Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

Getting the tune itch...

So I just cleared 40k miles and still in warranty through next year and 50k. But I'm really starting to get the desire to add a tune. BM3 has my eye with the performance, flexibility, and control as well as the ability to tune from an iPhone/iPad. Seems like everyone who has gone that route is happy, my big concern is the SCH. Does the BM3 offer full range of control over all aspects of tuning (I.e. start up roar, cold start delete, active sound, custom tuning for fuel and timing, boost pressure, etc)? Does it also allow for other tuning/coding around side mirror folding, MDM off at start, etc? Or is it just engine performance related control? Selfishly looking for some validation to move ahead...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Cant go wrong with BM3, you get access to all the settings & features.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:53 AM   #3
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Cant go wrong with BM3, you get access to all the settings & features.
Yes you can go wrong. You may spin your crank hub.

That goes for any tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
Kuervers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS,6sp 16 X5 35i

has the features but not the coding. doesnt the "itch" come after the break in service lol
Appreciate 1
Gtracer53.50
      05-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuervers View Post
has the features but not the coding. doesnt the "itch" come after the break in service lol
Haha. Good point. I purchased used so already had 11k miles on it in '17. This thing has been a champ for me though. Other than a small leak in the rear diff and unevenly worn brakes all taken care of under warranty, everything else has been great. I'm hesitant to upset the experience. That said I owned Saabs for years and got into tuning myself with a 1990 900. Built the engine, clutch, tranny and tuned the engine maps (fuel, timing, boost, etc) from scratch through dyno and road tuning. Drove it daily. Interesting thing I started rewiring for the new ECU on Friday night one weekend and drive the car to work the following Monday as it was my only car. Ah the days of no kids and an understanding wife... Then had a '06 9-3 Aero. Just did a chip with that one and enjoyed it for years - only needed a clutch. Still kept the 90 as my "hot rod" but now the stock f80 fills that need... I like the idea of flexibility and control and power is always nice when balanced. I'm thinking a new experience with this car may be a good thing for me now.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #6
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post

That goes for any tune.
Here we go again...
Appreciate 7
minn1914034.50
///M3_F80211.50
shay2nak1070.00
Ibiza3611.50
TideMD291.50
Laoschris491.00
      05-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That goes for any tune.
That goes for any S55, happens to stock cars as well. No evidence that its tune related

Appreciate 1
Mandi90TT2712.00
      05-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I say tune it. I have a M2c with 1700 miles and I want to tune it. I want to wait ltitle longer though.

Just do not get an e85 tune. Seems like there is something going on with cars running ethanol. Not sure if its fuel dilution issues in the crankcase oil. DI engines tend to have fuel dilution in the engine oil.

Here is a quote I 100% agree with.

Quote:
Another thing, when I worked for a major wireless carrier, at their phone insurance seminar, I remember they told us that if a phone doesn't show defects in parts and assembly with a year of operation, there's a 90% chance it would stay functional within its shelf life. The same principle applies to a vehicle; if a car doesn't show any signs that it has a major flaw or a its lemon within a couple of months of operations, more than likely it is safe to tune without risk of any sort of mechanical failure.
Appreciate 2
Gtracer53.50
cotmfk2049.50
      05-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I say tune it. I have a M2c with 1700 miles and I want to tune it. I want to wait ltitle longer though.

Just do not get an e85 tune. Seems like there is something going on with cars running ethanol. Not sure if its fuel dilution issues in the crankcase oil. DI engines tend to have fuel dilution in the engine oil.

Had the tune in my '15 for about 8 days before i spun my crank hub -- 3 weeks ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
modiddy24
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
Quote:

Had the tune in my '15 for about 8 days before i spun my crank hub -- 3 weeks ago.
Quote:
Quote:

What tune and level of tune did you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #11
k9lovr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 and 22' X3M40i

Quote:
How many miles on the car when tuned?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #12
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT DAWG View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

What tune and level of tune did you have?
BM3 stage 2
Quote:
Quote:
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #13
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9lovr View Post
Quote:
How many miles on the car when tuned?
Just over 16k
Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
If you agree with that quote, neither you nor the person who originally said it have had the displeasure of dealing with certain ///M engines and rod bearings.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 04:17 AM   #15
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:

That goes for any tune.
That goes for any S55, happens to stock cars as well. No evidence that its tune related
There is a load of evidence this is tune related as over 98% sampled on this forum were tuned.

If you are unlucky enough to spin a stock car do two things

1. Buy a lotto ticket
2. Ask BMW to fix which they will do in warranty and often out of warranty (good will gesture)

This is a problem almost exclusively of tuned cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #16
k9lovr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 and 22' X3M40i

Quote:
Just over 16k
Thanks for the info. Quick question, did your failure coincide with an over-rev? I saw your conversation in another thread about the over-rev issue/debate and didn't know if that played into the failure with your car or if there was no correlation. Appreciate the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #17
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9lovr View Post
Quote:
Just over 16k
Thanks for the info. Quick question, did your failure coincide with an over-rev? I saw your conversation in another thread about the over-rev issue/debate and didn't know if that played into the failure with your car or if there was no correlation. Appreciate the info!
I'm speculating, because I did bounce off the limiter. However, there should be fuel a fuel cut off and timing retarded that high. I purchased the car with around 10k miles; previous owner could have money shifted it in the past. I did not have fasta data pulled and risk warranty being voided, so I'll never know date and time of any severe overrev, if there were one.
Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #18
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That goes for any tune.
There is a load of evidence this is tune related as over 98% sampled on this forum were tuned.

1. Buy a lotto ticket
2. Ask BMW to fix which they will do in warranty and often out of warranty (good will gesture)

Stock cars have been spinning, too. DCT and 6MT. More prevalent with a tune, but with all mods and its happening.
Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #19
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
So I just cleared 40k miles and still in warranty through next year and 50k. But I'm really starting to get the desire to add a tune. BM3 has my eye with the performance, flexibility, and control as well as the ability to tune from an iPhone/iPad. Seems like everyone who has gone that route is happy, my big concern is the SCH. Does the BM3 offer full range of control over all aspects of tuning (I.e. start up roar, cold start delete, active sound, custom tuning for fuel and timing, boost pressure, etc)? Does it also allow for other tuning/coding around side mirror folding, MDM off at start, etc? Or is it just engine performance related control? Selfishly looking for some validation to move ahead...
Sounds like you’re looking more for programmability of features than raw performance? The car as is, is really quick and fun to drive with all the power most can handle. I’d rethink a performance boost tune as it’s overkill in my opinion and just adds more stress to an already high strung motor with mileage out of warranty. Unless you are super DIY’er it’s just not worth it.

Last edited by shortseller; 05-10-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
Kooch102.00
      05-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

1. Buy a lotto ticket

It happens with stock cars as well so its not tune related.

Reminds me of the N54 turbo wastegate issue.

Everyone started claiming its tune related until BMW finally recognized its a defect. And you still have forum members blaming the tune for it.

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 12:59 AM   #21
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Quote:
It happens with stock cars as well so its not tune related.

Reminds me of the N54 turbo wastegate issue.

Everyone started claiming its tune related until BMW finally recognized its a defect. And you still have forum members blaming the tune for it.
Mike, I know you are just trying to be helpful in this thread, but just a small piece of advice: As a seller of tunes it may be prudent to sit this one out.

You may very well be right but you do have to admit you have a vested interest in promoting your side in this thread.

If you are right, however, maybe BM3 can offer a warranty for stock engines that sustain damage after installing a tune. Seems counterintuitive if these failures are due to an engine defect but it at least would provide some peace of mind similar to carbahn.

Just a thought.

Last edited by David 12; 05-12-2019 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
drgmt984.50
      05-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Mike, I know you are just trying to be helpful in this thread, but just a small piece of advice: As a seller of tunes it may be prudent to sit this one out.

You may very well be right but you do have to admit you have a vested interest in promoting your side in this thread.

If you are right, however, maybe BM3 can offer a warranty for stock engines that sustain damage after installing a tune. Seems counterintuitive if these failures are due to an engine defect but it at least would provide some peace of mind similar to carbahn.

Just a thought.
The validity of the statement is independent from the speaker or the speaker's intention/background.

I made a clear statement and im more than happy to discuss it with anyone that disagrees with facts and data.

Appreciate 1
Gtracer53.50