BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

03-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 // 2020 M2CS

Need to rebuild or no?

Hello all,

I have a set of AST 5200 2-ways with remote reservoirs. Recently the retaining clip on top of the shock, where the reservoir hose and shock meet, broke off. This caused the hose to blow off and the fluid inside of the shock to spray out.

I probably drove the car 150-200 street miles from the time this happened until I realized what had happened.

In my shoes, would you send the shock out to have AST look it over and "rebuild" it - or - would you just get a new clip, refill/charge the shock and call it a day? Pics to show what happened.

Also - maybe I am being naive - but that top of the shock where the hose mates with the shock looks bent - maybe that's how it comes from the factory? :

Thanks for the opinions and thoughts.
Attached Images

Current Garage:
2012 M3 ZCP, Mineral White, DCT: Track Build
2020 M2CS, Misano Blue, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
JScheier
Private
Rep
Drives: GTS3 BMW E36 in NASA

Yes, that is definitely bent, so it will need to be replaced. I use Inertia Labs to rebuild my ASTs (now HVTs). I know AST_USA is now in California, so that's another way to go.

As far as a rebuild, I usually rebuild in pairs. How many miles since the last rebuild? Any sign of dampness on the front dampers?

Also I'd look into why that failed in the first place. The top of the shaft makes a figure 8 as it travels through its range of motion. Looks like the remote line probably made contact somewhere in that range of motion, leading to the bend and ultimate failure of the connection. Might have to pull some camber or caster out so that you don't have that issue again. Might be able to get a different remote connection that improves on the clearance in that area. Definitely send whomever you get to rebuild / repair photos of the area so they know what they are working with.
Appreciate 1
MinionM3492.00