BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Adding heated steering wheels + lane departure vibration?

When I purchased my 2013 650i GC, I assumed all 6ers came with lane departure and the side mirrors with the blind spot detection. Was surprised mine did not for a car that was that expensive back then.

If I were to purchase mirrors with the blind spot detection and a wheel with heat and vibration option, would it work with my vehicle that didn't come with that option? Would I have play around with the coding?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I have no idea what is possible except to say anything is possible with enough money. But I think you need more. The mirrors will have the little triangle that lights up, but you still need the sensors that actually detect a vehicle in your blind spot. My understanding is it is not the cameras in the mirror bottom that do that, but sensors about the size of a pack of cigarettes hidden in the bodywork. I assume they are behind the rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

You'd need coding for sure, you'll also need radars that go in the rear quarter panels or rear bumper. That will need cabling and possibly some other modules. It's all do-able, just likely to be pricey.

I've not got the mirrors, but the lane departure in the steering wheel is all a bit meh. The vibration isn't that strong. I rarely turn it on. It does encourage you to use indicators when changing lane so good for make your driving more correct - like I say, rarely turn it on 😉
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
You'd need coding for sure, you'll also need radars that go in the rear quarter panels or rear bumper. That will need cabling and possibly some other modules. It's all do-able, just likely to be pricey.

I've not got the mirrors, but the lane departure in the steering wheel is all a bit meh. The vibration isn't that strong. I rarely turn it on. It does encourage you to use indicators when changing lane so good for make your driving more correct - like I say, rarely turn it on ��
W.r.t. "Lane Departure"... my advice is to try it a lot if you can with your style of driving. (it seems to vary a lot across modles/makes... as expected) Unless it's something that you only activate when you really should be pulling-over to grab a cup of coffee or a quick nap, sometimes it make my lane-changing 'less-fluid'/smooth.

YMMV.

(wash your hands)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
thedza
On the hunt
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB F06 650i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 650i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post
When I purchased my 2013 650i GC, I assumed all 6ers came with lane departure and the side mirrors with the blind spot detection. Was surprised mine did not for a car that was that expensive back then.

If I were to purchase mirrors with the blind spot detection and a wheel with heat and vibration option, would it work with my vehicle that didn't come with that option? Would I have play around with the coding?
honestly the only option there I'd go for is the heated wheel (mine didn't come with cold weather package) - it's gonna cost a ton. I rarely find lane departure useful (only on longer highway trips), and I don't trust the blind spot detection/always check blind spot anyway (it really only alerts you when cars are approaching; if you're in heavy traffic or overtaking someone the lights don't come on).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 06:43 AM   #6
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

I agree with you guys that the lane departure isn't as useful as the others. Just curious if adding all those options were as simple as buying a compatible wheel and activating some codes with the sensors already installed but I guess it's more complicated then that with the blind spot detection and lane departure.

For the heated steering wheel, I'm assuming installing a heated wheel and changing some code should activate it? Any guides?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post

I looked a this some time ago, technically possible if you have lane departure as looming is in place, if not probably better to give it a miss, parts price alone will be prohibitive
Appreciate 0