Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

12-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Cold Temperature Driving

I'm currently on the stock 666's with OEM Michelin summer tires.
I would like to drive the car throughout the winter when it's dry out (or if the temperature is high enough where I'm certain rain won't turn to snow/ice). I have a second car to drive in the snow/ice, if I have to drive.

I'm usually driving with my young kids, which makes me want to be safe. However, part of being safe is that I drive pretty calmly when they are with me...no real hard acceleration or cornering.

People on this forum make driving on the summer tires during the winter sound like ice skating.

Is that really true in dry weather or are people exaggerating?

For the sake of this thread, please assume that we're only talking about about low temperatures but not snow/ice conditions. Everyone is clear that summer tires in snow/ice conditions is not the way to go.

I'm trying to assess whether getting a dedicated winter set is really worth it for my driving conditions/habits.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

no dude. everyone does exaggerate bit. if you keep safe following distances and feather the throttle the f8x drives just like any other car. i've driven with the tires below 20 F and have not lost traction. just dont be an idiot. and if it starts raining man i would get off the highway and take the long way home.

but i do exactly what you do. i have a second car. the f8x comes out on clear days cold or not. obvs when its freezing i dont even bother
Appreciate 4
PhatLyfe985.00
N55Msport185.50
smuttana346.50
      12-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

What G35 said. Drive like a grandma and you'll be fine. The summers get ice hard when the temps dip. Rears kick out a lot even on light throttle, sharp turning also take a hit.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
I drive it all year on those tires. As long as it's not wet and freezing, it's not a problem. Just give them more time to heat up. They won't perform as good until they get to about 7C/45F
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

On my morning commute, I'm on side roads for about 20 minutes before highway.

On my evening commute, it's generally not AS cold.

Either way, I just wanted to make sure the back end won't pop out on me out of blue or something.

Many thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Its really worth it to have another set of cold weather tires/wheels. Why compromise? That said I have felt better/safer on mich summer tires in cold weather than conti summers.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

It can be done as others have said, but there are a few other factors to consider such as the brittleness of the tires and the premature wear/crackingyou can create..

This is worth a read....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273

My F83 is not my DD, I use my Xterra for bad weather. But I'm still going to put MPS A/S 3+ on for winter. If I like them enough when spring comes I might just stick with them year round. I don't drive the M in rain or snow, but I do like to drive her year round on the dry. It's too much fun not to. Plus cold air + turbo = winning.
Appreciate 2
Poiseuille5393.50
PhatLyfe985.00
      12-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

You'll be fine 99% of the time, its the one time it happens you'll wish you had A/S or winter tires.

I didn't swap out the MPSS till a few days ago and drove through the cold front we had earlier this month on the rock hard summers. Drove normally and still had a 'oh sh!t' moment while merging onto route 1 in jersey.

FWD/AWD i'd be more inclined to just risk it with summers if you have a dedicated winter mobile. RWD is not as predictable or forgiving.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

As a father of two I would NOT have my kids in the car in the winter with summer performance tires.

Your stopping distance suffers tremendously. And to me it’s the same as hauling them in the car without baby seats. Sure you can do it and be fine 99% of the time...but why risk it?
Appreciate 6
      12-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
As a father of two I would NOT have my kids in the car in the winter with summer performance tires.

Your stopping distance suffers tremendously. And to me it’s the same as hauling them in the car without baby seats. Sure you can do it and be fine 99% of the time...but why risk it?
Tommy, mind if I ask how much you paid for your 513s?

Did they come with the tires or did you buy the tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Quote:

Your stopping distance suffers tremendously. And to me it's the same as hauling them in the car without baby seats. Sure you can do it and be fine 99% of the time...but why risk it?

I think $1800 with pilot super sports

Then I had to buy winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #12
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
[QUOTE=Tommy L Garage;25581272][QUOTE=RElias21;25581270][QUOTE=Tommy L Garage;25581090] tires.

read the Tire Rack article cited by icebiker above (betting you already have). if you want to drive in winter get a dedicated set. in central NJ A/S is just fine. takeoff 437m are abundant in the classified section. 513m are better for this purpose by a tiny margin but they're harder to find. if you're patient complete sets like this become available now and then secondary to lease returns.
you don't mention this, but some choose to buy only the tires then switch them back-and-forth according to the season. bad idea imo: the cost of mount and balance by a competent tech with Hunter equipment twice a year in just a few years will end up being more than a set of used wheels. plus, there's the risk of damage and general stress every time you do that cycle.

Edit: sorry Tommy, quoting you was an error, thought I was just posting on here.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #13
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your stopping distance suffers tremendously. And to me it's the same as hauling them in the car without baby seats. Sure you can do it and be fine 99% of the time...but why risk it?

I think $1800 with pilot super sports

Then I had to buy winter tires.
read the Tire Rack article cited by icebiker above (betting you already have). if you want to drive in winter get a dedicated set. in central NJ A/S is just fine. takeoff 437m are abundant in the classified section. 513m are better for this purpose by a tiny margin but they're harder to find. if you're patient complete sets like this become available now and then secondary to lease returns.
you don't mention this, but some choose to buy only the tires then switch them back-and-forth according to the season. bad idea imo: the cost of mount and balance by a competent tech with Hunter equipment twice a year in just a few years will end up being more than a set of used wheels. plus, there's the risk of damage and general stress every time you do that cycle.
I only use 513M for winter now.
I have a dedicated set of track wheels too
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #14
dnanrub
Only dead fish go with the flow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I'm currently on the stock 666's with OEM Michelin summer tires.
I would like to drive the car throughout the winter when it's dry out (or if the temperature is high enough where I'm certain rain won't turn to snow/ice). I have a second car to drive in the snow/ice, if I have to drive.

I'm usually driving with my young kids, which makes me want to be safe. However, part of being safe is that I drive pretty calmly when they are with me...no real hard acceleration or cornering.

People on this forum make driving on the summer tires during the winter sound like ice skating.

Is that really true in dry weather or are people exaggerating?

For the sake of this thread, please assume that we're only talking about about low temperatures but not snow/ice conditions. Everyone is clear that summer tires in snow/ice conditions is not the way to go.

I'm trying to assess whether getting a dedicated winter set is really worth it for my driving conditions/habits.
I have a winter set I found on the forums for about 1600 (new tires/wheels) 18"

I bought the car in winter and tried the 20" mpss - I could get by - but it was really not good at all. the snows are so much more confidence inspiring in the cold (not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper to run).

if you plan to drive a lot, get snows. remember they are still valuable in a couple years if you sell them, and also much cheaper if you run them.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:36 AM   #15
Zee32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AY M4!

I’ve drove in sub 20 temps in rain etc on the highways and no issues whatsoever. Was even driving aggressive at times.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #16
Rbc44
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

I've been daily driving M3's and now an M4 for the last 19 years in NNJ, and I have always had a second set of winter wheels/snow tires for the cold months. Why risk your life (and the lives of others), not to mention an $80k vehicle, by driving on summer tires in the winter. It only takes one loss of traction to change your whole life. Your tires are the only part of the car that ever touches the road (hopefully).
Be safe out there.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you everyone. Your opinions are all very appreciated!

I've come to the conclusion that although I think I'll be okay most of the time, it just isn't worth it, especially with my kids in the car.

Just this morning I decided to drive the wifey's Q5, and although it was dry out, I did drive over an ice patch that I'm sure the M would not have taken well with summer tires on.

The search for a winter set begins.
With that said, feel free to chime on on what winter tires you use and how you like them!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I've done the whole driving all winter on summer tires thing when i was younger. Fun times

If the roads are completely dry you are fine UNLESS you have to do some sudden evasive maneuvers because regardless your grip isn't as good in freezing temps.

Also consider that some tire companies advise against driving in temps below freezing as the summer rubber compound can crack.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 12-18-2019 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep

Reading these replies I have to say that only those with kids can relate and provide a reasonable response.

To put thinks in perspective, below is a copy/paste of the OP question but I replaced the the mention of Tires with baby seats...and some other minor adjustments. See how crazy it sounds.

I'm currently taking care of my leather seats quite well.

I would like to drive the car and carry my kids in it. I have a second car to drive with baby seats installed, if I have to take my kids with me for longer trips.

People on this forum make driving without baby seats sound like putting skittles in a jar.

Is that really true or are people exaggerating?

For the sake of this thread, please assume that we're only talking about quick drives but not long distances. Everyone is clear that baby seats will protect the life of my kids and are the way to go.

I'm trying to assess whether getting a dedicated set of baby seats is really worth it for my driving conditions/habits or should I just let them sit freely in the back seats and hope for the best?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #20
weavingtraffic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
1990 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I've done the whole driving all winter on summer tires thing when i was younger. Fun time

If the roads are completely dry you are fine UNLESS you have to do some sudden evasive maneuvers because regardless you grip isn't as good in freezing temps.

Also consider that some tire companies advise against driving in temps below freezing as the rubber compound can crack.

Alan
Was going to respond with essentially this. I think this is the most reasonable response.

If you don't mind ponying up for a dedicated winter set, go for it. I have a dedicated winter car and have driven with the P4S in some pretty low temps. Haven't had any instance where TCS is lighting up besides hard accel.

Somehow I don't believe that there are so many people claiming that they are ice skating or having issues with summer tire in winter. Makes me scratch my head and think.. do I have different tires? Is my car not an M making the same power? What are they doing differently than I?

You have to have tcs completely off and be redlining the damn thing right out of the driveway to be having those kinds of issues. By the time the car is at operating temp your tires should be more than cooperative.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC502.00
      12-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Reading these replies I have to say that only those with kids can relate and provide a reasonable response.

To put thinks in perspective, below is a copy/paste of the OP question but I replaced the the mention of Tires with baby seats...and some other minor adjustments. See how crazy it sounds.

I'm currently taking care of my leather seats quite well.

I would like to drive the car and carry my kids in it. I have a second car to drive with baby seats installed, if I have to take my kids with me for longer trips.

People on this forum make driving without baby seats sound like putting skittles in a jar.

Is that really true or are people exaggerating?

For the sake of this thread, please assume that we're only talking about quick drives but not long distances. Everyone is clear that baby seats will protect the life of my kids and are the way to go.

I'm trying to assess whether getting a dedicated set of baby seats is really worth it for my driving conditions/habits or should I just let them sit freely in the back seats and hope for the best?

Agreed 100%

This forum is full of internet “experts” talking about things they have little to no experience with. Now with kids all of my current cars and future ones will have dedicated snow tires on them. I was stuck driving back 13hours from Toronto during a massive snow/ice storm with the m3 and it made me damn glad i have a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup installed. The 15+ accidents that i passed that day weren’t so lucky.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #22
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

With regard's to OP's question on what tires...

Im running blizzacks since they have 255/40/18 available (using 513m). Also have them on a SUV and they're great for cold weather, light snow. It'll work in deeper, unplowed conditions but my old set (General Altimax Arctics) outperformed the blizzacks here by a huge margin. However the blizzacks are more performance oriented, and its only a handful of days a year driving through deep-er snow.

Honestly will try the nokians next... price point is on par with the blizzacks, and they're a Finish company, where it is mandatory in that country to switchover to winters so hopefully they know what they're doing :-). Unfortunately the nokians were out of stock when i ordered the tires.

Only other experience i have are continental winter contacts on my wife's car which is FWD. Garbage in the snow, no better than all-seasons IMO.
Appreciate 1
RElias21565.50