Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Helmet recommendation

So I rented a helmet for my first track day, and as I’ve decided I want to do this more often I figured I should pick up a helmet. There’s a lot out there even in the $500 or less bracket. Some things I noticed about the rental helmet (unknown racequip model)

1. Fairly heavy, felt like 4-5 lbs. Would love something slightly lighter but not a massive deal - I’ll just work out neck a little more
2. Felt like I had very little head room with the headliner with stock seats lowered all the way down. I had to sort of slouch a bit, otherwise if I was straight up / full spine extension, I’d be grazing the roof. I’m 6ft but quite a long / lean build for reference.
3. I wear glasses, I did okay with visibility on the day but a little more open visor would be a wishlist item.

All that said I tried ordering a SA2020 Bell M8 primarily for the brand rep and large visor section, but they’re sold out with unknown ETA. So with that, does anyone have any recommendations at what to look at / for?
      05-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Someone more experienced might know this better than me, but I am not sure how safe wearing just a helmet without any sort of HANS device actually is. Especially in a car with so many airbags and no front cage.

Had to wear a helmet once and due to the integrated head restraint that curves forward on the stock seat, my head was pushed forward a bit too much. Would have had to lean the seat back, but I like to sit more upright. No issues with headroom at 6'2, but I have a sedan.
      05-10-2021, 11:06 AM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Had to wear a helmet once and due to the integrated head restraint that curves forward on the stock seat, my head was pushed forward a bit too much. Would have had to lean the seat back, but I like to sit more upright. No issues with headroom at 6'2, but I have a sedan.
They’re required on all US tracks AFAIK, but I get what you’re saying. Whiplash is one of, if not, the leading cause of concussion / TBI... and I know all about that (username as to why). I actually had to recline my seat further back than I like to accommodate the helmet due to the fixed headrest on our cars. Will definitely be looking to also do a HANS or similar system at some point - the only one I know of that works with 3 pointers is the Simpson Hybrid S which is kind of pricy. But I’m pretty big on safety so I might just bite the bullet on that.
      05-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

The best helmet will be the one that fits comfortably. Every company fits differently.

I'm 6'2 - LOVE my Super Bandit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sim-6210008
Appreciate 1
///Mani36.00
      05-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
They’re required on all US tracks AFAIK, but I get what you’re saying. Whiplash is one of, if not, the leading cause of concussion / TBI... and I know all about that (username as to why). I actually had to recline my seat further back than I like to accommodate the helmet due to the fixed headrest on our cars. Will definitely be looking to also do a HANS or similar system at some point - the only one I know of that works with 3 pointers is the Simpson Hybrid S which is kind of pricy. But I’m pretty big on safety so I might just bite the bullet on that.
Ah, I see. Over here, it depends on the event organiser. But we can also keep our windows up.
      05-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I have a Stilo, had a Bell prior to that. Whatever your budget is, make sure you try it on and keep it on a solid 30 minutes. All melons are not the same, so what works for me may not work for you.

My current Stilo is ~1k, next helmet will be the $2.7k version that has FIA approval. Melons are valuable!

Find a place that has several and sit down and relax while trying them on. Make sure they meet the latest approval standard
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      05-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #7
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

I have an Arai GP-5W which I like a lot, very comfortable. I went through 3 or 4 helmets before finding the Arai. Bell in particular are very round and put pressure on my forehead. Arai are more oval shaped. Find a race shop and try them on, or order a few different options from a place with free returns so you can try them on at home with no pressure.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      05-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #8
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Alrighty looks like I’m booking a trip to my local motorsports store up in Sonoma to try on some helmets!
      05-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #9
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Here's what I'm using, nice helmet and lightweight too.
https://store.windingroad.com/Bell-R...-Helmet-SA2020

Schroth SHR Flex Head Restraint, works well.
https://store.windingroad.com/schrot...pt=With%20Pads

Added a smoked visor as its extra.
https://store.windingroad.com/bell-r...ent-faceshield

And definitely buy this to kill the funk lol.
https://store.windingroad.com/molecu...er-4oz-sprayer

Bought them @ Winding Road in Sonoma. That's the best, go there and try them all, happy hunting
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 05-10-2021 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      05-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #10
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Here's what I'm using, nice helmet and lightweight too.
https://store.windingroad.com/Bell-R...-Helmet-SA2020

Schroth SHR Flex Head Restraint, works well.
https://store.windingroad.com/schrot...pt=With%20Pads

Added a smoked visor as its extra.
https://store.windingroad.com/bell-r...ent-faceshield

And definitely buy this to kill the funk lol.
https://store.windingroad.com/molecu...er-4oz-sprayer

Bought them @ Winding Road in Sonoma. That's the best, go there and try them all, happy hunting
That’s the exact helmet I tried to purchase! Apparently they’re back ordered into the next dimension. Yup Wine Country is exactly where I was gonna head to (at least I think you meant Wine Country, couldn’t find a Winding Road location in NorCal)
      05-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #11
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
That’s the exact helmet I tried to purchase! Apparently they’re back ordered into the next dimension. Yup Wine Country is exactly where I was gonna head to (at least I think you meant Wine Country, couldn’t find a Winding Road location in NorCal)
Lol yeah, fat fingered it
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      05-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #12
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I'm about to try out a Gforce rift carbon. I have it on order from saferacer

Previously I had the cheapest thing money could buy which was a Gforce Pro Eliminator SA2010 which was also totally fine and I have had it for 10 years without major complaint. I'm just trying to find something a bit lighter but overall I like the Gforce full face just fine. I have a pretty typical "large" head.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #13
MaX PL
Major
Rep

I'm looking to replace my helmet as well. I have a Bell M4 SA 2010, which funny enough, SCDA somehow let me run this year for two events despite their emails to run SA2015 and higher. One of the techs also did an actual check and didn't say anything which I found odd. I thought the M4 was SA 2015 which is why used it; apparently theres a yellow sticker on the inside which identifies the SA spec.

Anyway, what's the deal with the carbon fiber helmets? They weigh like 0.5 grams less than regular helmets at 4x or high the cost.
I saw a windingroad top 10 helmets article yesterday which shows weights of their top ten, and the regular helmets are basically the same weight.
Last week at WGI I picked up a carbon Stilo and a regular Stilo at the Little Speed Shop store, I'm guessing the $1000 model, and found no difference in weight.

I want to likely go with a SA2020 Arai or Stilo at around $1000, but are they any better than a $500 Bell M8? The winding road comparison states the M8 has better visibility with the bigger visor which is evident by comparing photos of the various helmets, so that's a plus for me.

I also found an interesting forum post yesterday listing the helmet preference of 2018 F1 drivers. More than half use Bell helmets, second most was Arai, then Schuberth, and last Stilo with like 3 drivers. I mention this because reading various forums, people all seem to recommend Stilo for some reason so I want to know why.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #14
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
I'm looking to replace my helmet as well. I have

I want to likely go with a SA2020 Arai or Stilo at around $1000, but are they any better than a $500 Bell M8? The winding road comparison states the M8 has better visibility with the bigger visor which is evident by comparing photos of the various helmets, so that's a plus for me.

I also found an interesting forum post yesterday listing the helmet preference of 2018 F1 drivers. More than half use Bell helmets, second most was Arai, then Schuberth, and last Stilo with like 3 drivers. I mention this because reading various forums, people all seem to recommend Stilo for some reason so I want to know why.
All honesty they all have pass the Snell testing requirements and designed based on their competition use and users preference (Arai, Bell or Stilo). I bought the M8 because its cost is reasonable, light weight, great field of view (in case you wear glasses), latest SA2020 cert and have yet to read any negative comments on it.
https://smf.org/testing

https://smf.org/standards/sa/2020/SA2020_final.pdf

FAQ from Snell;
Helmet price is not an indication of protective capacity. Although there are Snell certified helmets in different price range, all Snell certified helmets meet the Snell test requirements. In addition to protective capability, other features on a specific helmet, such as graphic design, unique shell and liner combination for different head size, and improved fitting for different head shape, can add a lot to helmet manufacturing cost. Snell standards don’t consider issues like weight, bulk, ventilation, noise reduction, comfort, style or fit quality. You can tell us about these better than we could ever tell you. Shop carefully; a $150 dollar helmet you won’t wear is no bargain.

Last edited by Wanted_M; 05-11-2021 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #15
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
I'm looking to replace my helmet as well. I have a Bell M4 SA 2010, which funny enough, SCDA somehow let me run this year for two events despite their emails to run SA2015 and higher. One of the techs also did an actual check and didn't say anything which I found odd. I thought the M4 was SA 2015 which is why used it; apparently theres a yellow sticker on the inside which identifies the SA spec.

Anyway, what's the deal with the carbon fiber helmets? They weigh like 0.5 grams less than regular helmets at 4x or high the cost.
I saw a windingroad top 10 helmets article yesterday which shows weights of their top ten, and the regular helmets are basically the same weight.
Last week at WGI I picked up a carbon Stilo and a regular Stilo at the Little Speed Shop store, I'm guessing the $1000 model, and found no difference in weight.

F1 is all about $$$, all of their helmets are equally safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #16
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
It is all about fit. For me, I wear a Bell GP3. My wife used to wear a Simpson Bandit and absolutely loved it. However, alot of people are going to Stilo not because it fits, but because the integrated electronics are so convenient.

The pricier the helmets the better the "features" are. Removable and washable padding, anti fog visors, better air flow, etc.

Last edited by bimmerboyE92; 05-11-2021 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #17
ICTZHP
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G06 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
It is all about fit. For me, I wear a Bell GP3. My wife used to wear a Simpson Bandit and absolutely loved it. However, alot of people are going to Stilo not because it fits, but because the integrated electronics are so convenient.

The pricier the helmets the better the "features" are. Removable and washable padding, anti fog visors, better air flow, etc.
Another option for a helmet with integrated coms at a lower price point than Stilo is Roux. For under $600, it comes with Hans anchors installed, headphones, a noise canceling microphone, and integrated drink tube. I've had mine for a few years and really like it.

I've added wiring for ear buds (helps with the race car volume) and a tinted shield.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #18
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

I ended up picking up a G Force Nova. It was the most comfortable of all the helmets that were available - emphasis on available as many sub $500 options were out of stock and seems like they will be for a while
Wanted_M759.00
      05-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #19
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I just picked this up so I can go to the drag strip. It's only 1 pound and fits my bean pretty snugly. Someday I'll try a Bell M8 Carbon but this one looks identical for $350 less. It's not the newest Snell rating but it'll get me 3-5 years until it runs out (2010+ is currently required at Maple Grove).

I'm 6'2" and with my F80 standard seat fully lowered my helmet doesn't bump the headliner. I wear glasses and can easily get them on/off and hands inside the lifted face shield to adjust them. I haven't tried my big polarized Ray Ban sunglasses yet.

Conquer Carbon Fiber Full Face Auto Racing Helmet Snell SA2015 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01NALI6...UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

05-17-2021, 08:44 PM   #20
MaX PL
Major
Rep

I ended up buying an Arai GP7 and it's too small in size large. I wore a Medium with Bell. The eye opening is also so small compared to my Bell.

Returning it as the GP7 isn't even available in XL. Anyway, will give Stilo a try, and if that's not available, will go back to Bell.

As mentioned earlier in the thread by others, I've found out that Stilo and Bell are all backordered. Bell is 8 to 12 weeks and Stilo 4 to 6 weeks at saferacer.
Going to reach out to some other sites to see their availability of Stilo tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #21
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Another update... going to return the G Force this weekend. Comfy helmet but build quality is quite poor. The adjustable padding is held in with velcro and the actual velcro strips and spots have detached from the helmet... so some of the pads would only be held in by pressure from my head -_-
      05-17-2021, 09:16 PM   #22
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
I ended up buying an Arai GP7 and it's too small in size large. I wore a Medium with Bell. The eye opening is also so small compared to my Bell.

Returning it as the GP7 isn't even available in XL. Anyway, will give Stilo a try, and if that's not available, will go back to Bell.

As mentioned earlier in the thread by others, I've found out that Stilo and Bell are all backordered. Bell is 8 to 12 weeks and Stilo 4 to 6 weeks at saferacer.
Going to reach out to some other sites to see their availability of Stilo tomorrow.
We ordered Stilo directly from Simpson (who owns Stilo).
Appreciate 0