GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Race Render + AiM Solo 2 + GoPro H9

EDIT
PROBLEM SOLVED: I SWITCHED TO RACE STUDIO 2. IT EXPORTS THE DATA AS A SINGLE CSV FILE. BE PREPARED TO BE INUNDATED WITH TRACK VIDEOS. #grannyshift

After using my new GoPro last week I got inspired to play around with Race Render. What a PITA. I cannot find any helpful YouTube tutorials focused on integrating AiM data so I'm hoping someone can lend some wisdom. A few basic questions:

1. My AiM device is importing the session data as multiple CSV files (each CSV file is a separate channel). Is that right? Does each file need to be synced to the video individually?
2. Do I need to reformat any of the CSV data so that it can be recognized by Race Render?
3. Does the list below look comprehensive or am I missing some data (at this point my AiM is not pulling obd/can bus).
4. Should I allow Race Render to use my GoPro’s imbedded GPS and telemetry?
Attached Images

Last edited by D_SheerDrivingPleasure; 03-27-2022 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
NYG10744.00
      03-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

We click 'no' on the 'used embedded GPS data' and sync it manually, but would prefer to not have to do this

Edit (answering a bit more of your questions):

To your other questions though, you do need to select all channels and select the highest frequency you are capturing data at (I forget if it's 20 or 50 hz), and export it all into a single csv (it sounds like you're there already, so yay!).

Next, you need to hit 'no' on that embedded telemetry in video prompt, because to my knowledge you can only be using one data source at a time, and you want to be using the csv you just exported from RaceStudio.

You import all the video chunks in order, join them all, and then work to sync the video with the data (many different ways to do this, all fairly painful).

Last, select the start and end times of your clip, start encoding and you're done!

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 03-29-2022 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2022, 11:11 AM   #3
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
We click 'no' on the 'used embedded GPS data' and sync it manually, but would prefer to not have to do this

Edit (answering a bit more of your questions):

To your other questions though, you do need to select all channels and select the highest frequency you are capturing data at (I forget if it's 20 or 50 hz), and export it all into a single csv (it sounds like you're there already, so yay!).

Next, you need to hit 'no' on that embedded telemetry in video prompt, because to my knowledge you can only be using one data source at a time, and you want to be using the csv you just exported from RaceStudio.

You import all the video chunks in order, join them all, and then work to sync the video with the data (many different ways to do this, all fairly painful).

Last, select the start and end times of your clip, start encoding and you're done!

Thanks, SYT. I've sinked up my video with the AiM gps but the lap counter and times are off by 1 lap. Is the solution to manipulate this data directly in the csv file before importing it into race render? How?

Also, is there an easy fix for my G meter being opposite? Left is right and forward is back. Ahhh.

The process is really annoying. I nearly punched my computer monitor. AiM should either release a new and improved smartycam or they should have an export option that works more seamlessly with Race Render.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

So do you use RS3 to get the data from Solo2 and then use RS2 to export that data into a CSV file?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 11:41 AM   #5
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
So do you use RS3 to get the data from Solo2 and then use RS2 to export that data into a CSV file?
The only way I was able to get the CSV data in one file was to import the AiM data into RS2 and export it to CSV from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
The only way I was able to get the CSV data in one file was to import the AiM data into RS2 and export it to CSV from there.
Easy question first: I'm fairly sure I didn't have to go between RS2 and RS3 to export the csv files, I'll poke around and get some steps for you - give me a few days on that front
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, SYT. I've sinked up my video with the AiM gps but the lap counter and times are off by 1 lap. Is the solution to manipulate this data directly in the csv file before importing it into race render? How?

Also, is there an easy fix for my G meter being opposite? Left is right and forward is back. Ahhh.

The process is really annoying. I nearly punched my computer monitor. AiM should either release a new and improved smartycam or they should have an export option that works more seamlessly with Race Render.
Well, that's precisely what you pay for with the AIM Smartycam solution: to be rid of this whole process! It's not exactly that simple, but that's precisely the pain ppl pay to reduce with their solution (and suffer through other pieces, like the muuuch lower image quality)

The times being off by a lap can be adjusted by editing the input solo data (in RR, mind you - by right clicking on the data in the upper right hand list). You get a fairly in-depth list of things you can adjust there, and skipping a lap is one of them. For sure don't do any csv editing!

You should be able to fix the G-meter by right clicking on it, or going into 'settings' or options: you can do simple things like determine the amount of digits to show or change the where it's getting the inputs for (it's useful to look at RS2/3 in a parallel window to see what data channel you need to be using). You can always create a math channel in RR (or RS2/3) to calculate what you need prior to displaying it.

To be fair to RR, you can also save a lot of these things as presets (i think they are called Templates) so every new video you aren't fiddling around with it as much.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2022, 12:39 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Easy question first: I'm fairly sure I didn't have to go between RS2 and RS3 to export the csv files, I'll poke around and get some steps for you - give me a few days on that front
Well, it looks like I stand corrected:

I pull the data from the Solo2DL using Race Studio 3, as you do. Next, I click on the RS2: Analysis button/shortcut in RS3 to get to the place where I can dive into the details of the sessions themselves, which is also where you're able to export them. I trust that's how you're transitioning between them too?

As of now, although RS3 is widely used, RS3: Analysis is still in Beta stages, and although you're able to use it and it has cool features, it's not part of the broadly published RS3 suite yet (at least it wasn't as of a few months ago). So the Analysis part of Race Studio 3 is the same as it was in RS2.

The Analysis program of RS2 is still highly functional and great for a lot of things, although I have poked around with the beta of RS3: Analysis and it has some cool new things too (although the interface is *very* different to RS2: Analysis), for simple and straightforward tasks I still prefer RS2: Analysis.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2022, 12:40 PM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
See above for the convoluted answer, the short version of which is "Yes, although in RS3 the shortcut to the Analysis side takes you to RS2:Analysis, so it's less cumbersome than it might seem."

Hope that helps,
      04-01-2022, 06:00 AM   #10
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Thanks D. Very helpful. I just got the SoloDL and have been dreading overlaying my Hero10 videos and data. Headed to VIR next week, so will have some compelling video and data to spend the weekend on and I'll make a YouTube video guide as well once I figure this out. Aim and RR need to hire an EUX expert to improve ease of use for sure!
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #11
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

So gopro automatically splits sessions into manageable 4GB chunks. What software are you guys using to join/merge your sessions? I tired using the video editior software included with Windows 10/11 but it's taking several hours to merge the 2 files. Should I give up trying to maintain the original 1080 / 60fps?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 08:26 AM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
So gopro automatically splits sessions into manageable 4GB chunks. What software are you guys using to join/merge your sessions? I tired using the video editior software included with Windows 10/11 but it's taking several hours to merge the 2 files. Should I give up trying to maintain the original 1080 / 60fps?

Thanks.
No surrender! We do 4k60, make the computer work
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 08:50 AM   #13
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:

Thanks.
If you use the GoPro app they come off the camera as one clip, then you can splice the bit you want in the GoPro app. Very easy to do, processes quite quickly. This is how I do it, but I'm not overlaying it with any data.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 09:16 AM   #14
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

Thanks.
And I have good news for you, RR does that by itself! You take all the files as they come directly from the gopro (in those 4gb chunks), and add them to the video input on the top right. Make sure they are in order (they should be by default), and then select them all, right click and then 'join' - that'll seamlessly put them all one after the other

Tip: when selecting the video input initially it only allows you to select one file: grab the first one. Then, once you have it listed in RR, go to where it says something like 'add video file' and then you can select the rest of them at once.

Edit: we'll invite you over for a seminar next time we're editing some video so you see how it works start to finish

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 04-06-2022 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 11:44 AM   #15
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I have good news for you, RR does that by itself! You take all the files as they come directly from the gopro (in those 4gb chunks), and add them to the video input on the top right. Make sure they are in order (they should be by default), and then select them all, right click and then 'join' - that'll seamlessly put them all one after the other

Tip: when selecting the video input initially it only allows you to select one file: grab the first one. Then, once you have it listed in RR, go to where it says something like 'add video file' and then you can select the rest of them at once.

Edit: we'll invite you over for a seminar next time we're editing some video so you see how it works start to finish

I'll bring some Bavarian themed snacks.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00
NYG10744.00
      04-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #16
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote: