gladly try to accomodate you for your trouble & keep you happy. If it were me, you would definately get a loaner. Also, ask your dealer to contact their area rep, they should be able to help you get re-imbursed for your rental fees. I've had to do that a couple of times. We've had no issue doing so. Hope this helps & good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #11
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post
They didn't try to buff it out or repaint it. They just replaced it 1-for-1, and the car as delivered to me was perfect.

And remember: This final stage of quality control is there to ensure your new BMW is in the shape it ought to be. Keep telling yourself it's a good thing....
exactly
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 02:25 AM   #12
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
I have have client cars get held up at the vpc because a rim was scratched & they we waiting for a new one from germany (as opposed to taking one from a non-sold vehicle). We had to wait nearly an extra month.
What did they do send it over on one of the ships? Wouldn't it be in the best interest of customer satisfaction to just ship it FedEx? Seriously if my car got held up at the VPC for an extra month I would be pissed. The wait is already like slow torture. Knowing that my car was just sitting there waiting for a part to come over on a slow boat would kill me.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 02:41 AM   #13
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Oh, you're not alone, just the other day I noticed the third brake light on my 135 is cracked right in the center, I didn't do it, apparently delivered thus, and, no, I don't slam the trunk, far from it.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Make sure you ask them for a printed report of exactly what the damage was and what was done to replace it. They keep track by VIN everythign that was done.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post

BMW is not going to use Bondo on a new car. They will replace parts but no body filler. Now if the dealer damaged it they may go the Bondo route to fix it. So if there is Bondo on your car it is not a new car. I would not take delivery on a new car with Bondo. None of my cars in the past twenty years have had any Bondo even when I sold them.

I grew up in Port Hueneme where the VDC is. Back in 1979 when I graduated College, the Mazda RX7 just came out. A ship with Mazda RX7’s came in with damaged cars. I tried to get a car with damage but any car they could not replace parts to make it new was destroyed. I watched cars with small dents where they could not easily replace parts like in the roof or rear quarter panel go to the salvage yard and get crushed.
      05-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:

Legally speaking, unless you have the phrase "time is of the essence" in a signed sales contract with a date certain for delivery, your dealership isn't legally obligated to do anything for you. So anything they do for you will purely be done for customer satisfaction reasons, not because they owe you.

It can't hurt to be very nice to them and plead your case for a loaner as a good will gesture from them. But if you go in and try to push them around and claim that it is their fault, they would be well within their legal rights to refuse to do anything for you at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
What did they do send it over on one of the ships? Wouldn't it be in the best interest of customer satisfaction to just ship it FedEx? Seriously if my car got held up at the VPC for an extra month I would be pissed. The wait is already like slow torture. Knowing that my car was just sitting there waiting for a part to come over on a slow boat would kill me.

Dan
I wish they could expidite the process, but they don't. Yes it sucks, but nothing we can do about it
Appreciate 0