Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-30-2023, 08:20 PM   #1
Ogkwaik
Rep
Drives: f80 M3

F80 M3 limp mode not revving over 3k rpm

A little back story, I bought this car from fb for a steal bc he was unable to get it fixed so I thought i'd be up to the task. But tbh I don't know where to begin. The owner told me that the car previously had an m4 dme. So he went ahead and ordered a dme already programmed for the car from Bmw. The car starts but there is a low oil pressure code that's intermittent and it won't allow you to rev or drive the car above 3k rpm. The oil level reading stops at 2% so I have yet been able to check the oil. I tried unplugging the mass air flows but still the same thing. I believe the car is in limp mode but there is no drivetrain malfunction. Any information or thoughts on what can be the issue will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 10:07 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogkwaik View Post
A little back story, I bought this car from fb for a steal bc he was unable to get it fixed so I thought i'd be up to the task. But tbh I don't know where to begin. The owner told me that the car previously had an m4 dme. So he went ahead and ordered a dme already programmed for the car from Bmw. The car starts but there is a low oil pressure code that's intermittent and it won't allow you to rev or drive the car above 3k rpm. The oil level reading stops at 2% so I have yet been able to check the oil. I tried unplugging the mass air flows but still the same thing. I believe the car is in limp mode but there is no drivetrain malfunction. Any information or thoughts on what can be the issue will be appreciated.
Would be helpful if you posted the codes.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2023, 01:09 AM   #3
Ogkwaik
Rep

The only code that's coming up is a Zero gear sensor adaptation not learned. Also sometimes the only pressure warning comes on code 1fb801. The oil level stops at 4% so I have yet been able to check the level.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 12:45 PM   #4
ron_s55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Drain and fill oil to make sure oil level is ok before you keep running the engine more.
Then figure out why the oil pressure is low.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 07:19 PM   #5
Ogkwaik
Rep

Im thinking of doing the crank hub and in the process changing whatever needs to be changed. But I do think this issue is an ecu issue. Im thinking of sending it of to get it looked at to make sure the coding is correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 07:23 PM   #6
Ogkwaik
Rep

But on a second note I just purchased a 2011 535i with the n55. Sounds like it has no compression, it cranks but doesn't start. Checked compression every cylinder had 0 compression. Looked at the timing and it looked to be off pretty badly. Do you think the valves were affected. I plan on adjusting the cams and then doing a leak down test.
Appreciate 0