BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

12-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
ten3
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Tune

Hi guys
Im in Melbourne, i had my car tuned but the dino result was not good, i was recommended to have it on dino again in other place.Would you guys recommence any places to run the dino and also experience in M3 modifications ?
Thank you.
      12-28-2019, 04:23 AM   #2
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Seems like quite a few mention Southern BM a lot on these pages ....
      12-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten3 View Post
Hi guys
Im in Melbourne, i had my car tuned but the dino result was not good, i was recommended to have it on dino again in other place.Would you guys recommence any places to run the dino and also experience in M3 modifications ?
Thank you.
What is not good and what where you expecting. Are you just looking at peak number or area under the curve.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
ten3
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3TS View Post
What is not good and what where you expecting. Are you just looking at peak number or area under the curve.
Hi guys,
Thank you for your replies. I was give a dino chart and was not explained what was was about so i could no understand what i presented. There one number said max 230kw, which i believe wss the peak and it was much lower than stock m3 309kw.
Are there any other m3 specilists around in Melbourne u guys kniw of, just want a couple to compare.

Cheers
Merry Christmas,
Happy new year !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Quote:
There one number said max 230kw, which i believe wss the peak and it was much lower than stock m3 309kw. !
230-240kW at the rear wheels is what you would expect from a STOCK E9X M3 (the 309kW is power at the flywheel).
      12-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys,
Thank you for your replies. I was give a dino chart and was not explained what was was about so i could no understand what i presented. There one number said max 230kw, which i believe wss the peak and it was much lower than stock m3 309kw.
Are there any other m3 specilists around in Melbourne u guys kniw of, just want a couple to compare.

Cheers
Merry Christmas,
Happy new year !!!
What was the fine print on your tune in terms of expectations. Are you running a non factory exhaust?Did you have a before dyno as a baseline. If not how can you be disappointed. Just a view but wasting your cash chasing a few kw dyno hopping. I am sure all us m3 owners would pile in on a tune that gave you 309 awkw on an Australian dyno. Thatsnorth off 500 crank horse power. Buy I went in buying a m3 on the basis its not the easiest car to extract hp out of. If you chasing numbers, get your credit card out as its basically a supercharger or nothing. Just buy a macht Schnell air filter instead of wasting cash on different dyno readings. I certainly would be happy if my tune got 10 to 15 awkw. If you dont have an exhaust, I highly recommend replacing the factory one for a better butt dyno experience behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

You gotta understand that dyno's are meaningless unless you get a baseline and then re dyno with any mods on the car. Let me put this into perspective, a car with a tune and another car with the same exact tune can dyno at 2 entirely different places and make 2 entirely different numbers. Does that mean the one that made more is faster? No. It's because there's so much variation between dyno's. The only reason you should use dyno's is to see baseline stock numbers and re dyno with any modifications to see how much power you make with those mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
ten3
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
230-240kW at the rear wheels is what you would expect from a STOCK E9X M3 (the 309kW is power at the flywheel).
Thank you,
i did not know that, that was what i meant i was not explained when i received the chart.
      12-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #9
ten3
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What was the fine print on your tune in terms of expectations. Are you running a non factory exhaust?Did you have a before dyno as a baseline. If not how can you be disappointed. Just a view but wasting your cash chasing a few kw dyno hopping. I am sure all us m3 owners would pile in on a tune that gave you 309 awkw on an Australian dyno. Thatsnorth off 500 crank horse power. Buy I went in buying a m3 on the basis its not the easiest car to extract hp out of. If you chasing numbers, get your credit card out as its basically a supercharger or nothing. Just buy a macht Schnell air filter instead of wasting cash on different dyno readings. I certainly would be happy if my tune got 10 to 15 awkw. If you dont have an exhaust, I highly recommend replacing the factory one for a better butt dyno experience behind the wheel.
Thank you.
i did not know 309kw was the crank horse power, so i expected a bit better than that.
i had the Performance M3 exhaust and Eventuri air filter on. I am very happy driving my car.
      12-29-2019, 11:55 PM   #10
ten3
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
You gotta understand that dyno's are meaningless unless you get a baseline and then re dyno with any mods on the car. Let me put this into perspective, a car with a tune and another car with the same exact tune can dyno at 2 entirely different places and make 2 entirely different numbers. Does that mean the one that made more is faster? No. It's because there's so much variation between dyno's. The only reason you should use dyno's is to see baseline stock numbers and re dyno with any modifications to see how much power you make with those mods.
i was not told to have the base line Dyno prior, this makes me pretty upset with those guys did the modifications and tune for me. They were quite well known in Melbourne.

any other garage you guys can recommence in Melbourne ?

cheers
      12-30-2019, 02:56 AM   #11
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i was not told to have the base line Dyno prior, this makes me pretty upset with those guys did the modifications and tune for me. They were quite well known in Melbourne.

any other garage you guys can recommence in Melbourne ?

cheers
As noted a dyno somewhere else is a waste of money in my opinion. What are you going to do if the number is south of the one you have. If you can notice an improvement behind the wheel isn't that the main thing given you don't have a baseline.. If you are that upset, and want to get a number, surely you would go back to them and say can you flash it back to stock tune , Do a dyno reading then flash back their file and do another and that should be close to the one you got. Negotiate the dyno price based on say three runs and labour only to flash the tunes. If they don't come to the party call them out on this forum. I would not touch the airbox. It will cost you nearly as much to remove it and reinstall it than what the setup is worth and in my opinion, good for a bit more engine noise and a tiny bit of extra hp that's not worth getting upset about. Just out of interest why didn't you post on here before getting the tune for some advice / opinions.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:55 AM   #12
ten3
Australia
Rep

Quote:
As noted a dyno somewhere else is a waste of money in my opinion. What are you going to do if the number is south of the one you have. If you can notice an improvement behind the wheel isn't that the main thing given you don't have a baseline.. If you are that upset, and want to get a number, surely you would go back to them and say can you flash it back to stock tune , Do a dyno reading then flash back their file and do another and that should be close to the one you got. Negotiate the dyno price based on say three runs and labour only to flash the tunes. If they don't come to the party call them out on this forum. I would not touch the airbox. It will cost you nearly as much to remove it and reinstall it than what the setup is worth and in my opinion, good for a bit more engine noise and a tiny bit of extra hp that's not worth getting upset about. Just out of interest why didn't you post on here before getting the tune for some advice / opinions.
Hi, thank you for your time and concern, i want to know what my number would be, but it is not much of my concern now, given the fact that i did not have the baseline read, i dont want to go through the hussle getting it back to stock to run Dyno and put things on and run Dyno again. And u dont think i would go back to thwm to ask them do things right, when it should have been done it the first olace, trust is lost. I just want to find a different place to have my car serviced and give me advice on what else i might want to do on my car.
I did not put a post up here to get some advices because i kind of trusted those guys and believed they knew what they were doing, would do it right to me.
Sadly it was not...
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Do you know what brand of tune they did for you? If it's an off the shelf tune from some tuner like Evolve, BPM, etc, they should have given you a cable for you to re-flash your car back to stock.

If it's a custom dyno tune, then the tuner would have done many dyno runs from start to finish and would have the stock dyno numbers saved on the dyno computer.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:18 PM   #14
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Do you know what brand of tune they did for you? If it's an off the shelf tune from some tuner like Evolve, BPM, etc, they should have given you a cable for you to re-flash your car back to stock.

If it's a custom dyno tune, then the tuner would have done many dyno runs from start to finish and would have the stock dyno numbers saved on the dyno computer.
Very odd if it was custom tuned not to do the first run with it stock. Makes me ask a stupid question.
Did the OP even ask if they have a dyno sheet pre tune. I got the impression they were only given a dyno sheet from one run post tune. Does not mean a pre tune dyno sheet doesnt exist.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:52 PM   #15
ten3
Australia
Rep

Quote:

May i ask what the difference between a shelf tune and custom tune ?
Mine should have been a shelf tune. But i was not given any cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #16
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:

What brand tune?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:30 AM   #17
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Off the shelf tune, aka canned tune = A more generic tune that is designed to be usable by more engines with varying types of mods. It's less optimized than a custom dyno tune. The tunes where you buy a cable and the tuner sends you a file to upload into your ECU are canned tunes. Evolve, BPM, etc usually sell canned tunes.

Custom dyno tune = The tuner will put your car on a dyno and tune it specifically for your engine and mods. This is more optimized and usually extracts every last HP from the engine/mods. It involves putting the car on a dyno and making tweaks and dyno-ing to see the results, repeatedly, until the tuner is satisfied that no more power can be obtained. As such, it's much more expensive, more time consuming, and the car needs to be with the tuner for them to tune it.

If you have a custom dyno tune, the tuner will have multiple dyno runs from start to finish.

If you have a canned tune, ask the tuner what tune did they use.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think I know where you got the tune from. PMed you
      12-31-2019, 03:53 PM   #19
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Peak numbers are meaningless
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #20
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Peak numbers are meaningless
Yes I prefer to see area under the curve and how much is between 1500 and 4000 rpm
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #21
ten3
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
What brand tune?
It was my thought that it was shelf tune so i dont know the name. I may have to ask them .
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #22
ten3
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Off the shelf tune, aka canned tune = A more generic tune that is designed to be usable by more engines with varying types of mods. It's less optimized than a custom dyno tune. The tunes where you buy a cable and the tuner sends you a file to upload into your ECU are canned tunes. Evolve, BPM, etc usually sell canned tunes.

Custom dyno tune = The tuner will put your car on a dyno and tune it specifically for your engine and mods. This is more optimized and usually extracts every last HP from the engine/mods. It involves putting the car on a dyno and making tweaks and dyno-ing to see the results, repeatedly, until the tuner is satisfied that no more power can be obtained. As such, it's much more expensive, more time consuming, and the car needs to be with the tuner for them to tune it.

If you have a custom dyno tune, the tuner will have multiple dyno runs from start to finish.

If you have a canned tune, ask the tuner what tune did they use.
Thank you.
This is all new to me. I think I may have to start from learning to read the chart.
Any recomendation where i can find a good guide to underatand the chart.

Cheers
Appreciate 0