BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Sport Mode and Steering Changes

What exactly changes when you select Sport Mode in the steering? I am on a 2014 X5 F15 50i.

I have an issue were the car wanders on hwy speeds, requiring frequent correction and it just overall feels loose. It is almost like the tires are overly sensitive to minor road grooves and it keeps pulling, except the road surface is fine. In lower speeds everything seems fine. Alignment was recently done.

Turning the wheel back and forth in a parking lot, you can feel that the rotation/movement is not linear, it seems a little square and feels a tad bit odd, hard to characterize.

Seems to be better in the Sport mode, so curious what changes that makes the steering better.

My steering did bind and not return to neutral and the rack was replaced, the steering has felt worse in terms of this instability than before, just wondering if the fawlty rack was actually giving a better feel and this is normal for this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
It's electric steering. Sport Mode tightens up the steering feedback as well as chassis/suspension if you have M Adaptive or DHP. Can also adjust how long the transmission holds gears and throttle response if you have that selected. I think steering is a little loose in comfort too.

Frequent correcting on the highway is most likely due to the "ruts" "grooves" from thousands of cars traveling in the same path - our wide tires tend to "float" over these ruts/grooves. Try to test out on a freshly paved highway if you can. It should glide just fine without the need to correct if your alignment was recently done and tires are balanced and in good shape. Highways also have a slight grade to either side for water drainage.
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats

Last edited by BimmerTy; 05-30-2019 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
What exactly changes when you select Sport Mode in the steering? I am on a 2014 X5 F15 50i.

I have an issue were the car wanders on hwy speeds, requiring frequent correction and it just overall feels loose. It is almost like the tires are overly sensitive to minor road grooves and it keeps pulling, except the road surface is fine. In lower speeds everything seems fine. Alignment was recently done.

Turning the wheel back and forth in a parking lot, you can feel that the rotation/movement is not linear, it seems a little square and feels a tad bit odd, hard to characterize.

Seems to be better in the Sport mode, so curious what changes that makes the steering better.

My steering did bind and not return to neutral and the rack was replaced, the steering has felt worse in terms of this instability than before, just wondering if the fawlty rack was actually giving a better feel and this is normal for this vehicle.
Do you have adaptive steering. This would cause your steering to change from parking lot to hwy speeds.

Also yes our steering sucks. It's impossible to keep center which causes my wife to constantly feel like she needs to critique my driving.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
It's electric steering. Sport Mode tightens up the steering feedback as well as chassis/suspension if you have M Adaptive or DHP. Can also adjust how long the transmission holds gears and throttle response if you have that selected. I think steering is a little loose in comfort too.

Frequent correcting on the highway is most likely due to the "ruts" "grooves" from thousands of cars traveling in the same path - our wide tires tend to "float" over these ruts/grooves. Try to test out on a freshly paved highway if you can. It should glide just fine without the need to correct if your alignment was recently done and tires are balanced and in good shape. Highways also have a slight grade to either side for water drainage.
It feels like it is super windy out, but it is not, and I drive on the same roads with our A6 and in my GT3, the 911 has some wide rubber too and it does not waver one bit. It is the same behavior with the X5 just about every road now since the steering rack change, wonder if some reset process was not done right or something is loose.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Do you have adaptive steering. This would cause your steering to change from parking lot to hwy speeds.

Also yes our steering sucks. It's impossible to keep center which causes my wife to constantly feel like she needs to critique my driving.
It was floaty and not precise before, but after the rack was changed I keep thinking something is about to break.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
It's impossible to keep center which causes my wife to constantly feel like she needs to critique my driving.
Yours too huh?
Appreciate 2