ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
bmwf82m4
Rep
Drives: f82 ///m4

p10e2 - help!

so over the winter i hooked my m4 up to a battery tender. not knowing any better, i used a regular one and didnt use one for an lithium ion battery... im getting this code p10e2. the car runs and drives just fine. the only thing is it does slightly sound like its misfiring at idle, which i think is because i need new plugs, ngk 97506 because im stage 2, downpipes, etc. in any event, when i open the door or unlock it, usually this will only happen one time but itll make this fast clicking noise for 5-10 seconds and go away. i put a multimeter up to the battery and when the car is idling it is around 13.9v and i think its at 13.3v when the car is shut off, i gotta double check that though. im out of warranty BUT i do have a 3rd party warranty. any ideas what i should do?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
bmwf82m4
Rep
Drives: f82 ///m4

update on code p10e2 -- valvetronic motor died. they will be replacing the valvetronic motor and harness for around $2000 -- looks like the warranty that costed 1700 paid itself off lol. he mentioned that they fail when the car sits for long periods of time, i guess thats what my car does to me when i neglect it and dont drive it....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
TrauCon
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 AlpineWhite

Not sure if you come accross my post on the ticking noise

I think there is a great relationship between battery and the valve tronic issue. Low voltage battery can damage it?

I too have the same noise whenever I have the battery tender hookup when I open/unlock the car. I now unplug the tender from the wall outlet then open the door after a long storage. I also scan my car regularly (ISTA+) for any funny issues now.

Feel like we are driving a computer these days...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:55 AM   #4
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf82m4 View Post
update on code p10e2 -- valvetronic motor died. they will be replacing the valvetronic motor and harness for around $2000 -- looks like the warranty that costed 1700 paid itself off lol. he mentioned that they fail when the car sits for long periods of time, i guess thats what my car does to me when i neglect it and dont drive it....
Very interesting. I recently bought an M4 CS sitting on the lot for some time. No trickle charger.

Valvetronic motor faulty. I was told that they are more prone to failure when the car isn't driven.
Appreciate 0