BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Apple play or something else?

I need Waze on my infotainment screen like yesterday.

Is anyone running it? How insane would it be if we can do Waze on the smaller split screen and still have the larger portion for stuff.

Also, what are BMW online widgets? I haven't had a chance to explore, anything useful there?
      07-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post

Is anyone running it? How insane would it be if we can do Waze on the smaller split screen and still have the larger portion for stuff.

Also, what are BMW online widgets? I haven't had a chance to explore, anything useful there?
What year is your F85? 17's-19's Fxx need not apply, otherwise come join our wireless CarPlay group buy for $273 all in, that includes DHL overnight shipping direct to you. Most people just want it for Waze or Spotify anyway (like me). There's only a couple of more days left to join. I'm in the GB & we need 10 peeps to pull this off. More info here:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1632480
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      07-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

If you have a '17 or newer, then use Waze on CarPlay. I use it exclusively and it works great.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      07-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:

What year is your F85? 17's-18's Fxx need not apply, otherwise come join our wireless CarPlay group buy for $273 all in, that includes DHL overnight shipping direct to you. Most people just want it for Waze or Spotify anyway (like me). There's only a couple of more days left to join. I'm in the GB & we need 10 peeps to pull this off. More info here:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1632480
Dude count me in. I have a 16 F85, do I qualify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
If you have a '17 or newer, then use Waze on CarPlay. I use it exclusively and it works great.
Awesome!! I have 16 😕

Can you run it on the split screen?
      07-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

If you do a retrofit as I believe some others have done since you have a 2016.

It runs by default on split screen, but it's annoying. I run Waze on the left and then have the BMW Connect app for Spotify on the right side just to show me the album artwork of the song that is playing (via CarPlay).

I plan to do the fullscreen coding at some point as it'll be much more useful than split screen.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      07-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Awesome!! I have 16 😕

Most people want to convert the BMW OEM CarPlay split screen to full screen. On the other hand, the Joyeauto kit already comes full screen. So you prefer the split screen, amirite? If so, that's a good question.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      07-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Awesome!! I have 16 😕

Most people want to convert the BMW OEM CarPlay split screen to full screen. On the other hand, the Joyeauto kit already comes full screen. So you prefer split screen?
Not sure.. I currently run split screen with entertainment details on right, and I switch between audio/nav on left. Really I have no preference..

I started reading through the thread you provided but I got lost through all the bickering.

Any functions from the factory settings that won't work? I read that the reverse camera options don't work??

Is there anything that I lose function of?
      07-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome!! I have 16 ��

Most people want to convert the BMW OEM CarPlay split screen to full screen. On the other hand, the Joyeauto kit already comes full screen. So you prefer split screen?
Not sure.. I currently run split screen with entertainment details on right, and I switch between audio/nav on left. Really I have no preference..

I started reading through the thread you provided but I got lost through all the bickering.

Any functions from the factory settings that won't work? I read that the reverse camera options don't work??

Quote:

EDIT:

The debate & bickering will continue ad nauseum, as these are all 1st world problems. But in summary, default setting for the 360 camera is off from the factory (although someone found a sub menu to correct this, not found in the factory instructions.https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=411) The audiophile peeps are outraged because the Bluetooth sound quality is not up to their strict high standards.

There are other expensive retrofit options including OEM, for example Bimmer Retrofit sells a rebranded unit for twice the price? All this confusion is enough to make anyone's head spin. Are you still following all this? lol

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome!! I have 16 ��

Quote:

The debate & bickering will continue ad nauseum, as these are all 1st world problems. But in summary, exit out of CarPlay to gain PDC camera access (although someone found a sub menu to correct this, not found in the factory instructions.https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=411) The audiophile peeps are outraged because the Bluetooth sound quality is not up to their strict high standards.

There are other expensive retrofit options including OEM, for example Bimmer Retrofit sells a rebranded unit for twice the price? All this confusion is enough to make anyone's head spin. Are you still following all this? lol

Understood.

Which is the best option, price not important..?
      07-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #10
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Understood.

Which is the best option, price not important..?
The Fxx NBT Evo Retrofit option >> https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1593428 If you're interested in this, I would PM sj22 as he has successfully done this!

Last edited by Kraftwerk AG; 07-19-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #11
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Now that question is sure to generate some opinions! That's like asking what the best tune is

I see four options:
1. Complete HU upgrade to NBT EVO - haven't heard from many folks that have done this as it is very expensive
2. Upgrade the display to include an Android tablet - you replace the factory screen with a new one that has a tablet built in. You can run all sort of google apps on it, and connect to WiFi. CarPlay is optional through some sort of dongle I think.
3. Wired option such as Unichip - this seems to be the favorite wired option, and one that allows for the cameras to come up when PDC is activated.
4. Wireless such as joyeauto - definitely has limitations but if wireless is important, this is your best bet.

I ended up going with #4 though #3 was very attractive to me as well.
Appreciate 1