08-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Need help - car not moving making crackling sound

Hi guys,
Last night I took off at a traffic light and I heard a bang and the car lost power and it started to make crackling sound as if it was coming from the rear wheels and something was turning.

When I put the car in neutral the sound stops. However the sound comes again when the car is in drive or reverse and it's undriveable. It feels like that the connection to turn the wheels broke.

Got it towed to a local Indy shop in Northern Virginia.

On the right wheel (passenger-side) there is a splash of grease as you can see in the pictures. There is no grease on the left (driver side) wheel.

There was also no leakage of oil which tells me that there is nothing wrong with the differential.

Any idea what broke and what type of cost am I looking at? The car is out of warranty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
vlad_the_impaler
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, 1989 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliusa View Post
Hi guys,
Last night I took off at a traffic light and I heard a bang and the car lost power and it started to make crackling sound as if it was coming from the rear wheels and something was turning.

When I put the car in neutral the sound stops. However the sound comes again when the car is in drive or reverse and it's undriveable. It feels like that the connection to turn the wheels broke.

On the right wheel (passenger-side) there is a splash of grease as you can see in the pictures. There is no grease on the left (driver side) wheel.

There was also no leakage of oil which tells me that there is nothing wrong with the differential.

Any idea what broke and what type of cost am I looking at? The car is out of warranty.
If I had to bet, you probably blew a rear axle. That explains the grease splattered all over the place.
Appreciate 1
aliusa86.00
      08-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 M, 14 BMW M5

is that common?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #4
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_the_impaler View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

If I had to bet, you probably blew a rear axle. That explains the grease splattered all over the place.
I did some research and you are probably right. It could be the right rear axle. I'll find out once the shop checks it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:16 AM   #5
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Yeh half shaft
Not common unless lots of hard launches
Appreciate 1
aliusa86.00
      08-24-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Definitely looks like a broken axle and your description confirms it. Shouldn't be too costly to repair. You can find used axles pretty easily as well.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
aliusa86.00
      08-24-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
vlad_the_impaler
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, 1989 BMW 325i

Quote:
I did some research and you are probably right. It could be the right rear axle. I'll find out once the shop checks it.
Just have them check both axles and your diff mounts while they're in there.

Apparently they're prone to cracking over time, and I'm sure launches don't help.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
aliusa86.00
      08-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #8
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Definitely looks like a broken axle and your description confirms it. Shouldn't be too costly to repair. You can find used axles pretty easily as well.

Good luck
Yep absolutely, I bought an axle off a total loss 2013 m5 with 15k miles for $275 delivered. If it’s an option DIY it. My quote for the axle shaft and hub bearing assembly was over $4k from the dealer. I did it in about 4 hours with some help and the total cost was $700 with everything including an OE hub assembly. Whatever you do, make sure the axle compression bolt is replaced and properly torqued down. That one nut holds everything together.
Appreciate 1
aliusa86.00