M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #1
Gils2018M4
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 comp

M5 reliability

Considering a 2016, looking at one with 11k miles , which is a bit pricey and orange so not crazy about that color but man that's low mileage! another is 30k but has comp pkg. I've had F82 M4 and it's solid, not sure about this F10, is it well built? Any known issues? What are typical complaints? Is the Comp ZCP option worth it? Most don't have the comp pkg.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #2
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gils2018M4 View Post
Considering a 2016, looking at one with 11k miles , which is a bit pricey and orange so not crazy about that color but man that's low mileage! another is 30k but has comp pkg. I've had F82 M4 and it's solid, not sure about this F10, is it well built? Any known issues? What are typical complaints? Is the Comp ZCP option worth it? Most don't have the comp pkg.
I believe these cars are reliable, as long as.......
They haven't been tuned to feck by a tuner who's not reputable.
The engine oil is changed regularly ie every 5k not as service schedule. (The 11k car won't have much service history on idrive?)
The car is allowed to warm up sufficiently before ANY type of hard driving/pushing the engine.
The car has to cool down AFTER it's been driven hard.
The correct octane fuel is applied every fill up.
Anyone working on these cars MUST know about them as they are too technical for a lot of mechanics.

So mainly about car care.... so the history of them is very important imo.
Appreciate 2
94jedi830.00
      05-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Agree w/ the above. Find one w/ service records. And yes, I think the CP is worth it. I have it on my car and the lowered ride height alone is worth it.
      05-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
These cars are great and benefit from regular oil service every year as mentioned.I chose the standard one as wanted slightly higher ride height and more comfy ride. They look good also compared with Merc AMG's which I found had harsh ride.
You may want one fully specced as some people hanker for but remember the more things you have on them then there's more likelihood for them to go wrong and ask yourself if you really need lane change buzzer, night vision and B&O. There have been issues with a few of these amps and cost an arm and leg to replace if they fail. I have the comfort active seats which are the best seats I've sat on together with the folding rear seats a must for most.

Last edited by M5Rick; 05-03-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      05-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
These cars are great and benefit from regular oil service every year as mentioned.I chose the standard one as wanted slightly higher ride height and more comfy ride. They look good also compared with Merc AMG's which I found had harsh ride.
You may want one fully specced as some people hanker for but remember the more things you have on them then there's more likelihood for them to go wrong and ask yourself if you really need lane change buzzer, night vision and B&O. There have been issues with a few of these amps and cost an arm and leg to replace if they fail. I have the comfort active seats which are the best seats I've sat on together with the folding rear seats a must for most.
I bought the standard one also, but simply because at the time competition models were far far more expensive and I just couldn't afford the difference . At this moment in time the prices have dropped and I think you'd be a fool not buy the competition, if one you liked was available.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I bought the standard one also, but simply because at the time competition models were far far more expensive and I just couldn't afford the difference . At this moment in time the prices have dropped and I think you'd be a fool not buy the competition, if one you liked was available.
Just enjoy what you've got,you said yourself none of them are 100% on the bends and a Comp as well as any other car will soon come down.
You were going to lower yours...why not just put in Comp springs if your desperate for the Comp look.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Just enjoy what you've got,you said yourself none of them are 100% on the bends and a Comp as well as any other car will soon come down.
You were going to lower yours...why not just put in Comp springs if your desperate for the Comp look.
It's not the comp look I'm bothered about, just the fact that comps are more desirable, and they're LCI.

If I lowered it i would use h&r or eibach, they're cheaper than comp springs and lower slightly more.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #8
1999S351
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, 1999 Saleen S351

So new here to the forum, and I just purchased a low mileage 2013 M5. So far it’s very solid, as mentioned above maintenance records are worth their weight in gold. Its what I was looking for when buying this one. As with any/most vehicles, regular oil changes and simple maintenance goes a long way.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #9
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

These cars are pretty well-built, as long as you don't tune it like crazy. I have about 66K miles on mine so far, but I haven't tuned mine and do not plan to either. There are plenty more owners on this forum who have more mileage than me, with some having a mild tune. So yeah, these cars are pretty reliable and solid!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #10
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Have you seen sakhir orange in person and in sunlight? I wasn't 100% sold on it based on pictures or when I saw it on an overcast day, but man, there's not much like it in full sun. Just today I had someone stop to ask the name of the color and comment on how nice it was.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I'm looking into the same thing. Been driving a F15 X5 50i with the N63TU engine and its amazing. Have had it since 19k and now 52k with nothing more than some spark plugs due to the tune i have. But now the wife wants an SUV which means i need a new daily. And now i want an M5 because reasons...just dont know if i want an F10 or try an F90.

Not as heavy in the forum section as the F15 side of the house which i was a bit disappointed to see.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #12
Gils2018M4
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 comp

What extended warranty do you recommend? I'm looking at a '16 with 4 months remaining on Bmw warranty, the car has 11k miles so that's appealing.
1. What's a bmw cpo warranty for addl 1 year cost?
2. Should I consider third party instead? What's that cost ?
I prob only need another year , I'll likely keep the car for that period until I get something else
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
S_CDSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 650 Gran Coupe

Reliability is all subjective man. Mine has many more miles then what your looking at. im at 65k and prior to buying mine i did not have it inspected which was my hardest learning lesson ever buying sight unseen. You should absolutely get a car like this inspected by preferably BMW and of course at your cost. Most common issues on 13's are the injectors, AC condensor from my understanding. And then you have the typical BMW issues that occurred for many models which is the high pressure fuel pump. Whoever buys my car though is getting a hell of a deal and good car when it comes time. Brand new engine, spark plugs and coil packs, 2 brand new high pressure pumps, 2 new catalytic converters, new exhaust manifold, DCT fluid change, differentials etc.. of course i got stuck with the mess from buying sight unseen and having my engine sieze right after buying it and then discovering it had a rod knock once i got it. I guess you cant just go off maintenance records though, mine had great records for maintenance, clean title no accidents, no paint work done or anything and again i still had to foot 20-25k in repairs after install and everything. Regardless, my point is have it inspected and when you get it take care of it. These cars thrive on regular oil changes, letting them warm up properly and such. at 11k you really shouldnt be worried too much unless those 11k were all tracked miles. Overall these cars are ok-decent reliability wise and miles ahead of the E60 M5 but do not buy an M5 thinking your walking into a super reliable car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #14
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

I would try and extend the BMW warranty as thats likely to give the best cover and piece of mind, the Comp Pack is the better car as it handles like an M car should, pretty much anyone who has driven them both prefers the Comp Pack. The ride is not overly firm but much improved with a better turn in and better handling, it was a £7000 option so is an expensive option.

Sakir Orange is a great colour but if you like understated then maybe not for you.

Everything else thats been said is also important.

What is the Competition Package and what does it consist of?
The Competition Package for the F10 M5, known by the internal option code 7MA, was introduced beginning with July, 2013 production and consisted of the following features:

—Revised engine management with different boost mapping, yielding 15 additional horsepower (for a total of 575)
—Sport exhaust with black chrome tips
—Revised suspension tuning with shorter (by 10mm) and stiffer (by 20 percent) springs, stiffer damping rates (by 20 percent), stiffer front axle bushings and increased anti-roll bar stiffness (by 15 percent)
—Quicker steering rack (by 10 percent) with revised Servotronic software
—Retuned Active M Differential software
—Retuned M Dynamic Mode (MDM) for Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
—20-inch cast alloy "Style 601M" alloy wheels, sized 9x20-inch (front) and 10x20-inch (rear)

The following link will also be helpful

https://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=54
Appreciate 1
JW_ATL345.50
      05-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #15
JW_ATL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post

The following link will also be helpful

https://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=54
Thanks for sharing this link. I learned some interesting things reading it.