Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Engine Stalling every cold start

https://vimeo.com/493476826
The roughest cold start I've ever seen. Video doesn't do it justice. The RPMs fluctuate by 5-600 rpms up to 1200 then drop back down to 600 continuously over and over until the engine stalls. 0 codes on the car but I've been getting around 6-8mpg and my cold start will always stall the car unless its being driven right away or revved. Its been getting worse with colder climate, but completely disappears after 1-2minutes of driving.

Performed a Smooth Running Test on ISTA+ and it showed all 8 injectors as within range hence the no codes. The issue seemed to start after I removed the cold start since i no longer have catted downpipes.

Current mods are:

Catless downpipes
Full 3in IPE exhaust
VRSF Intercoolers
methanol injection without Jb4 map0
gapped ngk plugs
DME stage 2 tune
bcm with jb4
upgraded SSP clutches
afe cold air intakes
stage 1 turbos
Cold start delete
Probably something Im missing but nothing out of the ordinary.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Why not remove the cold start delete? Definitely seems like a problem with that.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
m6NYC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Why not remove the cold start delete? Definitely seems like a problem with that.
I will to try temporarily and see if this remedies the issue. My next door neighbor and friend of many years politely asked if I could lower the exhaust sound as I work on call and my schedule is 24/7 mostly in the early am hours.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
m6NYC
Private
Rep

https://vimeo.com/493590712
Updated video of the car actually stalling this was 2 hours ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:18 AM   #5
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
https://vimeo.com/493590712
Updated video of the car actually stalling this was 2 hours ago.
That doesn't sound good at all. This definitely looks like a software issue based on your description.

I would contact DME and tell them the issue. Who knows, maybe you got a corrupt file? If not, flash back to stock then tune again with the cold start delete enabled at the same time as flashing the tune.

Otherwise, I would try a different tune. See if you can explain to a different company that the engine is stalling with a DME cold start delete and would like to get their reassurance that it won't happen if you switch.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
m6NYC
Private
Rep

Quote:
That doesn't sound good at all. This definitely looks like a software issue based on your description.

I would contact DME and tell them the issue. Who knows, maybe you got a corrupt file? If not, flash back to stock then tune again with the cold start delete enabled at the same time as flashing the tune.

Otherwise, I would try a different tune. See if you can explain to a different company that the engine is stalling with a DME cold start delete and would like to get their reassurance that it won't happen if you switch.
Thanks for your response, I sent DME a message. I will try to remove the cold start delete temporarily and see if this persists. I know it is an air-fuel ratio problem because the oscillations of the rpm get worse when i turn off the heat. With it on, slightly more gas consumption and marginally higher rpms, just high enough to prevent it from stalling.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Could it be faulty o2 sensors? Did one get dinged up during the downpipe install? I know when I installed my downpipes recently, I had to order a special o2 removal socket tool to not mess up the wires during removal. Although I would imagine that would throw some kind of code.

I would have also started with the injectors, as that's typical symptom of a leaky fuel injector that eventually burns off after start up and runs okay afterwards. Perhaps it's just on the way out and not throwing a code yet and the cold start delete is just exacerbating the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
m6NYC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Could it be faulty o2 sensors? Did one get dinged up during the downpipe install? I know when I installed my downpipes recently, I had to order a special o2 removal socket tool to not mess up the wires during removal. Although I would imagine that would throw some kind of code.

I would have also started with the injectors, as that's typical symptom of a leaky fuel injector that eventually burns off after start up and runs okay afterwards. Perhaps it's just on the way out and not throwing a code yet and the cold start delete is just exacerbating the issue.
Thanks for your reply. I ended up buying a completely open ended but short stout o2 adapter removal tool from advance auto parts. Can't find the part number online, but it reroutes the cables sideways and out of the way completely. Best 30 bucks spent on tools ever, but your right its possible either of 4 could have gotten damaged. I will order both sets and replace after I reflash both DME's with a non-cold start delete.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
Competition C
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: comp m5

what's up M6....
im in brooklyn also and last month it happend once that i stalled out! i didn't think anything of it until i read your post !
keep this updated
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #10
m6NYC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Competition C View Post
what's up M6....
im in brooklyn also and last month it happend once that i stalled out! i didn't think anything of it until i read your post !
keep this updated
Hey guys, just to update this thread in case someone else has a similar issue.

Found out my smaller axillary coolant tank was slowly leaking, always seems empty. Turbo coolant lines were clean.
My stock plastic intercoolers had a crack and was leaking coolant into the engine.
Replaced them both with VRSF Charge Coolers and my problem is solved.
Also the AFE Cold Air Intakes were throwing off my fuel trim causing a 6-7miles per gallon. Reverted those back to stock with charcoal filter delete and my problems are solved!
Appreciate 0