XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #1
willinla
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw X5 xDrive50i

Windshield wiper problem with E70

I have been driving my x5 in Los Angeles so I do not often use the wiper until I went to Florida after I use it there almost every day, I recently found out that my wipers of loud noise, especially in the use of a few minutes later, I wonder if is too tight, above the glass is very dry, I changed two new wipers, problems still exist, how to solve it? thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

What brand wipers are you using?

Have you tried clay baring or polishing the glass?
      03-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
willinla
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
What brand wipers are you using?

Have you tried clay baring or polishing the glass?
Thank you for your reply. I have used many brands, such as RAIN-X, BOSCH and OEM bought by Amazon... But they didn't work out……

I have not tried clay baring or polishing the glass……

Could you tell me how to do this specifically?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Ok. Those are all quality blades so it sounds like the problem is with the glass.

Clay baring is the process of gliding a clay bar across a surface to remove contaminates embedded in it, that do not come out during normal cleaning.

Go to Autozone, Advanced Auto or any other local auto shop ( or online- Detailers Domain, Chemical Guys, etc) and buy a clay bar kit. The kit includes a block of clay, quick detailer and sometimes a microfiber towel.

Start off by cleaning the glass with normal glass cleaner to remove the loose dirt ( or just wash the entire car). Spray the quick detailer on a section of the windshield. Break off a piece of the clay bar and gently rub it back and forth over the area you just sprayed. You will feel grittiness at first but then after a few passes it should start feeling much smoother. Flip the clay bar over and you will see everything you just pulled out. Using a microfiber towel, wipe that area off. Fold the clay over a few times until it shows clean and then move to another section of the windshield and repeat the process. It’s very simple. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that illustrate the process as well.

When you are done with the windshield, I like to break out the glass cleaner one more time just to wipe up anything that might be left on the glass. I like to apply a chemical sealant or coating to the glass to help protect it and make it even slicker but that’s personal preference.

Just FYI, you can use the clay on all the painted surfaces as well. Makes the paint buttery smoooooth.
      03-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
willinla
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Ok. Those are all quality blades so it sounds like the problem is with the glass.

Clay baring is the process of gliding a clay bar across a surface to remove contaminates embedded in it, that do not come out during normal cleaning.

Go to Autozone, Advanced Auto or any other local auto shop ( or online- Detailers Domain, Chemical Guys, etc) and buy a clay bar kit. The kit includes a block of clay, quick detailer and sometimes a microfiber towel.

Start off by cleaning the glass with normal glass cleaner to remove the loose dirt ( or just wash the entire car). Spray the quick detailer on a section of the windshield. Break off a piece of the clay bar and gently rub it back and forth over the area you just sprayed. You will feel grittiness at first but then after a few passes it should start feeling much smoother. Flip the clay bar over and you will see everything you just pulled out. Using a microfiber towel, wipe that area off. Fold the clay over a few times until it shows clean and then move to another section of the windshield and repeat the process. It’s very simple. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that illustrate the process as well.

When you are done with the windshield, I like to break out the glass cleaner one more time just to wipe up anything that might be left on the glass. I like to apply a chemical sealant or coating to the glass to help protect it and make it even slicker but that’s personal preference.

Just FYI, you can use the clay on all the painted surfaces as well. Makes the paint buttery smoooooth.
will do! thanks !!
Appreciate 0