ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-29-2021, 01:44 AM   #1
v1nc3
China
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 competition

Hey guys, i just tried my m3 on track. Currently running stock suspension, near stock alignment.

tires: Michelin cup2connect 265/295 30 R20
brake mods: Dixcel Z pads, goodridge brakelines,dixcel dur fluid

after the first run, do have a few qiestions that i wanna just throw out here for discussion.
1. I felt the car being quite oversteering during mid-high speed corner entry. dun kno if that's due to my weight transfer being too sudden or something wrong with my braking skills

2. car is also a bit understeery during slow corner entry.

If anyone has the similar experiences with the stock suspension, please feel free to drop some notes on how you modulate your setup or driving style to cope with the car, and sqeeze a better laptime out of it.
Appreciate 3
      11-08-2021, 11:39 PM   #2
BetrayMyWord
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 M4

Hi v1nc3, great video. Thanks for sharing.

Are you running with DSC on or MDM on? From my experience the nannies affected the car's dynamics a lot. Without them you would be able to play with the car tail, thus bringing more rotation for you corner entries and reducing the understeers you mentioned.

Also, stock alignment does not have enough camber to help the car rotate, and it kills tires easily. A lot of people coming to this platform would start with a set of aftermarket camber plates to achieve ideal alignment numbers.

Other than that, the stock suspension itself is very confidence-inspiring IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #3
v1nc3
China
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetrayMyWord View Post
Hi v1nc3, great video. Thanks for sharing.

Are you running with DSC on or MDM on? From my experience the nannies affected the car's dynamics a lot. Without them you would be able to play with the car tail, thus bringing more rotation for you corner entries and reducing the understeers you mentioned.

Also, stock alignment does not have enough camber to help the car rotate, and it kills tires easily. A lot of people coming to this platform would start with a set of aftermarket camber plates to achieve ideal alignment numbers.

Other than that, the stock suspension itself is very confidence-inspiring IMO.
I'm running with MDM on, since that I heard MDM on the competition model has updated TC and ESP system that allow pro drivers to lap even slightly faster time on the nordschleife. But honestly, it's my first time tracking this car, I just didn't have the gut to turn everything off, hahaha. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time see if i get around any faster. I slipped in all first three corners during warm-up lap, then i just pussied out.

Regarding alignment, rear camber i got -2 (think this is max i could go), and front camber wasn't adjustable. Really interested in keeping the stock shocks and springs, since they do me just fine eating curbs on the track, keep tires on the ground. So I am just wondering from your experiences, is there any pros and cons between camber plates vs. adjustable lower control arms.

I am currently leaning towards LCA, just from previous experiences of having rattling coilovers with fish-eye bearings. Or is it actually possible that some brand of camber plates does not rattle at all even after long-term track abuse and daily driving. Cuz that will definitely tilt the pendium, since camber plates would be way easier to adjust on the alignment machine.
Appreciate 0