R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #1
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Camber Plates for MCS Suspension

I'm in the process of specing and ordering my MCS 3WR suspension and wanted some opinions on camber plates. I currently have Ground Control camber plates with my B16Ds, and a set of Milway Streets new in a box. The Milways will need an adapter for 2.25-inch springs which they said they may be able to make (waiting for confirmation), but these are also the street plates. I can also get new Ground Control plates with my MCS order as I’ll probably sell the B16Ds with the current plates.

This car will be street and track as many here are, but I want to ask some thoughts on plates as I need as much information as possible. I don’t want to make yet another change or have another damn I wish I would have done that moment. I know better and should have gone with MCS in the first place so am asking the question on the plates so I can make the best decision possible. Milway, Ground Control, Vorshlag, and street or race?

I’m happy to hear any other suggestions as well, as I want to this to be the final suspension for the time being. I’m want to be done building and “need” to hit the track.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate the knowledge!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

You will not be disappointed with the MCS 3WR and by now we have some pretty good settings for it.

I've used GC Race since the beginning of time and they work well. Milway looks interesting more as a competitor to the GC Street, where I might choose Milway instead
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      03-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the feedback, I'm leaning towards the GC race. The Milway Streets sound interesting if I can cut some noise. I do need to do some highway driving from time to time so I must consider them. My current GCs can be a bit noisy but not totally annoying.

Everything I hear about the MCS on multiple platforms is great. I'm looking forward to the switch.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
Thank you for the feedback, I'm leaning towards the GC race. The Milway Streets sound interesting if I can cut some noise. I do need to do some highway driving from time to time so I must consider them. My current GCs can be a bit noisy but not totally annoying.

Everything I hear about the MCS on multiple platforms is great. I'm looking forward to the switch.
I drive really long distances with both my MCS 3WR track cars and there are zero issues. The MCS 3WR suspension is remarkably comfortable, if the car had stock seats it would feel comparable to OEM despite really high rates.

I do 10h drives per way multiple times a year and have zero complaints about noise/NVH/etc from the suspension. If I did I would have swapped plates already, noises drive me bananas
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      03-04-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

That is the feedback I was looking for thank you!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      03-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #6
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
That is the feedback I was looking for thank you!
With the GC race camber plates, noise is often a sign to break them down and clean/lubricate them. The bearings get dirty and restrict articulation. Otherwise they're phenomenal!

Also, consider getting Torrington bearings for the spring mounts. They eliminate bind which also is a common noise complaint when turning the wheel at slow speeds. Easy $60 solution.
      03-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #7
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you that is very helpful. I believe I will go with the Ground Control plates I have. There is a retrofit for the 2.25 inch springs so that beats buying new plates as these only have 1k miles on them.

I had to get those bearing for the Bilsteins as well for that exact same reason.

I appreciate the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #8
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

I recently switched from GC to Vorshlag when I upgraded from MP HAS to B16. I did this mainly because I want to be able to easily switch from a street camber setting to a more aggressive track setting (say, -1.5 to -3.0ish). With the GC plates, this usually means you have to flip the bolts from their "street" to "race" configuration, which is kind of a PITA. With the Vorshlag's, my understanding is that their design is such that this isn't necessary (actually have my alignment scheduled for Saturday, so will be sussing that out specifically).

Also, Vorshlag claims better durability and less upkeep needed due to use of a larger spherical bearing, as well as sealed radial ball bearings.
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      03-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #9
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Another vote for GC race for full control of caster/camber. I'm not a stickler for NVH like others.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      03-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #10
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
I recently switched from GC to Vorshlag when I upgraded from MP HAS to B16. I did this mainly because I want to be able to easily switch from a street camber setting to a more aggressive track setting (say, -1.5 to -3.0ish). With the GC plates, this usually means you have to flip the bolts from their "street" to "race" configuration, which is kind of a PITA. With the Vorshlag's, my understanding is that their design is such that this isn't necessary (actually have my alignment scheduled for Saturday, so will be sussing that out specifically).

Also, Vorshlag claims better durability and less upkeep needed due to use of a larger spherical bearing, as well as sealed radial ball bearings.
Having to change back and forth between configurations is a concern. I'm at -2.5 front camber at the moment but in the future I can see needing to go to a lower more aggressive camber setting. I'll take a look at the Vorshlag plates as well. Thank you for the feedback.
Appreciate 0