Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

02-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
M4 Partial Satin Clear Bra - Opinions Please

Hi All:

I'm considering doing a clear bra/satin clear bra on my 2020 M4 (which is a lease).

Considering estimates are anywhere from $5k-$8k for the full car, I wouldn't do the full car on a lease.

Wondering if it would look weird if I had the satin clear bra done only on the hood and trunk (materials, labor, time, would arguably be MUCH less than having to do the whole car, especially since those seem to be pretty easy components to wrap vs the doors, bumper, etc.)

Would it look weird if only the hood and trunk were matte?

Even so, I'm sure it would look find with just a regular clear bra (would be as if nothing was there).

Any estimates on what I'd be looking at pricing wise for just the hood and trunk?

Pic for attention:
Attached Images

2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

I wouldn't even bother spending money on a clear bra for a lease unless I can diy it for cheap.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144441.00
      02-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

So many weird questions in this post. In short, yes, it would look weird to matte PPF just the hood and trunk.

But why would you PPF just the hood and trunk? Those are not the areas most in need of PPF; especially the trunk.

The areas that need PPF the most are: front bumper, mirrors, rear fender panel.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Wouldn't clear bra a matte color on certain areas only. Would look out of place.

Clearbra recommended areas from experience is the following:

1) Front Bumper
2) Hood
3) Fenders
4) Rear Quarter Panels
5) Side Skirts
6) Mirrors
7) Window Trim

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
So many weird questions in this post. In short, yes, it would look weird to matte PPF just the hood and trunk.

But why would you PPF just the hood and trunk? Those are not the areas most in need of PPF; especially the trunk.

The areas that need PPF the most are: front bumper, mirrors, rear fender panel.
I don't care that much about parts of the car I can't really see (and it's a lease).

But when one bad car wash can do this to a 3 month old car, causing the need for an $800 swirl removal... my mind starts to wonder.
Attached Images

2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I don't care that much about parts of the car I can't really see (and it's a lease).

But when one bad car wash can do this to a 3 month old car, causing the need for an $800 swirl removal... my mind starts to wonder.
It's lease, so why bother?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:

It's lease, so why bother?
Because looking at those swirls makes me pretty sick... I'm clearly going to take care of the car (although this happened at a rebuttable hand wash, no machines or drive thru).

And I'm not inclined to spend $800 ever 4-5 months because the car swirls that badly.

Hopefully I can take further preventative measures now that I know, but I was considering clear bra as an option if it would be less expensive in the long run over 3 years
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Because looking at those swirls makes me pretty sick... I'm clearly going to take care of the car (although this happened at a rebuttable hand wash, no machines or drive thru).

And I'm not inclined to spend $800 ever 4-5 months because the car swirls that badly.

Hopefully I can take further preventative measures now that I know, but I was considering clear bra as an option if it would be less expensive in the long run over 3 years
A further preventative measure is to wrap the entire car in PPF

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

A further preventative measure is to wrap the entire car in PPF
But why would I spend $5-$8k if it would be significantly less expensive to just do the hood and trunk, where the swirls are most noticeable, in a clear bra?

I was asking because I was wondering what I would be quoted. Clearly if it's still going to be $3-$5k, I wouldn't bother on a lease and I'd continue being careful after I get the swirls removed

How is that not an alternative preventive measure? Not like one option is the be-all-end-all...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
But why would I spend $5-$8k if it would be significantly less expensive to just do the hood and trunk, where the swirls are most noticeable, in a clear bra?

I was asking because I was wondering what I would be quoted. Clearly if it's still going to be $3-$5k, I wouldn't bother on a lease and I'd continue being careful after I get the swirls removed

How is that not an alternative preventive measure? Not like one option is the be-all-end-all...
Because you'll get swirls else where, such as door, quarter panel, etc. This will be more obvious on a darker color car.

I got my M4 full body wrapped for 4K for FYI.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #11
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Because you'll get swirls else where, such as door, quarter panel, etc. This will be more obvious on a darker color car.

I got my M4 full body wrapped for 4K for FYI.
Funny you say that since I had my mineral gray M3 for 4.5 years (and that car went through it all - travelled from Baltimore, to Los Angeles, to Notre Dame, Indiana (where it went through hail storms/snow/crappy car washes/etc), back to LA, and there wasn't a swirl on the car (except for a bit on the shadowline trim which was barely noticeable).

I couldn't believe what I saw on my 2020 M4 3 months after picking up the car with 11 miles on it. And the swirls are most prominent on the hood and trunk, not so bad on the doors, etc.

Again, I'm probably overthinking because I must have really had a shitty car wash where the "hand wash" used a very dirty rag or something truly negligent.

I posted for opinions and inquiring about price the clear bra. Thank you for your contribution/discussion.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #12
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

If you're so worried about swirls then just wash the car yourself using proper techniques. I agree with everyone else here. The questions you're posing in your first post don't make any logical sense
Appreciate 2
SaMaster144441.00
swagon13524.00
      02-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
If you're so worried about swirls then just wash the car yourself using proper techniques. I agree with everyone else here. The questions you're posing in your first post don't make any logical sense

quoted to drive the point home

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

800 bucks for the whole car incl. ceramic coat I presume?
      02-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #15
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
800 bucks for the whole car incl. ceramic coat I presume?
Yes - not a full paint correction, but full "swirl removal" - full day's worth of work from a mobile detailer.

He came highly recommended from a very close friend who deals in the auto industry
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Just my opinion, but as always, if you want it done right, do it yourself. Dark colors are tough. But what I would do with my gloss black S4 was find a touchless car wash to get 90% of the dirt off the car quickly, then head home and do a quick rinse/wash/dry. It still takes a while, but it's the only way to keep it looking nice and not like those photos.

There's a reason our washes take considerably longer than something at a local car wash. Mine take an hour and a half including prep, wheels, and equipment clean up. You'd be charged $100 for a wash like that at a car wash. Which nobody would pay.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144441.00
      03-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #17
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Take the money that you would spend on ppf and hit up chemical guys for a bunch of proper care car products.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144441.00
      03-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #18
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Dude! It's a LEASE...

Skip the PPF altogether on a lease, and partial matte would look silly. If you owned it I'd say do the WHOLE car for sure, but nothing on a lease car. Before you turn in the lease just pay for a chip fix, and then a detail with a hand wax.

Those swirls...I'd say someone blind AND stupid used a damn scouring pad. I'd be so pissed. Sorry for you man. I'd take that to the dealer to get fixed, and then go to that Sh!tty car wash with the bill and my lawyer.

After you get that paint fixed you're almost stuck with hand-washing. It's such a pretty color but that deep blue shine shows imperfections easy (which is why my M3 is white). Like ntg44 mentions about drive-thrus (if you must) only use no-touch, then wipe down with a clean hot damp towel...windows, uppers, lowers, jambs, then wheels. My dad would bring a cup of red hot water in a thermos or igloo to hot wipe his 67 Sting-Ray.

Once your paint is right you can do Ceramic yourself for under $100 easy (Armor Shield IX, one bottle is plenty, wheels too). Just need a garage for two solid days, one to do all the prep and coating, another full day to cure. The one coating will probably last one full year. For a lease this is where my effort would go.

-TJ