proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-26-2023, 05:07 PM   #1
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Has anyone tried using an additive for DCT fluid

Hi all. I’m not looking to do the full DCT transmission fluid change right now but just curious if there is any additive I could squirt in there to improve the viscosity and shifting performance for the near term? Something like a Lucas Oil additive or similar. Has anyone tried something like this?

The full DCT fluid, pan and filter replacement looks like a bit pain, and also requires the INPA software which I haven’t messed with in a long time, so im hesitant to do it right now.

Thanks.
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 08:55 PM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
Hi all. I’m not looking to do the full DCT transmission fluid change right now but just curious if there is any additive I could squirt in there to improve the viscosity and shifting performance for the near term? Something like a Lucas Oil additive or similar. Has anyone tried something like this?

The full DCT fluid, pan and filter replacement looks like a bit pain, and also requires the INPA software which I haven’t messed with in a long time, so im hesitant to do it right now.

Thanks.
Don’t add any additives into the DCT. Replace the fluid correctly or just leave it alone. However, the basic kit which replaces the main dct filter (not the suction filter in the pan) and dct fluid drain and fill is better than nothing.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2023, 10:13 PM   #3
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
Don’t add any additives into the DCT. Replace the fluid correctly or just leave it alone. However, the basic kit which replaces the main dct filter (not the suction filter in the pan) and dct fluid drain and fill is better than nothing.
Does that still require the INPA program so get the fill level correct?
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 04:34 AM   #4
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
Does that still require the INPA program so get the fill level correct?
Yes. You would need some type of diagnostic software or appropriate scan tool. I used ISTA and an ENET cable. Pretty easy to step through.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 01:43 PM   #5
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Yes. You would need some type of diagnostic software or appropriate scan tool. I used ISTA and an ENET cable. Pretty easy to step through.
I believe ISTA simply monitors the oil temp (must be below 40C) and prompts you to run the engine at 2,000 RPMs for 1 minute after initial fill-up. With the engine running, you should then be able to add another liter or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 06:32 PM   #6
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I agree, I'm doing the fluid and external filter here soon. The internal and pan is obviously better but overkill IMO when you have people still getting good fluid analysis at 100k miles. Ill do the whole thing next time.
Appreciate 0