Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-13-2022, 09:05 PM   #1
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Coil over setup ain’t easy

Just finished installing a second hand set of MCS 2wnr coil overs. Also installed a set of SPL toe links with eccentric lockout. I thought the hard work was over until I attempted to set ride height. I measured my stock suspension from two different locations (ground to fender lip, wheel lip to fender lip) and got some interesting measurements the stock suspension measured as follows.

Drivers front 113mm. Passenger front 118.5mm

Drivers rear 93mm. Passenger rear 86mm

After installing my coil overs and after many attempts, to keep things close to factory ride height, but equal side to side, the best I could accomplish was.

Drivers front 111mm. Passenger front 118mm

Drivers rear 89mm passenger rear 87.2mm

The weird thing was, when I would try to adjust the rear sides independently, it would affect the other side as well. So if I tried lowering the drivers rear to match the passenger rear, both sides would go down.

And when it came to the front, I measured multiple times and the kept the spring perches in identical locations. But consistently one side was higher than the other.

Long story short. I think I’m going to pay someone to corner balance and set ride height.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 12:28 AM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Did you have slip plates under the wheels or drive around to reset everything before re-measuring? Also, did you disconnect the sway bar (only need to do it to one side)?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 01:43 AM   #3
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I went for a short drive between adjustments. But I did not disconnect the sway bar.
Appreciate 0