BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

My thoughts on the 1er from the LA Auto Show

1. Most importantly, Sedona Red looked dreadful in person. The lighting was hardly complementary but it looked to have a lot more pink in it than you see in pictures. For some reason, the color photographs much darker than it actually is. It looked very flat and dull to me and, next to that awful green color, it is the worst of the available colors.
  2. Best part about the car is how the wheels fill the arches. It gives the car a really good looking stance, especially from behind where the wide(ish) rear tires look really nice in proportion. Also, the auto show solidified my view that the 264s are the wheels to get. True I have not seen the 261s in person, but these 264s look phenomenal in person. 19 inchers, in my opinion, would look out of place.
  3. For some reason, the car did not grab my attention or look really dominating. It has all the M cues but they dont work as well in person as I expected. The front of the car, therefore, is a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully in another color it will look better and more aggressive. On the plus side, the 1er has one of the best set of BMW kidneys ever.
  4. The amber headlights didnt bother me as much as I thought it would. Perhaps its because they blended in pretty well with the Sedona Red, but, really, they didnt look bad.
  5. The rear of the car looks really nice, though the entire car looks a lot more narrow than it actually is. The one problem with the rear is the way the dominant, sharp line from the side transfers to the rear. It just does not look right. I really wish that line did not continue to the rear and dip around in the rear. Too fiddly and, frankly, unattractive. Still, the exhaust looks brilliant and the rear arches look great from behind.
  6. The side profile is the best angle of the car. From any other angle, the car looks a bunch smaller than it is. The only disappointment on the side profile is that Hofmeister kink which looks slightly too small. Still, having seen all the other manufacturer's attempt at a Hofmeister kink, BMW still does that transition much, much, much, much better than anyone else in the business.
Overall, a good looking car but it really was not as impressive as I thought it would be in person. It's more cute than I thought it would be and while it still looks like it be a cracking drive, the looks aren't enough to make me go running to the BMW dealer with my checkbook. Hopefully a tii will add the aggression that this car's styling deserves. Anyway, just some thoughts from one person's perspective (your eyes will probably see it differently). Pictures below.

Also, the M3s looked unbelievable:

11-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

thanks for the photos. sedona looks as good as i've seen it in those pictures...but i understand you are saying your photographs aren't particularly realistic colorwise.

i still don't get the m3. the pictures just do nothing for me. perhaps it's one of those cars i just have to see in person.

from the photos i disagree with a lot of your opinions but i'll just have to see it in person to decide for sure.
      11-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the review .. I can't wait for one of these to get to the dealership so I can make a final decision.

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Will they let you sit in the 135i LA show car?????:iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Damn You! I'm jealous of all you Cali people who can go see the car. Thanks for the thoughts and the pics. I really appreciate the time people take to try to stack on a bit more info for us 1addicts. Very interesting commentary regarding the body lines.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I did not know that BMW North America kept you locked out of the 1er Coupe. As I said BMW North America. BMW AG wanted to showcase the Coupe along with it's Cabrio twin at Detroit in January. But BMW North America wanted something to show in LA. Whereas the official World Premiere was Frankfurt in September this was the offical USA introduction. along with the M3 Coupe and Sedan.

The initial plan was for BMW AG to unveil the M3 Cabrio at LA but because of development and marketing delays this will now be revealed at the beginning of next month.
BMW will also focus it's big news for the world market in Detroit in the new year rather than LA. When the 1er Cabrio along with the World Premiere of the BMW X6 which will be media released next week will debut.

Even the BMW X6 Concept Cars are surprisingly not seen in LA but are showing currently at the Dubai autoshow alongside the Concept CS.

The Concept 1er Tii will be shown at Essen.

Only 134 miles (translated) on the clock but loving this car every second.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Here's another perspective.

I really like the car. Seeing it at the autoshow has solidified my decision to purchase the car. Maybe I had a really low expectation before I saw the car. I was expecting it to fail aesthetically but I would still buy it for the engine. I like the sedona red and for some reason it looked darker, as shown in the pictures above, than the light almost pink color Mpower described. I also find the color to be more popping than alpine white. Overall, the car has a powerful stance in a compact form. The M3s looks more atheletic but 135i holds its own for its class. (After all this isn't a M which has been soften since E46) 135i reminisce the E46 more than anything. It's fair to say it has the posture of a E46 ZHP which carried an aggressive stance but not as purposeful looking as an EVO or STI.

11-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Steve325xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 325xi

In other words the 1 is ugly like all the rest of Bangle's designs. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

MPower thanks for your commentary and pix. You've definitely provided some more food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve325xi View Post
In other words the 1 is ugly like all the rest of Bangle's designs. :thumbup:
I can't believe I am giving my money to damn bangled design.
      11-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

gay, u gotta like all the turds that put deposit's down. This car won't move the meter with the masses. In fact, the masses will say, wtf is that stupid car? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
320Devil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 17 X5M

Just got back from the auto show as well. I have to agree with Mpower. Sedona red looks pinkish and horrible in person. Overall the car looks good, but not striking. The wheels look nice. Even though its dimensions are similar to the 3 series, it looks a bit smaller and compact in person. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to sit in the thing. We were allowed to crawl all around the insides of an M5, but not the 1 series. I'll be deploying in January and will be ordering the car through the military sales program, so this was my only chance to see the car in person before buying it. Being 6 foot 4 inches tall I'm kind of worried I won't fit with the standard moonroof. The BMW rep who was there said that the inside headroom is comparable with a Z4 coupe. If you're in the southern CA area I highly recommend making the drive to see the show. Lots of cool cars. The new Nissan GTR looks amazing! Also, there is a huge aftermarket gallery with a bunch of tricked out Mercedes, Porches and a few BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Didn't see this thread before I posted.

So I'll move my post here, with some added thoughts:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was really hoping it would look better in person than in photos.

Unfortunately, that's not the case; in fact, quite the opposite.

It's not an attractive car, not at all. And Sedona makes it look worse. Yuck - what a horrible color. Something about the lighting made it look ghastly.

In terms of shape, it looks like it's been smushed lengthwise.

The design also looks forced onto the 1er platform.

And worst of all, it really looks like a Kia. Without the BMW badging, I bet 70% of the people who saw the car would think it's a cheap Korean car.

BMWs have impact. This car has very little presence, except for maybe just being sort of ugly.

The only redeeming quality I can find in this car is that it's fast.

Otherwise, it's ugly, overpriced, overweight, understeering, numb feeling and certainly won't be in my garage.

This car should and could have been sooo much better. It should have been fast, light, reasonably priced, with communicative steering.

Instead it disappoints on everything except speed. If I just need speed, I can get a Mustang GT for $13K less.

I think BMW has a solid failure on its hands.

Nice getting to know some of you. You can find me over on the Porsche boards.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
gay, u gotta like all the turds that put deposit's down. This car won't move the meter with the masses. In fact, the masses will say, wtf is that stupid car? :iono:
You gotta love these clowns who take time to post comments about a car they allegedly don't care about. Only a nut like yourself would place any emphasis on what the masses feel about his car.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
I never care what the masses say. I lead the masses follow and that's the way it is and the way it will be.
      11-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #16
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Thanks for the review, M.

I actually felt that the car looked better in person, especially from the front. This is probably due to my low expectation, as I still consider the 1er to be one of the uglier bimmers to date. But at least the gawd awful head lamps looked better than the pics.

This was in Frankfurt, so I didn't get to see the US version with the amber reflector. But I actually think that anything that will distract you from the overall shape of the headlamp is a good thing.

I'm still surprised that you expected it to be good looking enough to sell based on looks.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #17
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
  1. Most importantly, Sedona Red looked dreadful in person. The lighting was hardly complementary but it looked to have a lot more pink in it than you see in pictures. For some reason, the color photographs much darker than it actually is. It looked very flat and dull to me and, next to that awful green color, it is the worst of the available colors.
  2. Best part about the car is how the wheels fill the arches. It gives the car a really good looking stance, especially from behind where the wide(ish) rear tires look really nice in proportion. Also, the auto show solidified my view that the 264s are the wheels to get. True I have not seen the 261s in person, but these 264s look phenomenal in person. 19 inchers, in my opinion, would look out of place.
  3. For some reason, the car did not grab my attention or look really dominating. It has all the M cues but they dont work as well in person as I expected. The front of the car, therefore, is a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully in another color it will look better and more aggressive. On the plus side, the 1er has one of the best set of BMW kidneys ever.
  4. The amber headlights didnt bother me as much as I thought it would. Perhaps its because they blended in pretty well with the Sedona Red, but, really, they didnt look bad.
  5. The rear of the car looks really nice, though the entire car looks a lot more narrow than it actually is. The one problem with the rear is the way the dominant, sharp line from the side transfers to the rear. It just does not look right. I really wish that line did not continue to the rear and dip around in the rear. Too fiddly and, frankly, unattractive. Still, the exhaust looks brilliant and the rear arches look great from behind.
  6. The side profile is the best angle of the car. From any other angle, the car looks a bunch smaller than it is. The only disappointment on the side profile is that Hofmeister kink which looks slightly too small. Still, having seen all the other manufacturer's attempt at a Hofmeister kink, BMW still does that transition much, much, much, much better than anyone else in the business.
Overall, a good looking car but it really was not as impressive as I thought it would be in person. It's more cute than I thought it would be and while it still looks like it be a cracking drive, the looks aren't enough to make me go running to the BMW dealer with my checkbook. Hopefully a tii will add the aggression that this car's styling deserves. Anyway, just some thoughts from one person's perspective (your eyes will probably see it differently).
This is a great post Mpower. Thanks.
I'm surprised how unimposing the car seems to appear...

The thing I've gotten used to is how it takes some BMW designs time to settle in. I remember when I saw an early Z4...it was so disappointing-
so awkwardly strange looking. 2 years later I bought one and now that I've had it for awhile it looks fabulous to me.
Maybe the same phenomenon with the 1-er.

Still, your comments are so well put, I'm looking at it with fresh eyes.
Sedona Red- I'm wondering if there's some kind of subtle spectrum shift due to the lights...that definitely can happen.
Same effect with the Frankfurt debut- then we see all the photos of it up in Sweden and it looks great (normal).
Weird.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

90% of the cars "blamed" on Chris Bangle are the creation of Adrian Van Hooydonk from designworks, once Bangle went on to lead global image.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #19
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
90% of the cars "blamed" on Chris Bangle are the creation of Adrian Van Hooydonk from designworks, once Bangle went on to lead global image.
Larryn, you're right: Van Hooydonk is the design chief of BMW- the original 1 series (5door) was designed by an American guy named Chris Chapman.
I'm not sure who did the redesign for the coupe- perhaps Scott knows-

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
AW09M3
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: M3

I'd have to agree with the OP's comment about it being not "striking".

Some quick comments...

Just getting back from the show myself, it definitely is a good looking car, but not something that really knocks your socks off. The car definitely looks smaller, but not too small imo.

The trunk and slightly higher roofline does make the car look a little stubby, but its not too bad.

The ambers aren't very noticeable. Thinking clear corners may not be necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #21
potatoe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts and the pics. I really appreciate the time people take to try to stack on a bit more info for us 1addicts. Very interesting commentary regarding the body lines.
+1 - Much appreciated.

Does anybody know if the 1er will be at the San Francisco Auto Show? If not, I'm driving to LA tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #22
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The lighting in the BMW Exhibit area is very blue. No doubt BMW carefully selected this hue. Compare this lighting with the Porsche Exhibit area, for example, where the lighting is much warmer.

Of all of the exhibitors, I would give my award to the Porsche, Audi, Volkswagen, Lamborghini, Bentley Group. All of their vehicles look great on display.

I studied the 135i with another 1 Coupe enthusiast from Canada. We both thought the 135i looked athletic and handsome. The 135i exudes quality and the performance per dollar, combined with the quality, will make this an attractive car.

I share the concerns about the understeer and so I very much look forward to driving one in 2008.

For me the handling is the most important aspect about this car and I have high expectations.
Appreciate 0