ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
Zulu Saffa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Them Wild

Tire/Wheel Advice

I am looking for some direction on where to go/what to do for tire/wheel set up.

My goal was to replace my PSS with cup 2's after this past weekend at COTA, but I just learned that PS Cup 2's are being discontinued, and not sure when or what they will be replaced with. I have the 666m's, so track tires that fit that wheel are really far and few between (would have had to already go off ratio to fit Cup 2's on the 20's).

So it seems that I am going to have to buy wheels and tires. Assuming 18's would be best for track use. I believe they fit over stock (comp) rotors. Really did not intend to break the bank here (as I only wanted to put the Cup 2's on and call it a day) and only do about 6 - 8 track days a year.

Car is bone stock (other than upgraded pads/fluid). Any direction would be appreciated. Square setup vs staggered, wheel diameter/width, tire choice (knowing that Cup 2's are gone). Would consider second hand stock M3/4 18" wheels, but pretty difficult to source locally or get a buyer willing to ship + I would like to go wider than the stock wheel.

Next day is Harris Hill in May, so would like to be dialed in by then.

Appreciate the feedabck.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Saffa View Post
I am looking for some direction on where to go/what to do for tire/wheel set up.

My goal was to replace my PSS with cup 2's after this past weekend at COTA, but I just learned that PS Cup 2's are being discontinued, and not sure when or what they will be replaced with. I have the 666m's, so track tires that fit that wheel are really far and few between (would have had to already go off ratio to fit Cup 2's on the 20's).

So it seems that I am going to have to buy wheels and tires. Assuming 18's would be best for track use. I believe they fit over stock (comp) rotors. Really did not intend to break the bank here (as I only wanted to put the Cup 2's on and call it a day) and only do about 6 - 8 track days a year.

Car is bone stock (other than upgraded pads/fluid). Any direction would be appreciated. Square setup vs staggered, wheel diameter/width, tire choice (knowing that Cup 2's are gone). Would consider second hand stock M3/4 18" wheels, but pretty difficult to source locally or get a buyer willing to ship + I would like to go wider than the stock wheel.

Next day is Harris Hill in May, so would like to be dialed in by then.

Appreciate the feedabck.
Hello

There is no way the Cup2 is being discontinued altogether without being superceded with a Cup2+, a Cup3 etc or another functionally similar tire.
Tirerack shows this
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=60100

I think you have a good option and should stay with the stock wheel setup for 6-8 days a year. Going off ratio is perfectly fine if you run with dsc off.

Anyway, if you want a second set of wheels, definitely get 18" if you do not have ceramics. OEMs would be fine, but at this point if you're going through the effort of having two sets of wheels you might as well benefit from more dedicated track wheels that are wider.

I have 5 sets of the Bimmerworld TA5R in 10.5 square et 36. Fits great in the rear, uses a 12mm spacer up front and allows you to rotate wheels and tires.
There are many wheel options, Titan forged ones are also great.

You will eventually want camber plates once you start chewing up the edges.

In 18" there are infinite options in 275/35 which fits great.
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
APEX has a great guide to which fitments fit stock, with or without spacers, over CCBs, which tires fit best, etc:

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

The size is up to you. I'd personally go with a square, 18in setup so you can rotate the tires. If you do decide to go with 18s, I'd recommend either:

- 18x9.5 ET22 with 265/40R18 (APEX's ARC-8R or EC-7R)
- 18x10 ET25 with 275/35R18 (ditto)

APEX has some other 19 inch setups and staggered setups on their site too, all divided up into categories (daily, track, dual-duty). APEX does flow-formed (ARC-8 (these don't fit stock brakes), EC-7) and forged (ARC-8R, EC-7R) wheels that are direct for bolt on or minimal spacer builds. Check 'em out.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I’m running Titan7 forged 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear wheels on my M4, they are holding up really well. I have hit some curbs and holes hard on the track and they are still true. I have been running Nitto NT01’s 305/35/18 rear and 275/35/18 front with -3 degree front camber and -2 degree rear. The car is really balanced for my driving. I’ve done about 1650 miles in 13 track days this year. Close to 3k miles total when I add in all the track days from last fall of 2020.
PM me if you want to talk.
Attached Images

Last edited by Suds; 04-12-2021 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:16 AM   #5
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Cup2 don't have good 18" sizes. They don't have enough sizes period. It's infuriating.

I was in the same boat as you, looking for the ultimate street tire that can handle track days. I settled on Apex SM10 19x9.5 +22 and 19x11 +44 with PS4S 275/30-19 and 305/30/19.

The PS4S is still OK and trackable, I personally haven't found a better dual purpose setup than that although it could exist somewhere.

For what it's worth I just caved and ordered a set of Apex ARC8R forged 18x10 +25 all around with NT01 275/35/18, so I can just keep my PS4S for the street and not trash them at the track anymore. But you can get away with MPS4S for a while
Appreciate 0