European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-29-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

Exhaust has developed an odd noise

So I just got my car back after having catless downpipes installed. The whole system is an Active Autowerke's exhaust. The shop took the whole exhaust off the car while doing the downpipes and my first thought about this noise is that a joint came loose. If you've seen the AA exhaust it's really crazy with the nuts and clamps.

Because I have the catless downpipes I hear things I never heard before and need some insight from guys who know what things should and shouldn't sound like.

Here's the clip and it's the tinny rattle you hear coming off throttle that I'm concerned with.

04-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

It’s an exhaust leak. Take it to the shop and have them do it right. Ale sure they replace the one-time-use-only gaskets

Check out this video
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
It's an exhaust leak. Take it to the shop and have them do it right. Ale sure they replace the one-time-use-only gaskets.
Hey Tommy. Funny enough I watched your issue with the leak at the dowpipes while they had the car. I didn't realize I needed those gaskets and flanges where the midpipe and dp's meet but the shop did and grabbed new ones from BMW. I got way over charged by the dealer something like $40 per gasket.

I have a clip where I recorded the dp area and that section isn't moving that I can tell.

I know I can take it back to have it looked at but it's a lot of hassle if I can reposition a clamp on my own and be done in less time than driving it over there.
      04-30-2019, 05:05 AM   #4
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
It's an exhaust leak. Take it to the shop and have them do it right. Ale sure they replace the one-time-use-only gaskets.
Hey Tommy. Funny enough I watched your issue with the leak at the dowpipes while they had the car. I didn't realize I needed those gaskets and flanges where the midpipe and dp's meet but the shop did and grabbed new ones from BMW. I got way over charged by the dealer something like $40 per gasket.

I have a clip where I recorded the dp area and that section isn't moving that I can tell.

I know I can take it back to have it looked at but it's a lot of hassle if I can reposition a clamp on my own and be done in less time than driving it over there.
In that case it's very easy to reposition the clamps
Those clamps are actually very poorly designed.
In my video when I out everything back together I also had a leak at the rear clamps. After repositioning them I'm good to go.

Oh and be sure not to get under the car with just s jack. Use some backup
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 11:26 PM   #5
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanz M4

Quote:
So I just got my car back after having catless downpipes installed. The whole system is an Active Autowerke's exhaust. The shop took the whole exhaust off the car while doing the downpipes and my first thought about this noise is that a joint came loose. If you've seen the AA exhaust it's really crazy with the nuts and clamps.

Because I have the catless downpipes I hear things I never heard before and need some insight from guys who know what things should and shouldn't sound like.

Here's the clip and it's the tinny rattle you hear coming off throttle that I'm concerned with.

Did you ever fix this? I have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauzins View Post
Quote:

Did you ever fix this? I have the same problem
Insisted this needed to be looked at and the shop found that the exhaust had settled differently and the sound was from that. There is also a sound at start up that happens when the car opens the waste gates at start up. I push the start/stop button 1 second before I actually start the car and it prevents the rattle at start up.
TopJimmy5460.00