Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-20-2019, 03:50 AM   #1
LennonM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

M4 Competition Exhaust Vs Miltek full race system with decat downpipes

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, I'll cut the story short; the title says it all.

Is Miltek full race system an upgrade over competition exhaust? Is the sound louder/better? (Not looking at any other brands, just miltek at the moment )

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Most exhausts sound the same on this car, unless the 2 pipes are merged somewhere with a x-pipe or AA style midpipe (and even then it's not that different). If you only want Milltek, save your money and unplug your valves to force them open. Louder almost always isn't better on this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Most exhausts sound the same on this car, unless the 2 pipes are merged somewhere with a x-pipe or AA style midpipe (and even then it's not that different). If you only want Milltek, save your money and unplug your valves to force them open. Louder almost always isn't better on this car.
Most of the exhausts sound the same because they're all the same design with no mufflers and straight pipe with valves open sounds awful. The twin pipes need to be joined at the front into an oval pipe at least 5" long then exit back into two with at least 24" of perforated tube resonators in the midpipe to get a note out of the exhaust instead of a raspy noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
LennonM4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
Most of the exhausts sound the same because they're all the same design with no mufflers and straight pipe with valves open sounds awful. The twin pipes need to be joined at the front into an oval pipe at least 5" long then exit back into two with at least 24" of perforated tube resonators in the midpipe to get a note out of the exhaust instead of a raspy noise.
Thanks for the reply ! So what would some people like to change the exhaust from competition pack exhaust to the miltek system? Why seems to be the benefit and the pros and cons of it?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennonM4 View Post
Thanks for the reply ! So what would some people like to change the exhaust from competition pack exhaust to the miltek system? Why seems to be the benefit and the pros and cons of it?
I found the stock system sounded pretty good but seemed to be a bit lack luster when at motorway speeds as the valves would then close again (to stop drone). So I did a secondary cat and resonator delete with an x-pipe fitted. so with the valves closed its really quiet and then loud with them open (got a BM3 tune for cold start delete for my neighbours sake and so the valves are open in sport)

Where abouts in the UK are you? if you're local to Southampton area you are welcome to have a listen to mine as youtube is nothing like real life.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
LennonM4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
I found the stock system sounded pretty good but seemed to be a bit lack luster when at motorway speeds as the valves would then close again (to stop drone). So I did a secondary cat and resonator delete with an x-pipe fitted. so with the valves closed its really quiet and then loud with them open (got a BM3 tune for cold start delete for my neighbours sake and so the valves are open in sport)

Where abouts in the UK are you? if you're local to Southampton area you are welcome to have a listen to mine as youtube is nothing like real life.

Thanks for the reply !! Which brand are you using? I'm located at Manchester, could be a little far, but I'll definitely come down to have a look when you're free !
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:08 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I recommend getting the Active Autowerke midpipe instead, it provides a real upgrade for a lower cost and you get to keep the competition axle back

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennonM4 View Post
Thanks for the reply !! Which brand are you using? I'm located at Manchester, could be a little far, but I'll definitely come down to have a look when you're free !
I just got a Magnaflow x pipe then got a local place to fit it for me. PCW exhausts would be able to modify your stock exhaust and is very reasonable too. I would have gone that route as I did with my M5 but he gets booked up quickly, hes now got a workshop in Milton Keynes that he works out of.
Appreciate 0