BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #1
Sabot93
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jeep Rubicon

First Time BMW Buyer

Hello!

New poster here. I wanted to get some advice from the community to help my research for the right BMW.

I am currently deployed to the middle east and looking to purchasing my first BMW when I return home. My father has had multiple BMWs in the past so I kind of grew up with them. I apologize if there is already posts on this I just don't have the time to sift through to find them in my current situation.

I think I am set on the X5M. I love the practicality of having an SUV with the performance. I am looking at the 2015-2018 models. I will 100% get an extended warranty (father's advice) and don't want to go over 50k miles on a used vehicle.

Is there any advice on this model? Reliability, maintenance, things to look at before buying? It looks like I can get one around 50k miles for 45k. Is this a good mileage to look at or is it ok to look at ones around the 75k miles. When do they start having problems? What does an extended warranty typically cost and is there wiggle room with the dealership to drop the price down?

Any general advice on this model in regards to purchasing used would be great. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot93 View Post
Hello!

New poster here. I wanted to get some advice from the community to help my research for the right BMW.

I am currently deployed to the middle east and looking to purchasing my first BMW when I return home. My father has had multiple BMWs in the past so I kind of grew up with them. I apologize if there is already posts on this I just don't have the time to sift through to find them in my current situation.

I think I am set on the X5M. I love the practicality of having an SUV with the performance. I am looking at the 2015-2018 models. I will 100% get an extended warranty (father's advice) and don't want to go over 50k miles on a used vehicle.

Is there any advice on this model? Reliability, maintenance, things to look at before buying? It looks like I can get one around 50k miles for 45k. Is this a good mileage to look at or is it ok to look at ones around the 75k miles. When do they start having problems? What does an extended warranty typically cost and is there wiggle room with the dealership to drop the price down?

Any general advice on this model in regards to purchasing used would be great. Thanks in advance!
Do not buy one with 50k miles. Plenty of options out there on 18s near the 65k mark.

Check tires. Make sure you get wheel and rim warranty.

Check brakes before leaving dealership (not that it matter because it will squeak regardless but check rotor lips and size).

Check airbags.
Check airbag compressor if possible (I got chassis codes in cold weather that took two weeks to repair under warranty)

Check all previous codes thrown if possible.

Check oil (my oil was filthy from the dealer. Kind of embarrassing).

Check steering column up and down.

That's what I've learned on my girl. She's good otherwise.
      07-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I personally haven't experienced any mechanical issues with my X5M, since purchasing it back in Nov 2019. I have replaced the pads and rotors, completed full maintenance of all fluids, spark plugs and belts. The only issues was that, I needed to replaced the rear air bags due to a sag in the right bag. Always replace them in pairs. other than that, my X5M has been bullet proof thus far. I will say this, ensure that you have a Pre-Purchase Inspection prior, get a detailed history of the vehicle not just Carfax.

The only thing, that I done to the vehicle has been cosmetic, with interior and exterior carbon fiber upgrades. Oh, another thing if you can't obtain service records, don't assume services were done. And get the car into a shop, and have them change out all fluids, so that your starting from square one. Get a extended warranty if possible.
      07-14-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Glad you're set on warranty
Appreciate 0