BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

09-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

DCT Loud First and Reserve Gear

Recently I noticed my DCT is quite loud when I put it into either first and/or reserve gear. The usual mechanical noise it makes is quite pronounce compared to before, especially when the car is hot. Other than the noise is louder the car shifts fine.

Anyone know what the issue could be? Low fluid?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'd say engine and/or trans mounts. Engine mounts get worn most often.
      09-03-2019, 12:49 AM   #3
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Hmm good point about the trans mounts. I'm pretty sure it won't be engine mounts since I changed it less than 2 years ago with vibra when I had the RB done.

Any way to check the trans mount without taking it out?

Also come to the think of it, I don't think I will be low on trans fluid. I took the car into the dealer a month ago when I had some random DCT fault codes. They checked everything over transmission related and found nothing. They even noted on the work order there is no signs of oil leaks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #4
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Quote:
Hmm good point about the trans mounts. I'm pretty sure it won't be engine mounts since I changed it less than 2 years ago with vibra when I had the RB done.

Any way to check the trans mount without taking it out?

Also come to the think of it, I don't think I will be low on trans fluid. I took the car into the dealer a month ago when I had some random DCT fault codes. They checked everything over transmission related and found nothing. They even noted on the work order there is no signs of oil leaks.
Once you drop the cover you should be able to inspect most of the mounts. To drop the tranny brace isn't hard, but would give you the best look at them. I'd also look at flex disk while you're there.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Hmm I called a local BMW indy. They quoted $1000 to change dct fluid and filter, they'll also inspect the mounts, flex disc and center support bearing.

The dealer quoted $1300 and it includes a new pan. My brother in law works there. I can request for him to work on my car and he will also check out the mounts, flex disc and center support bearing.

As crazy as this sounds, I think I'm gonna take it to the dealer for this one. $300 more but I get a new pan and a courtesy car. The courtesy car is actually huge deal for me. I always have to stress for rides whenever I take my cars to an indy shop. This one for particular only opens Mon to Fri. which makes it even harder to arrange for rides. No ride share where I live either.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Hmm I called a local BMW indy. They quoted $1000 to change dct fluid and filter, they'll also inspect the mounts, flex disc and center support bearing.

The dealer quoted $1300 and it includes a new pan. My brother in law works there. I can request for him to work on my car and he will also check out the mounts, flex disc and center support bearing.

As crazy as this sounds, I think I'm gonna take it to the dealer for this one. $300 more but I get a new pan and a courtesy car. The courtesy car is actually huge deal for me. I always have to stress for rides whenever I take my cars to an indy shop. This one for particular only opens Mon to Fri. which makes it even harder to arrange for rides. No ride share where I live either.
Not a bad decision. DCT's aren't black magic but a lot of people claim to work on them who shouldn't. The dealer is your best bet sometimes because if they screw up they have to handle it in the end, wether that's buying your car back or fixing it. If they fucked up your tranny that's be their responsibility to fix and they would.
      09-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not a bad decision. DCT's aren't black magic but a lot of people claim to work on them who shouldn't. The dealer is your best bet sometimes because if they screw up they have to handle it in the end, wether that's buying your car back or fixing it. If they fucked up your tranny that's be their responsibility to fix and they would.
My thought exactly. $300 isn't that much more considering the dealer will change the pan. Plus I requested to have my brother in-law to work on it. So for sure it'll be done right, or else he's not getting a Christmas present this year
Appreciate 0