GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-30-2023, 07:05 PM   #1
evensend
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

P 1030 Code

Hey there,

My f83 is throwing this code and I got a few questions and want to gain some insight into it. I'm broke so I'm praying this isn't a pressing issue.

That leads us into our first question on the topic of broke... How pressing of an issue is it? Can I continue to drive the car (just not beat on it) to school & back and the gym?

What is the issue exactly? From my understanding, the valves in the exhaust are messed up, so the timing is messed up, and it is leaving the valves open for longer which is causing the car to 1. Be 2-3x louder (muffler not weird noise-wise), 2. Increased fuel consumption, and 3. Loss of power.

Any other insight that you can give me on this issue with my car would be GREATLY appreciated. I can't do this. Just fixed the convertible top, got new tires, and a little while ago had to fix some water pumps or something like that. Please tell me this isn't a big deal.

https://www.engine-codes.com/p1030_bmw.html
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 03:00 PM   #2
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

sounds like your valvetronic system failed. if its just the actuator then relatively cheap. if its your eccentric shaft then thats a few thousand bucks. you can use the car but it will run off an alternate mode( i forgot what its called) where it basically bypasses the valvetronic system and you will notice horrible fuel mileage and youd be in limp mode until you get it fixed.