BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
eidde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6

Weird errors and the Ac stopped cooling

I recently added the carplay module maybe i messed up a wire in the dash?

everything work, on the display

Vented seats light up but don't work and the ac does everything but blow cold
its a 2015 m6
here are the erros

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:37 PM   #2
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Are all those codes recurring (ie if you clear them, do they all come back)?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:54 AM   #3
eidde
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisterB View Post
Are all those codes recurring (ie if you clear them, do they all come back)?

yep come back right away
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:07 AM   #4
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidde View Post
yep come back right away
I just replied to a thread on the F10 5 series forum about errors with the climate/radio panel after CarPlay MMI module install. After seating the blue cable properly, I got power back to my climate/radio panel. But now I am also getting the same errors in IHKA (8011AF, 8011B1, 8011B3, 8011B5, 8011B7) and in ZGM (801C20).

I had an issue seating the blue connector on the back of the climate panel as it would move in and out even when locked. I had powered up the car and found the climate to lose power when the cable was moved. After playing with it a few times, I got it to seat properly. But when the cable was loose, the A/C system and the climate panel would turn on and off. I am worried something got messed up when this happened. For me, these errors return immediately even if I clear them.

Which CarPlay module did you install? I installed the Andream MMI unit. I actually removed a Carlinkit unit and replaced with the Andream unit but I never had these problems when I installed the Carlinkit the first time.
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i

Last edited by GrabacrOne; 12-14-2020 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:14 AM   #5
eidde
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
I just replied to a thread on the F10 5 series forum about errors with the climate/radio panel after CarPlay MMI module install. After seating the blue cable properly, I got power back to my climate/radio panel. But now I am also getting the same errors in IHKA (8011AF, 8011B1, 8011B3, 8011B5, 8011B7) and in ZGM/ZGW (801C20).

I had an issue seating the blue connector on the back of the climate panel as it would move in and out even when locked. I had powered up the car and found the climate to lose power when the cable was moved. After playing with it a few times, I got it to seat properly. But when the cable was loose, the A/C system and the climate panel would turn on and off. I am worried something got messed up when this happened. For me, these errors return immediately even if I clear them.

Which CarPlay module did you install? I installed the Andream MMI unit. I actually removed a Carlinkit unit and replaced with the Andream unit but I never had these problems when I installed the Carlinkit the first time.

I have the Andream I just pulled the ac out again and going to re attach everything
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 02:05 AM   #6
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

I also had climate control issues after the MMI install. It didn't act up right after the install, maybe a couple of months later. So I didn't put one and one together and link the source of the issue to the MMI install.

For one thing, my HVAC was not blowing cold air and there was no fan speed control. It would just turn on/off at low speed, that's it. Weird thing is the rear climate control fan control worked fine. Later the fan stopped blowing all together and the HVAC screen was blank. First culprit I thought of was a blown fuse. Checked all fuses, all intact.

Later my fan would stay on nonstop even with the car off. No heat or AC, just the fan. And randomly the fan would turn back on while the car was off for extended periods. So this meant that the fan motor was still working and that was not the culprit. The HVAC display was still blank and none of the controls worked. It was draining my battery and I was paranoid that it would kill my battery. I had to park my car with a battery tender. At this point I suspected the FSU (final stage unit aka blower resistor) to be the culprit, a common issue on older BMWs.

Took it to the dealer and they confirmed the same symptoms. They said they had to change the HVAC panel. I was skeptical but hey, the car is under extended warranty, who am I to complain. After seeing the price of a new panel, I said YIKES! (thanks for that warranty!) Later, I get a call back from the advisor saying it was spontaneously resolved! They tried and tried and couldn't reproduce the symptoms again so they put the car back together. I was even more skeptical now but they graciously waived my diagnostic fee and sent me on my way (5 days in a loaner for free too They said if it ever comes back they'll take care of it.

It's been a year now, zero issues since. I've now realized that the cause HAD to have been the MMI install! I must have dislodged a connector or inadvertently knocked something out of whack. The only other occasion the dash panels had been disassembled after the install was at the dealer. So they must have adjusted everything back as it should have been. I'm just glad they didn't notice my MMI unit! You know they would have definitely denied my warranty claim with that and rightfully charged me the diagnostic fee. Lol.

So lesson learned. After your MMI install, make sure to check your HVAC, navigation and audio functions thoroughly. Any monkey business going on with any of those systems afterward should be attributable to the MMI until proven otherwise. Once ruled out, then look at the stock OEM components/wiring. And I'm the one usually telling others about Occam's Razor. Lol.

I've owned older BMWs so my mind has been poisoned to assume that electronic gremlins are common to BMWs and are to be expected as a consequence of ownership. Bad assumption. This car has turned out to be way more reliable than I've expected and the ones I've owned in the past.
      12-14-2020, 02:38 AM   #7
eidde
Private First Class
Rep

ok was the blue cable!! Thanks

the trick is to make sure the black latch is all the way down before you insert the plug
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 02:49 AM   #8
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

the trick is to make sure the black latch is all the way down before you insert the plug
Did this clear the error codes in IHKA and ZGM as well?
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:10 AM   #9
eidde
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did this clear the error codes in IHKA and ZGM as well?
I cleared them manually, and they didn't come back. They were coming right back right away.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:14 AM   #10
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I cleared them manually, and they didn't come back. They were coming right back right away.
Ok great! Will give it a shot again and update. So the latch should be set all the way down (away from the wires) before plugging in and moving up to lock?

Last edited by GrabacrOne; 12-14-2020 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:44 AM   #11
eidde
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok great! Will give it a shot again and update. So the latch should be set all the way down (away from the wires) before plugging in and moving up to lock?

correct all the way down,
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 03:06 AM   #12
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

correct all the way down,
Went through and reseated all the connectors and I was able to clear the errors in IHKA. The one error in ZGM (801C20) is still there but maybe this will clear on its own eventually since it's related to the error memory. Is this one still recurring for you?

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 11:44 PM   #13
eidde
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Went through and reseated all the connectors and I was able to clear the errors in IHKA. The one error in ZGM (801C20) is still there but maybe this will clear on its own eventually since it's related to the error memory. Is this one still recurring for you?

YES , that is my belief also . That the memory is full and will clear up on its own
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #14
binbin
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 528i

Quote:

WOW...Thanks, i had no cold air and AC blowing just hot air...compressor/clutch was not engaging.

This happened after i installed after-market backup camera. Took the climate control panel out again and reseated the "BLUE" tab...voila!...ac cold air back!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:34 PM   #15
eidde
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin View Post
Quote:

WOW...Thanks, i had no cold air and AC blowing just hot air...compressor/clutch was not engaging.

This happened after i installed after-market backup camera. Took the climate control panel out again and reseated the "BLUE" tab...voila!...ac cold air back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin View Post
Quote:

Glad I could help
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:26 AM   #16
enpowers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i

Same problem, black connector

Just installed an MMI for CarPlay in my 2015 535i today and had problems with no A/C or heat after putting everything back together. Did a whole lot of research and checked a whole lot of fuses after compressor clutch was not engaging. Checked the blue clip on the back of the climate control unit and everything was fine there…checked the black clip and the blower kicked on automatically once I pushed it in a little more. Had to do a bit of wiggling but heard one final click as I reattached it one more time and A/C came back. Moral of the post, if it’s not the blue one, check the black one.
Appreciate 3
Beast27358.00
SSJAR26.50