BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Hey ll so I got the AA midpipe installed an I love the sound. I got the AA brace because I saw some people complained of a rattling sound when the pipe touched the bracket. I don't believe that is what I am experiencing, but ever since getting the pipe installed I have a rattle/vibration coming from somewhere in the cabin. I'm sure that the slight increase in vibration from removing the resonator/secondary cat is causing additional vibration in the car but I can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Anyone have a similar issue after an exhaust install and have any specific place in the car I should add felt tape or something. Thanks!
      04-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
datninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
Hey ll so I got the AA midpipe installed an I love the sound. I got the AA bracket because I saw some people complained of a rattling sound when the pipe touched the bracket. I don't believe that is what I am experiencing, but ever since getting the pipe installed I have a rattle/vibration coming from somewhere in the cabin. I'm sure that the slight increase in vibration from removing the resonator/secondary cat is causing additional vibration in the car but I can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Anyone have a similar issue after an exhaust install and have any specific place in the car I should add felt tape or something. Thanks!
Search "DIY rattle fix", should fix most of your rattles from the interior at least.
      04-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by datninja View Post
Quote:
Hey ll so I got the AA midpipe installed an I love the sound. I got the AA bracket because I saw some people complained of a rattling sound when the pipe touched the bracket. I don't believe that is what I am experiencing, but ever since getting the pipe installed I have a rattle/vibration coming from somewhere in the cabin. I'm sure that the slight increase in vibration from removing the resonator/secondary cat is causing additional vibration in the car but I can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Anyone have a similar issue after an exhaust install and have any specific place in the car I should add felt tape or something. Thanks!
Search "DIY rattle fix", should fix most of your rattles from the interior at least.
Thanks I feel like most of those rattled are caused from heat expansion causing plastics to touch. This is specific to having more vibration from an aftermarket exhaust. Maybe rattle isn't the right word it's more of a hum / vibration.

Wasn't sure if there is a known culprit on this car. For example on the E92 when people would get aftermarket exhausts the trick was to put a hand towel in the sliding tray in between the two rear seats since that would vibrate.

Thank you
      04-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

I just fixed the issue this weekend.
Did you get new grease rings when you did the midpipe? They’re one time use and you need a new set every time you swap exhausts.

I did a DIY video that I’m editing. Comes out this Sunday and will solve all your issues.
Appreciate 1
ssgm1x418.50
      04-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Did you get new grease rings when you did the midpipe? They’re one time use and you need a new set every time you swap exhausts.

I did a DIY video that I’m editing. Comes out this Sunday and will solve all your issues.
Not sure since I got it done at a shop. In your video is there a clip of what the sound sounds like so I can tell if it's the same issue I have?

Thank you
      04-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you get new grease rings when you did the midpipe? They're one time use and you need a new set every time you swap exhausts.

I did a DIY video that I'm editing. Comes out this Sunday and will solve all your issues.
Not sure since I got it done at a shop. In your video is there a clip of what the sound sounds like so I can tell if it's the same issue I have?

Thank you
45 second mark

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you get new grease rings when you did the midpipe? They're one time use and you need a new set every time you swap exhausts.

I did a DIY video that I'm editing. Comes out this Sunday and will solve all your issues.

Thank you
45 second mark

Thanks for sharing. Will double check later but don't think that's it's. I don't believe I have any rattle when revving it l. I believe that I only hear this noise when I'm driving. Under heavy load in a high gear seems to make it most pronounced because that's when I have the most vibration in the cabin
      04-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

AA pipe is close to the tunnel as it transitions to the side. The bolts are also long at the connection to the pipes that go around the diff. They could be hitting the heat shield, I cut them back. Also the pipes can come really close to the back of the diff/diff mount.

It really requires some adjustment to get it right.
      04-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
AA pipe is close to the tunnel as it transitions to the side. The bolts are also long at the connection to the pipes that go around the diff. They could be hitting the heat shield, I cut them back. Also the pipes can come really close to the back of the diff/diff mount.

It really requires some adjustment to get it right.
Interesting. Do you have an audio clip of what that sounds like? I really thought the noise was coming from inside the cabin but maybe it's not. Is this something that would be present only under driving? Again I don't think I have any noise when just sitting and revving it.
      04-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Interesting. Do you have an audio clip of what that sounds like? I really thought the noise was coming from inside the cabin but maybe it's not. Is this something that would be present only under driving? Again I don't think I have any noise when just sitting and revving it.
No video. Just have to get under the car and take a peek.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I always recommend getting the AA brace with the midpipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #12
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Per my original post I got the brace since I was trying to avoid annoying rattling noises after getting the midpipe installed...

I'm going to try to rev it in place tomorrow to see if I get any rattling. I really thought this noise was a cabin vibration but it's tough to tell. I would also add that the noise in getting definitely doesn't seem as pronounced as the one Tommy had not does it seem to always happen which again led me to believe it was something in the car.
      04-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #13
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Per my original post I got the brace since I was trying to avoid annoying rattling noises after getting the midpipe installed...

I'm going to try to rev it in place tomorrow to see if I get any rattling. I really thought this noise was a cabin vibration but it's tough to tell. I would also add that the noise in getting definitely doesn't seem as pronounced as the one Tommy had not does it seem to always happen which again led me to believe it was something in the car.
Is the rattle at all times? I have AA midpipe and lately I get an annoying rattle but only during warmup phase and then it goes away. Been meaning to scour the DIY post but haven't gotten around to it.

I wish I could recall if the rattle started right after AA midpipe install but pretty sure it wasn't present before.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #14
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro View Post
Is the rattle at all times? I have AA midpipe and lately I get an annoying rattle but only during warmup phase and then it goes away. Been meaning to scour the DIY post but haven't gotten around to it.

I wish I could recall if the rattle started right after AA midpipe install but pretty sure it wasn't present before.
I know what it is. Sunday I’ll have more info for the community.
It’s an overlooked problem that is easy to fix
Appreciate 2
ssgm1x418.50
zorrro436.00
      04-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #15
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro View Post

I know what it is. Sunday I’ll have more info for the community.
It’s an overlooked problem that is easy to fix
My rattle is definitely not at all times and is only under load while moving not when revving. Mine isn't really a rattle it's more of a hum/vibration
      04-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #16
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep

As promised - Here is my rattle fix

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #17
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
If there's any chance the midpipe is touching the brace during operation it may be worthwhile to loosen your exhaust, wedge something between the pipe and the brace to ensure clearance, then tighten.
Appreciate 1
rborane241.00
      04-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
If there's any chance the midpipe is touching the brace during operation it may be worthwhile to loosen your exhaust, wedge something between the pipe and the brace to ensure clearance, then tighten.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #19
whoismorggan
Bimmer Nut + Software Dev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3 IE Stage 1

Garage List
Quote:
As promised - Here is my rattle fix

Thanks for this, Tommy! I recently installed Zima downpipes on my own earlier in the week and I reused the OEM gaskets and am hearing a terrible rattle.
Appreciate 0