Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Radartrap
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Dinan problem?

Three weeks ago, my '15 M4 coupe with 11.5k miles started flashing "Malfunction" messages on the instrument cluster: Drivetrain (car was running fine), Parking Brake (working ok), Automatic Parking and Lane Change Warning (doesn't have those features), Retractable Top (car is a coupe). Only valid warning was Instrument Panel Malfunction--all gauges were inoperable except for the speedo. Took it to a high-end Eurocar shop in town that I trust. They ran an Autologic scan and found ~60 bad codes. They were unable to clear the codes or reload the software, which suggested a Kombi failure. They advised me to bring it to my dealership because the odometer would have to be reset if the Kombi were replaced.
The service rep at the dealership found even more bizarre info stored on the key fob. He called in the shop manager. First thing he asked was if I had a tuner--I did, a Dinan Stage 1. He removed the tuner and presto--he cleared he codes and recoded the software. He stopped short of blaming the tuner for the problem (said he'd never seen anything like this before), and advised me to keep driving and see if the problem recurs.
I'm thinking it had to have been caused by the Dinan because the local shop didn't remove it and couldn't fix the problem, but the dealership removed it and did fix the problem. Opinions? Advice on how to get Dinan to make good? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Make good? On what? The car runs fine now I assume?

But seriously, why not call Dinan, tell them of your experience and see what they say. I’m guessing nothing will come of this but at the very least they might be interested to see what might be wrong with the piggyback? If it wasn’t a software conflict they might even make you whole with a new one, which I wouldn’t retune the car again if me in any event.
      04-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Make good? On what? The car runs fine now I assume?

But seriously, why not call Dinan, tell them of your experience and see what they say. I'm guessing nothing will come of this but at the very least they might be interested to see what might be wrong with the piggyback? If it wasn't a software conflict they might even make you whole with a new one, which I wouldn't retune the car again if me in any event.
This and ask for a refund.
      04-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
iverr6
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Just out of curiosity, did the dealership install the tune initially?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 01:46 AM   #5
Radartrap
Rep

The tuner was installed by the local shop I mentioned in my post.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
iverr6
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Im thinking of putting a tune on my car, people have recommended that I only have it installed by a BMW dealership authorized by Dinan. If you think about it they were the ones that knew the tune was the issue. I'm not knocking your shop, I've have also contacted specialty shops in my town and they just flat out told me they don't want to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #7
Machtavian
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

I had a similar issue a few years ago. It was a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

BMW dealerships have access to a suite of tools that make solving problems like this easier. This may be a big reason why your shop was unable to solve it. Also, if your shop was the one to install the tune, I would also assume that they wouldn't want to help liable for anything wrong that happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
Machtavian
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Reprod: I strongly disagree with your statement. As I posted a few posts up, I had similar issues with my f80. The dash was lighting up like a Christmas tree. I took it to a Dinan authorized dealer and they could not figure out what was causing all my issues. They wanted to charge me to pull the Dinan harness and see if that solves the issues. I called Dinan and complained. They called the dealer and they ended up trying a software update. That didn't work, so they put a new harness in; that didn't work either. Finally, they sent a new box and that solved the issues. It took about 6 months of bringing the car in and out of the dealer to finally get it fixed. After it was fixed, my SA implied not to bring the car back because it was a nightmare dealing with Dinan. I let Dinan know what was implied and the SA was fired. I felt bad, but I was offended. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have called Dinan and complained after it was fixed. I was just really upset with the whole process taking so long to get resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

How long did you have the time before this issue happened?
      04-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I had an issue with dinan stg1 on a previous car causing an electrical/sensor gremlin. Dealer tried all sorts of things to remedy it but in the end I just removed the whole thing and the car ran perfectly. Eventually got a jb stg1 which I should have just done from the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
Radartrap
Rep

Thanks for your posts, guys. Here's the denouement:
I emailed Dinan, described the problem and gigged them for advertising that their product threw no codes, and that they were in bed with BMW. Asked for a refund.
I expected to get a lot of pushback from them about not having it installed by a Dinan dealer; how do you know it was the tuner, did you do an electronic analysis, etc. They replied that they don't do refunds after 30 days. But, they said to send it back and they'd replace it. I sent it back and they sent a new one the same day they received my defective tuner. I got it yesterday.

This swift turnaround with no pushback tells me that they must have been having plenty of problems with this tuner. I plan to have my local mechanic install it. I'd rather have had the refund, but the only alternative is to dump the tuner and swallow the cost.
Appreciate 0