BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Fixed brake squeak maybe

I've seen it posted elsewhere, but maybe it'll help some of you out. I drove in today complaining of brake squeak. Four hours later I got a call from my SA saying they replaced all my pads with an updated set. No cost. I'm not gonna get into how big the smile on my face is, but you should try your dealer and be very nice to your SA.

No squeak driving home. I know still early to tell but I did squeak on the way to the dealer. New pads on their own are a win, squeak or not. But so far not.
      07-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
I've seen it posted elsewhere, but maybe it'll help some of you out. I drove in today complaining of brake squeak. Four hours later I got a call from my SA saying they replaced all my pads with an updated set. No cost. I'm not gonna get into how big the smile on my face is, but you should try your dealer and be very nice to your SA.

No squeak driving home. I know still early to tell but I did squeak on the way to the dealer. New pads on their own are a win, squeak or not. But so far not.
I know you have a great relationship with your SA. It just paid you dividends my friend. And don't forget him/her come Christmas time! I might have to drop your name sometime (kidding!). I'm jelly tho.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      07-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

as a matter of fact there's a bulletin on the front brakes but it depends on what's left on the pads, mine had 3 and 4mm left so they didn't change them for free so I changed them myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
as a matter of fact there's a bulletin on the front brakes but it depends on what's left on the pads, mine had 3 and 4mm left so they didn't change them for free so I changed them myself.
Awesome! I think you call BMWUS and just be polite and say you've had the squeak the whole time, just that nobody had a solution for you. I'd go so far as to say it's not fair that so many people dealt with the squeak and now that there's a "fix" only some people qualify..? Just ask, worst that can happen is they say no.
      07-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:

I've had my front brake pads replaced as well, with the supposed new compound, and it was fine for about a week. Squealing got progressively worse from there... I hope your experience is far better than my was and these pads truly fix the squealing for you... I've taken matters into my own hands and purchased ceramic front and rear pads. Installing them tomorrow and will report back after a few weeks on the results. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:

The BMW fix does not fix the squeal. My pads were replaced with the updated set and the squeal was gone for about 3,000 miles. Now it's worse than it was with the original pads.

I think the only fix is an aftermarket DIY.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #7
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Please share the revised P/N. I would like to see if it is the same part number as the most recent revision.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Please share the revised P/N. I would like to see if it is the same part number as the most recent revision.
Just had my brakes done front & rear last month at the stealer. So far, so good with no squeeks.

F 34-11-7-852-969 Repair Kit, Brake Pads

R 34-21-6-794-879 Repair kit, Brake Pads
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      07-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Excellent! Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Just had my brakes done front & rear last month at the stealer. So far, so good with no squeeks.

F 34-11-7-852-969 Repair Kit, Brake Pads

R 34-21-6-794-879 Repair kit, Brake Pads
I can confirm these are the part numbers.
      07-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
confu1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 17 X5 M

I can confirm I had these pads part # F 34-11-7-852-969 installed at the dealership 3,000 miles ago and the squeaks stopped.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      07-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #12
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear View Post
I've had my front brake pads replaced as well, with the supposed new compound, and it was fine for about a week. Squealing got progressively worse from there... I hope your experience is far better than my was and these pads truly fix the squealing for you... I've taken matters into my own hands and purchased ceramic front and rear pads. Installing them tomorrow and will report back after a few weeks on the results. Good Luck!
which pads are you going with?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #13
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear View Post
which pads are you going with?
I went with the power stop front and rear pads:

Front 723-1648
Rear 723-919B
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #14
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by confu1 View Post
I can confirm I had these pads part # F 34-11-7-852-969 installed at the dealership 3,000 miles ago and the squeaks stopped.
Same here...Dealer changed both brakes and rotors again this time with new part # and 2k later no squeaks. Hopefully this one is fixed for good.
Previous old part numbers used twice brakes and rotors and noise would come back after 200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyX5M View Post
Same here...Dealer changed both brakes and rotors again this time with new part # and 2k later no squeaks. Hopefully this one is fixed for good.
Previous old part numbers used twice brakes and rotors and noise would come back after 200 miles.
Interesting. I see they changed out your rotors as well. Do you know if they were at the minimum spec? Or...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #16
kenf80
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Is the process of changing pads on the F85/6 as easy as the f8x? Pop the pins out and just slide the pads back? Or do we have to undo a couple nuts on the bigger caliper f85/6 have and slide the whole caliper backwards?

Also did you replace the brake pad wear sensor or didn’t bother with it?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #17
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Singh View Post
Quote:
Is the process of changing pads on the F85/6 as easy as the f8x? Pop the pins out and just slide the pads back? Or do we have to undo a couple nuts on the bigger caliper f85/6 have and slide the whole caliper backwards?

Also did you replace the brake pad wear sensor or didn’t bother with it?

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Singh View Post
Quote:

Also did you replace the brake pad wear sensor or didn't bother with it?

Cheers.
Not sure mate. I'll find the invoice and post the pets they used.

Btw, still silence from brakes. 🤞
      07-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
adamsar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M, 2016 M5 (sold)

I'm in the new pads club too, dealer changed them and so far with 500 miles no squeak or squeal.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #19
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Are the dealers swapping out these squeaky pads/discs for free if under warranty ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #20
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Are the dealers swapping out these squeaky pads/discs for free if under warranty ?
Still under warranty, swapped pads, not discs. Discs would be the ultimate show of good faith.
      07-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #21
adamsar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M, 2016 M5 (sold)

Quote:
Still under warranty, swapped pads, not discs. Discs would be the ultimate show of good faith.
Same, and agreed!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:17 PM   #22
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Interesting. I see they changed out your rotors as well. Do you know if they were at the minimum spec? Or...
Hey, no previous rotors were almost new but they replaced them anyway...
So I got new brakes with front new rotors again.

So far so good. Driving daily no noise
Appreciate 1