Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

BM3 - Won't recognize the car...

I need some advice on my BM3 tune. I'm coming from the COBB 335 world so I don't know a *ton* on BM3 yet.

I purchased my license from someone else, no issues there. Created an account, BM3 sent me my activation code. However, I did things in the wrong order and I'm wondering if that's my issue. Reading the process now, I didn't have things hooked up when I used the activation code. I just assumed I was activating my account, not necessarily the car too.

I have the wifi device, came with license I bought. I successfully updated the software on it, it's definitely on my wifi. When I have everything hooked up including link light to the ODB port and I reboot the device, I get a half-second where I see a yellow connecting box in the top right, then it simply disappears and does not seem to recognize the device.

I've tried all the standard things: Reconnected everything, pulled negative battery terminal for 3 minutes. Same thing consistently. I did just go in for service, so I might have the newest software, and I haven't read that BM3 has cracked that nut yet. However, I'm not even getting as far as I should for that to be my issue.

My next troubleshooting step is to take the wifi device out of the equation and use a laptop to see if it makes a difference. Planning on trying that today.

Hopefully I can coerce proTUNING Freaks to respond.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Might be your cable. Just email them they’re super quick to respond always.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep

Maybe, but I bought it from a guy who had it working on his car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I need some advice on my BM3 tune. I'm coming from the COBB 335 world so I don't know a *ton* on BM3 yet.

I purchased my license from someone else, no issues there. Created an account, BM3 sent me my activation code. However, I did things in the wrong order and I'm wondering if that's my issue. Reading the process now, I didn't have things hooked up when I used the activation code. I just assumed I was activating my account, not necessarily the car too.

I have the wifi device, came with license I bought. I successfully updated the software on it, it's definitely on my wifi. When I have everything hooked up including link light to the ODB port and I reboot the device, I get a half-second where I see a yellow connecting box in the top right, then it simply disappears and does not seem to recognize the device.

I've tried all the standard things: Reconnected everything, pulled negative battery terminal for 3 minutes. Same thing consistently. I did just go in for service, so I might have the newest software, and I haven't read that BM3 has cracked that nut yet. However, I'm not even getting as far as I should for that to be my issue.

My next troubleshooting step is to take the wifi device out of the equation and use a laptop to see if it makes a difference. Planning on trying that today.

Hopefully I can coerce proTUNING Freaks to respond.
Are u on version .72 of the Mobile APP ? If so...Use the Laptop for now and it should connect fine. There was an APP Connectivity issue on the latest .72 APP version (an update should be out in the next day or two) ...but until then, use the Laptop.
      06-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

disconnect and reconnect the battery on your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep

Update - Serge from support found my issue, which was related to the phone-and-wifi-device combination. They just dropped .073 which fixed my issue.

Does anyone know if bm3 cracked the latest march software update? My car was just in for service and I don't know if they updated it or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Quote:
Update - Serge from support found my issue, which was related to the phone-and-wifi-device combination. They just dropped .073 which fixed my issue.

Does anyone know if bm3 cracked the latest march software update? My car was just in for service and I don't know if they updated it or not.
It looks like you have a 2016, from what I have heard now from two good sources this only affects newer cars with the march update. basically a newer car that receives the march update also applies an update to the dme bootloader, the older cars do not perform this bootloader update, most likely due to hardware incompat..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptz View Post
It looks like you have a 2016, from what I have heard now from two good sources this only affects newer cars with the march update. basically a newer car that receives the march update also applies an update to the dme bootloader, the older cars do not perform this bootloader update, most likely due to hardware incompat..
Gotcha.

Well, I gave up on the wifi device. Every time I told it to do anything beyond download the map and not flash, it dropped wifi (at least) and did nothing else until it rebooted. Then did only that stuff again.

Grabbed my wife's laptop, plugged everything in, and fired it up. Unlocked and flashed in like 3-4minutes. Took the car for a couple adaptation runs... And wow. I'm only on Stage 1 93 and the car seat-of-the-pants feels SO much faster. Really impressive. Did a couple 60-100 runs (on a closed course) and it just feels like an animal now compared to stock.

Probably grab some charge pipes this year to be safe, but next year will be drop in filter, downpipes, midpipes connected to MPE rear, and stage 2. Looking forward to that.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2019, 02:53 AM   #9
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Gotcha.

Well, I gave up on the wifi device. Every time I told it to do anything beyond download the map and not flash, it dropped wifi (at least) and did nothing else until it rebooted. Then did only that stuff again.

Grabbed my wife's laptop, plugged everything in, and fired it up. Unlocked and flashed in like 3-4minutes. Took the car for a couple adaptation runs... And wow. I'm only on Stage 1 93 and the car seat-of-the-pants feels SO much faster. Really impressive. Did a couple 60-100 runs (on a closed course) and it just feels like an animal now compared to stock.

Probably grab some charge pipes this year to be safe, but next year will be drop in filter, downpipes, midpipes connected to MPE rear, and stage 2. Looking forward to that.
BM3 is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:

Told ya
      06-11-2019, 12:36 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

So, I’m about to order my BM3 for my 2019 M4 CP. I got it in April. What’s wrong with the March update and tunes?
Appreciate 0