Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
FY
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Some thoughts on BM3 tunes for my Manual F80 M3

I have used several BM3 tunes (CS, GTS, Stage1) for about 2 months on my 2015 manual F80 M3 (Non-ZCP), here are some of my feelings and thoughts:

First of all, the roar sounds pretty good when starting the car, and every OTS maps have this roar, but one problem is that when you enable the engine auto start and off in traffic, press the clutch, the rpm will hold at 2000 for a second, which sounds very loud outside and it is not a good experience.

The power gain is pretty obvious for the 91 octane stage 1 tune, but all of the maps don't feel smooth for a manual car, for example, there is a little bit of hesitation when starting in 1st gear, and it a little bit of jerk in 2nd, 3rd even 4th gear when you let off the gas and press the gas again

I can barely hear the exhaust burble even though I select 7 which is very aggressive and 1.5 sec of duration with the total stock exhaust.

How does BM3 work in a DCT transmission?
Do you guys have the same feelings as me if you got the manual?

(ALL OF MY OPINIONS ARE BASED ON MY CAR(Manual))
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
goosey2099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4/2001 GALANT AWD

Have you changed your plugs yet???
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
FY
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosey2099 View Post
Quote:
Not yet. Will that be better if I change plugs?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:35 PM   #4
TrueNorthM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White BMW M3 (DCT)

Haven't tried the stage 1 tune yet, but with a CS map on my 15' DCT, throttle is smooth like stock. No hesitations or jerkiness. I'm guessing when you flash back to stock these issues you're having go away?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #5
Mnoob2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 zcp / AP2

2018 M3 ZCP 6MT with 5k miles. I tried the CS+ map and wasn't liking the idle. It didn't "feel" right. I then switched to the CS map and have been running it since. I get the occasional jerkiness in the morning even though after warming up the car. I blip the throttle and it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #6
FY
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorthM3 View Post
Haven't tried the stage 1 tune yet, but with a CS map on my 15' DCT, throttle is smooth like stock. No hesitations or jerkiness. I'm guessing when you flash back to stock these issues you're having go away?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorthM3 View Post
Yes, it feels better in stock map
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 06:05 AM   #7
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

I' on BM3 stage 1 93 oct have the same trends on manual m4 when lifting off the throttle (like on highway traffic) and accelerating again in the lower gears makes it jerk, sometimes more than usual. This is remedied for me by pressing lightly on the clutch. Same jerkiness also happened when I first began to learn manual driving so I figured that's the norm with the initial adaptation reset and would take a bit of finesse/modulation until the car adapter to my driving style. It's much more less now, so could be that.

and, I don't use auto start/stop and kind of like the quieter exhaust (even though it's on one of the higher settings for a short duration.) There's a guy in my neighborhood with a 4 series that loves the gunshot burbles for what is probably the longest duration. To each their own, but definitely don't want to be grouped with him as those obnoxious BMW drivers by the lay person.

edit: also haven't changed plugs as they were recently changed by BMW under 30k maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
AlexNFH
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoob2 View Post
I get the occasional jerkiness in the morning even though after warming up the car. I blip the throttle and it goes away.
I have the same with Stage 2 flash. However if car is a little warm the issue is gone. Feels like an cold old car with carburetors. Otherwise no problems at all.

Alex
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #9
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
I'm on BM3 93oct 18' ZCP M3 6MT

I haven't experienced any of these issues, but I also modulate the throttle by feel (doesn't everyone?) and I can't relate to any jerkiness issues...I've had and driven many different MT cars over the years, and this is a smooth ride- and for 500+ hp/tq.

I also have no experience w CS maps or 91 maps..and I'm basically stock (w K&N dropins)
Appreciate 1
Gtracer53.50
      05-12-2019, 01:55 AM   #10
kgroschi_VerdeMantis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Verde Mantis

Anyone know who would be the best person on here to read logs and give suggestions? Is there anyone?
      05-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I have a manual 2016 M3 (non-ZCP). Looking at the Stage 1 dyno curves, it seems like there is a tremendous rise in torque at low RPMs. Before reading this thread I always wondered how that would work with the M3 since the car already seems to be at the brink of traction at those RPMs when you roll into the throttle at lower gears. I can absolutely see jerkiness being an effect on this tune. I'm sure on the highway it is extremely effective but isn't this a tough tune to drive daily with the manual?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
FY
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I have a manual 2016 M3 (non-ZCP). Looking at the Stage 1 dyno curves, it seems like there is a tremendous rise in torque at low RPMs. Before reading this thread I always wondered how that would work with the M3 since the car already seems to be at the brink of traction at those RPMs when you roll into the throttle at lower gears. I can absolutely see jerkiness being an effect on this tune. I'm sure on the highway it is extremely effective but isn't this a tough tune to drive daily with the manual?
Quote:
That's right...I love the power that it gains from stage 1 but it's really not that comfortable when you want to drive normally, so I switch back to the stock. It seems like we have the same feeling on the 6MTs not just me, I think they have to make another tune specifically for 6MT f80/f82...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #13
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FY View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That's right...I love the power that it gains from stage 1 but it's really not that comfortable when you want to drive normally, so I switch back to the stock. It seems like we have the same feeling on the 6MTs not just me, I think they have to make another tune specifically for 6MT f80/f82...
The BMS Stage 1 tune obviously is not as adjustable, nor does it have the bigger torque gains but doesn't it seem like it would work better?

It would be nice if this had a less drastic low rpm torque curve that just held on until redline.
Appreciate 1
Mustoke13.50
      05-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #14
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

I switch to efficient at stops and progress to sport and sport + at speed. Try that.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #15
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FY View Post
I have used several BM3 tunes (CS, GTS, Stage1) for about 2 months on my 2015 manual F80 M3 (Non-ZCP), here are some of my feelings and thoughts:

First of all, the roar sounds pretty good when starting the car, and every OTS maps have this roar, but one problem is that when you enable the engine auto start and off in traffic, press the clutch, the rpm will hold at 2000 for a second, which sounds very loud outside and it is not a good experience.

The power gain is pretty obvious for the 91 octane stage 1 tune, but all of the maps don't feel smooth for a manual car, for example, there is a little bit of hesitation when starting in 1st gear, and it a little bit of jerk in 2nd, 3rd even 4th gear when you let off the gas and press the gas again

I can barely hear the exhaust burble even though I select 7 which is very aggressive and 1.5 sec of duration with the total stock exhaust.

How does BM3 work in a DCT transmission?
Do you guys have the same feelings as me if you got the manual?

(ALL OF MY OPINIONS ARE BASED ON MY CAR(Manual))
Try setting Exhaust Flaps to "OPEN" on the configuration setting and turn up the settings until your happy
      05-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #16
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Hi, Johnny from Sweden here. i have a M4comp pack 2017 6-speed. I also have the Bootmod for my car that i used in my previous 2017 m4 so i will flash that into the one i have now. But i will lower torque on it. I feel that i don't need over 700Nm, especially not in 1st and 2nd gear. I will lower it in all gears i Think so i end up at the same torquenumbers as the GTS but with a bit more top end Power. that gives me a smoother Engine caracter and a feel that the Engine is pulling harder on higher revs, like a n/a Engine.
it also reduce the risk of a spun crankhub if you are worried about that.

Johnny
Appreciate 1
FY6.50