Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Will they charge for rotors/calipers wear and tear on lease return?

On lease return, I know that the tires should pass minimum tread depth. Besides this, will I get dinged for stress cracks on rotors and badly discolored calipers from tracking? TIA.
      05-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

I think it depends on the dealer if they want to break your balls about it.

In reality, the rotors are a consumable item and if you've got stock brakepads on the car when you return it then you shouldn't be responsible for either. You didn't design the car to get no airflow to the front brakes with low temperature paint.

Basically, you should be able to fight it easily.
Appreciate 1
ABenLauda370.50
      05-21-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I think it depends on the dealer if they want to break your balls about it.

In reality, the rotors are a consumable item and if you've got stock brakepads on the car when you return it then you shouldn't be responsible for either. You didn't design the car to get no airflow to the front brakes with low temperature paint.

Basically, you should be able to fight it easily.
Should camber plates and SS lines be removed as well?
      05-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
Should camber plates and SS lines be removed as well?
I would. Less reasons for them to assume you tracked it then blame you for stuff they should still be responsible for. Plus I'm sure you can recoup some money on the camber plates.
Appreciate 1
ABenLauda370.50
      05-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #5
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

I have a similar question as OP. What if the car came with carbon brakes and I return it at end of lease with steel brakes? Everything is in great shape, just carbons swapped for steel rotors? My line would be something like "hey I wore out the stock rotors and replaced with equivalent, its fully functional" I would have to try hard to say it with a straight face because my car will only have like 13-14k miles when I turn it in at end of lease haha
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I have a similar question as OP. What if the car came with carbon brakes and I return it at end of lease with steel brakes? Everything is in great shape, just carbons swapped for steel rotors? My line would be something like "hey I wore out the stock rotors and replaced with equivalent, its fully functional" I would have to try hard to say it with a straight face because my car will only have like 13-14k miles when I turn it in at end of lease haha
Pretty sure they'll fight you hard to pay for the original CCBs the car came with. One could part out the expensive parts on a car like this (zcp seats with some base 3 series seats, OLED tail lights with regular lights, 763M with some base 18" wheels, M perf exhaust with non zcp exhaust, cf hood with regular hood etc.) and they wouldn't want that.

I recall reading about something similar where someone pulled this kind of shit with a GTS(?). Don't think it was a lease though.
      05-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #7
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
Pretty sure they'll fight you hard to pay for the original CCBs the car came with. One could part out the expensive parts on a car like this (zcp seats with some base 3 series seats, OLED tail lights with regular lights, 763M with some base 18" wheels, M perf exhaust with non zcp exhaust, cf hood with regular hood etc.) and they wouldn't want that.

I recall reading about something similar where someone pulled this kind of shit with a GTS(?). Don't think it was a lease though.
haha you have a fair point.

Tell you what though. If I do end up not buying this CS and turning it back in, I am definitely taking the lithium battery. Its the exact same dimensions as the battery in my Lotus and I for sure am not turning in a lease with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #8
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
They might miss it on the initial inspection but before auction they'll check the sticker and make sure everything is there. Since the CCB are a package option and they're significantly more expensive than iron - you can bet that they'll catch it and charge you out the ASS for it. I wouldn't risk this.

Rotor/Caliper swap is easy af to do yourself on this car - unless you sold the CCB then find a used set or from a salvage.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
They might miss it on the initial inspection but before auction they'll check the sticker and make sure everything is there. Since the CCB are a package option and they're significantly more expensive than iron - you can bet that they'll catch it and charge you out the ASS for it. I wouldn't risk this.

Rotor/Caliper swap is easy af to do yourself on this car - unless you sold the CCB then find a used set or from a salvage.
Fair point by you and OP. I won't tempt fate and will put the CCBs back on if I turn the car in.

They are nice and wrapped up from when I took them off at 3500 miles and I can put them on in my garage in half hour (I swapped the iron rotors on in the first place).
Appreciate 1
NYG10742.50