Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
architecture&design
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 Alpha Romeo QV

2014 F10 M5 - Xenon Headlamp Turning Bulb identification/swap

My 2014 M5 has the Xenon Headlamps and I do not desire to do a full LED swap due to the costs. The only thing that really bugs me is the inner lamp (that only seems to come on when you turn or have the turn signal on) is SUCH a different color temperature than the rest of the lights in the assemble. I'm trying to read through the posts but they are dominated by full LED swaps, and I cannot seem to locate a simple diagram that identifies this inner bulb I'm talking about.

What I would hope to do is simply swap out whatever bulb this is a cooler color temperature, either of the same type of bulb with a different Kelvin or even a retrofit alternative (like LED replacements for halogens) if possible.

Does anyone know that light/bulb this is called and if what I'm desiring is possible?

Name:  IMG_0351.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0352.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0353.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  128.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
EMETREE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

To replace the bulb you'd need a H7 bulb
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 03:26 AM   #3
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

If it's an H7 it will definitely be available as an LED type. Make sure you get one that is error free.

4300K Color/temp is what you need but not easily available. You'd probably be good with 5000K though it's hard to tell. You'd want to buy a set with a return policy in case you have to do a bit of trial and error.

As a side note I'd highly recommend Osram CBI bulbs for your main headlights if you can't upgrade to LED. Nice, crisp white and they improve visibility dramatically. They'll complement H7 LEDs nicely.
      12-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
EMETREE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyfeller View Post
If it's an H7 it will definitely be available as an LED type. Make sure you get one that is error free.

4300K Color/temp is what you need but not easily available. You'd probably be good with 5000K though it's hard to tell. You'd want to buy a set with a return policy in case you have to do a bit of trial and error.

As a side note I'd highly recommend Osram CBI bulbs for your main headlights if you can't upgrade to LED. Nice, crisp white and they improve visibility dramatically. They'll complement H7 LEDs nicely.
I second this! I have CBI on my M5 and had them on my old M3. They're clear as day at night and mind ykou I have a dark tinted windshield and I can see clearly. I would definitely get a nice H7 and the CBIs.
I just ordered a H7 bulb non led to match the CBIs
Appreciate 0