European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
jayzzzzzzz
Rep
Drives: f30

Fan Running LOUD on Startup?

Hi,

Video in the comment below.

Basically went to start the car this evening for a drive. The car hasn't been driven in a couple of days and after about 15 seconds of the car being on the fan has come on really loud and keeps cycling through the fan being on very heavy for 3-5 seconds and then going back down to a medium fan before coming back up to high. This is consistent whilst the car is on.

I've tried turning the car on and off and also leaving it for 5 minutes and it continues to do this consistently. I'm new to the car but have definitely not noticed this before, any ideas?

I have no warnings in the car.

Cheers.

Last edited by jayzzzzzzz; 06-13-2019 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
jayzzzzzzz
Rep

Youtube video of the problem below. I've booked the car in with a garage next week and will update once I hear back.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Water pump or thermostat starting to go bad? The same thing happened on my N54 before I had to replace the water pump and thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
jayzzzzzzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Water pump or thermostat starting to go bad? The same thing happened on my N54 before I had to replace the water pump and thermostat.
I've had a lot of people saying it's to do with the air conditioning but hopefully will find out this Thursday. Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #5
jayzzzzzzz
Rep

I've heard back from the garage and been told the air conditioning condenser has leaked which needs replacing however the pressure sensor switch is saying that it's overfilled so this needs to be replaced also as it's faulty.

I've been quoted approximately £1000.00 to sort this which should hopefully be done next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I've noticed mine doing something similar. It doesn't do that pulsating fan speed change, but when I start it up every other time or so the fan goes full speed for a while. I recently flashed the car and disabled cold-start, so I wonder if I'm just noticing the fan now that the exhaust isn't so loud? It doesn't seem normal though.
Appreciate 0