GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
Alextv200
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 F82; 2019 330i G30

Dual Front-Mounted Air Intakes

Hey everyone,
I've slowly been planning out and putting together resources and parts for my F82 "Milk M4n" build, but I've come across a bit of an issue. For the longest time, I've wanted to install a dual front-mounted air intakes from either VRSF (https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-front-...0-f82-s55.html) or from RK Tunes (https://www.rktunes.com/products/f8x...r-intakes-2014) or from where ever else, and I've seen tons of Bimmers running around with these things installed. I've also heard some critics say that it's the easiest way to hydro lock your engine since it would suck in rainwater or whatever else into the engine. Is this true? And if so, is there a way around this? I currently live in California, but we've been getting rain for quite some time here in LA.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextv200 View Post
Hey everyone,
I've slowly been planning out and putting together resources and parts for my F82 "Milk M4n" build, but I've come across a bit of an issue. For the longest time, I've wanted to install a dual front-mounted air intakes from either VRSF (https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-front-...0-f82-s55.html) or from RK Tunes (https://www.rktunes.com/products/f8x...r-intakes-2014) or from where ever else, and I've seen tons of Bimmers running around with these things installed. I've also heard some critics say that it's the easiest way to hydro lock your engine since it would suck in rainwater or whatever else into the engine. Is this true? And if so, is there a way around this? I currently live in California, but we've been getting rain for quite some time here in LA.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!
Stay away from the VRSF front mount intakes I don’t care what anyone says. They have fitment issues and require a lot of modifying.

RK Tunes, Max PSI, RK Autowerke, or MSR for Front mounts
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I took mine off for the reason you stated. Just didn't want to risk it.

I bought SSR intakes with wire mesh filters. They sounded great, fitment was fine, and no CEL or other issues besides a jumpy cold start idle. I took them off because I was paranoid driving in the rain or through dust. The other style filters where you need to lubricate do a better job filtering, but other owners have had issues with the oil getting on MAF sensor and throwing CEL.

Neither situation is worth compromising for me, so I just went back to stock and get on it all the time now
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
M3anPower
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Eventuri intakes
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #5
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
I took mine off for the reason you stated. Just didn't want to risk it.

I bought SSR intakes with wire mesh filters. They sounded great, fitment was fine, and no CEL or other issues besides a jumpy cold start idle. I took them off because I was paranoid driving in the rain or through dust. The other style filters where you need to lubricate do a better job filtering, but other owners have had issues with the oil getting on MAF sensor and throwing CEL.

Neither situation is worth compromising for me, so I just went back to stock and get on it all the time now
SSR are no good in a Northern climate... multiply that "jumpy" cold start to the point where the car stalls out 3 or 4 times before being able to start at freezing temps.

The sound in the summer tho
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
SSR are no good in a Northern climate... multiply that "jumpy" cold start to the point where the car stalls out 3 or 4 times before being able to start at freezing temps.

Is this with all intakes? This jumpy cold start? I’m looking for a set but now im second guessing myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:

Is this with all intakes? This jumpy cold start? I’m looking for a set but now im second guessing myself.
There are several threads discussing intake shortfalls.

It seems like all aluminum intakes have the same issues.

K&N and other oiled filters don't play nice with the MAF.

Dual front intakes don't seem to fit without modification.

Eventuri and Dinan are both beautiful but gains are questionable.

End of the day the SSR I can remove and reinstall in less than half an hour twice a year.

For the sound it makes it's worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #8
conquistador714
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I have the Agency Power Front mount intakes. I enjoy the sound of them. I have driven the car in torrential rain, warm weather, and 40 degree weather with no issues. The only "issue" I experience with cold starts is the RPM is about 100RPM higher for maybe 30 seconds then lowers to the regular idle speed. No lumpy idle, no stalling, none of that. I would recommend them, no regrets here.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
JayKno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador714 View Post
I have the Agency Power Front mount intakes. I enjoy the sound of them. I have driven the car in torrential rain, warm weather, and 40 degree weather with no issues. The only "issue" I experience with cold starts is the RPM is about 100RPM higher for maybe 30 seconds then lowers to the regular idle speed. No lumpy idle, no stalling, none of that. I would recommend them, no regrets here.
Do the filters get wet in heavy rain?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #10
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80 M3

Yes they do get wet. I'm running the VRSF front mounts, and generally love them, but I do get paranoid as shit whenever it rains, drive slow, put car into comfort so turbos don't spool as much. etc... Plus they get crazy dirty, mine have been on the car for 2 months, DD, they were bright blue, now they are dark grayish black, nasty.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

The problem with the front mount intakes is those longer tubes add more intake restriction so while you might get a little more sound in the front of the car there is a performance trade off with them. They are also harder to install but I think the water intake risks are over hyped.

For full disclosure we carry the Phoenix Race and BMS Elite S55 intakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
The problem with the front mount intakes is those longer tubes add more intake restriction so while you might get a little more sound in the front of the car there is a performance trade off with them. They are also harder to install but I think the water intake risks are over hyped.

For full disclosure we carry the Phoenix Race and BMS Elite S55 intakes.
I don’t buy this. Any data proving a restriction vs. OEM ducting?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #13
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

I've got the Max PSI front mounts. Water concerns are overhyped; you would have to more or less submerse the front end to pull sufficient water in. Don't be an idiot, and do max speed runs when it's raining hard (for peace of mind), but seriously, these water concerns are overhyped.

That said, there is little data that shows that front mounts increase HP/torque. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bothered.
      05-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #14
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
While the length/application for this situation may not be sufficiently impacted, the flow rate is inversely related to length. So, it is at least plausible.

For a practical exercise to prove the point, walk around all day breathing through a snorkel (in effect creating a longer trachea) and see if it is any more difficult.
Or, you could look up and trust the Hagen-Poiseuille Law that proves it.
      05-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #15
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
While the length/application for this situation may not be sufficiently impacted, the flow rate is inversely related to length. So, it is at least plausible.

For a practical exercise to prove the point, walk around all day breathing through a snorkel (in effect creating a longer trachea) and see if it is any more difficult.
Or, you could look up and trust the Hagen-Poiseuille Law that proves it.
In that case, wouldn’t the oem intake be the snorkel and the front mounts be extra tubing to the original snorkel?

For those worried about water, when you see those 4x4s with those snorkels, wouldn’t those be more prone to water than the front mount?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #16
Alextv200
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 F82; 2019 330i G30

Quote:
There are several threads discussing intake shortfalls.

It seems like all aluminum intakes have the same issues.

K&N and other oiled filters don't play nice with the MAF.

Dual front intakes don't seem to fit without modification.

Eventuri and Dinan are both beautiful but gains are questionable.

End of the day the SSR I can remove and reinstall in less than half an hour twice a year.

For the sound it makes it's worth it for me.
I knew there was a little bit of cutting on plastic (found that out through Kies Motorsports install of the VSRF dual front-mount air intakes on his F80;
). I'm not sure if BMW would throw a fit about that little bit of plastic being cut, but I couldn't care less, honestly. I've also seen some other threads were intakes don't really give you gains (most of the time), but I really love the aggressive look of the dual cones popping out from behind the grill ;p. If anything, is there such a thing as a company that has waterproof cones?? Someone threw that idea out and I thought I might as well ask the community now!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #17
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextv200 View Post
I knew there was a little bit of cutting on plastic (found that out through Kies Motorsports install of the VSRF dual front-mount air intakes on his F80;
). I'm not sure if BMW would throw a fit about that little bit of plastic being cut, but I couldn't care less, honestly. I've also seen some other threads were intakes don't really give you gains (most of the time), but I really love the aggressive look of the dual cones popping out from behind the grill ;p. If anything, is there such a thing as a company that has waterproof cones?? Someone threw that idea out and I thought I might as well ask the community now!
These look super cool but wouldn’t these block air to the radiator?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #18
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These look super cool but wouldn’t these block air to the radiator?
Maybe, but I have dual front mounts, and I track my M pretty heavily and have no overheating problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #19
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:
In that case, wouldn’t the OEM intake be the snorkel and the front mounts be extra tubing to the original snorkel?
That is correct - the OEM intake tubes produce an inherent baseline restriction (although, they do actually flow very well). Adding additional length to the OEM baseline adds restriction, in accordance with the mentioned equation.

Again, it may not be (probably isn't) of any real-world significance given the relatively short distance added.
      05-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Maybe, but I have dual front mounts, and I track my M pretty heavily and have no overheating problems.
Sweet. You are the man to talk to then. What brand do you have installed? Also cotton or mesh filter?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #21
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
No I'm not in the intake business so don't have data to post but I know the testing has been done. To relocate to the front and maintain a similar flow to say BMS' design that retains the factory airboxes you'd have to go up to 3.5" piping which doesn't fit very well.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sweet. You are the man to talk to then. What brand do you have installed? Also cotton or mesh filter?
Max PSI, oiled K&N style filter.

As I said in another post, it hasn't been a problem, but I doubt there are any gains. Probably wouldn't do it again, if I was starting from scratch.

The benefits are that the dual filters in front look semi cool, and the engine bay is a lot more open.
Appreciate 0