Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

Replace crank hub on brand new car before engine mods?

I'm planning to put a BM3 tune on my M3 CS in about a month. I'm debating if I should proactively get the crank hub replaced or jut keep the stock crank hub and hope it doesn't spin. Just curious, how many people who have a tune actually replace the crank hub proactively? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Do you purchase insurance on yourself in case of lightning strikes?

No action is needed.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
moonshine89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Do you purchase insurance on yourself in case of lightning strikes?

No action is needed.
Are you alluding to life insurance? If so, then I think lightning strikes would still be covered. Especially if that lightning strike killed you.

To answer the OP's question...the majority who get light tunes appear to have no issues with SCH.

If you tune and get a sch, then you can kiss your warranty goodbye. At that point you might as well pay what you would be paying now to get the sch fix (gintani, max psi, or vtt). My personal rec would be to leave your brand new car alone until your warranty is gone. Then you can do whatever you want.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      04-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

There's plenty of members here who's modded and put in a ton or miles. Many issues appear close to or over 600whp mark. So if you're looking for huge power gains, then you should consider upgrading your crank hub.

Also, upgrading crank hubs doesn't necessarily mean it's fail safe. Few people here blew their upgraded hubs
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
There's plenty of members here who's modded and put in a ton or miles. Many issues appear close to or over 600whp mark. So if you're looking for huge power gains, then you should consider upgrading your crank hub.

Also, upgrading crank hubs doesn't necessarily mean it's fail safe. Few people here blew their upgraded hubs
Good point. The only mod I plan on for performance gains is BM3 Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
kerm1t
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLife345M View Post
Quote:

Good point. The only mod I plan on for performance gains is BM3 Stage 1.
Something I am curious about though is whether or not you'll see noticeable gains from a stage1 on a CS.

Only difference between standard-ZCP-CS is tune from factory (engine wise).

Something to keep in mind is that a "CS" stage 1 won't net you more power than a "Standard" stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #7
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

I am not sure the threshold is that high where the probability rises. Id call it 525 and higher.

It seems the forum doesnt have a general consensus on this. I suspect over time there will be.

My guess is stage 1 is fine but anything over and the risk starts to rise. I think an e85 tune is pressing your luck and probably skews the risk reward to the point where it doesnt make sense.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Something I am curious about though is whether or not you'll see noticeable gains from a stage1 on a CS.

Something to keep in mind is that a "CS" stage 1 won't net you more power than a "Standard" stage 1.
Pretty sure the stg 1 tune is around 50+ hp/tq increase even over the cs power levels. It should absolutely be very noticeable.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:

Who has blown their upgraded crank hub? Any links?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

I had a Stage I tune on my 2016 M3 and did not proactively upgrade the crank hub. In all fairness, there were far fewer instances of SCH at that time. Ask yourself this question: Understanding there's a low probability of a SCH, in the event you do nothing and experience a SCH, are you comfortable with that outcome?

It's a question of your appetite for risk or your risk tolerance.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
Gtracer
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS, 2021 Raptor

Quote:
I'm planning to put a BM3 tune on my M3 CS in about a month. I'm debating if I should proactively get the crank hub replaced or jut keep the stock crank hub and hope it doesn't spin. Just curious, how many people who have a tune actually replace the crank hub proactively? Any input is greatly appreciated!
I just did the BM3 stage 1 93 octane tune on my 18 and i started to worry about it constantly, then spoke to a good friend thats been at bmw for 10+ years. He assured me its so far and few between that i shouldnt worry about it and enjoy the car. ive got about 2200 miles on it now and its a blast to drive! I also did the AA midpipe and it was one of the best mods ive done to a car in a long time.
      04-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #12
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Re-posted from where I wrote this on another thread:

I don't want to repeat what I've posted elsewhere but feel free to search on my username. Here's some key points:

- There is no known crank hub issue on stock vehicles. We now have >60,000 S55 production engines running literally tens of millions of miles driven and the incidence of a documented stock crank hub spin of ANY type is MAYBE ~2-3 such cases we are aware of.

- The incidence rate of a spun crank hub is somewhere between .1-5% of tuned vehicles, with a higher rate occurring in more highly tuned vehicles. It's exceptionally rare even in very high powered situations. Incidence of a spun crank hub does not increase linearly with power increase either.

- There is no known cause of spun crank hubs. It is, as best, conjecture to say whether it's due to increased power or some aspect of the tune itself. If it was power, why does it happen far more with DCT cars than manual cars? If it was the tune itself, why wouldn't manual cars be equally as impacted as DCT cars? We don't know these answers. We just know that if you drive a manual transmission car - and you tune it - you are at far lower incidence of issues.

- Many of the "fixes" have had major issues due to mis-installation or other issues.

I own an f80 and it's a valuable asset to me worth about $35k as of today. I find the misinformation around spun crank hubs to be annoying - it's compared to the IMS bearing in Porsches from 1997-2008 yet it's very different. A stock f8x/s55 engine is ridiculously, ludicrously reliable. This is by far the best and most reliable M engine BMW has ever built with the lowest running cost or maintenance needs - EVER.

Please do not throw money at fixing an issue that doesn't exist on your vehicle.
Appreciate 5
      04-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #13
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

once u drop in a new engine and sell your spun one...youll probably we in just the same as the crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #14
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer View Post
I just did the BM3 stage 1 93 octane tune on my 18 and i started to worry about it constantly, then spoke to a good friend thats been at bmw for 10+ years. He assured me its so far and few between that i shouldnt worry about it and enjoy the car. ive got about 2200 miles on it now and its a blast to drive! I also did the AA midpipe and it was one of the best mods ive done to a car in a long time.
why ---on the aa midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #15
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Re-posted from where I wrote this on another thread:

I don't want to repeat what I've posted elsewhere but feel free to search on my username. Here's some key points:

- There is no known crank hub issue on stock vehicles. We now have >60,000 S55 production engines running literally tens of millions of miles driven and the incidence of a documented stock crank hub spin of ANY type is MAYBE ~2-3 such cases we are aware of.

- The incidence rate of a spun crank hub is somewhere between .1-5% of tuned vehicles, with a higher rate occurring in more highly tuned vehicles. It's exceptionally rare even in very high powered situations. Incidence of a spun crank hub does not increase linearly with power increase either.

- There is no known cause of spun crank hubs. It is, as best, conjecture to say whether it's due to increased power or some aspect of the tune itself. If it was power, why does it happen far more with DCT cars than manual cars? If it was the tune itself, why wouldn't manual cars be equally as impacted as DCT cars? We don't know these answers. We just know that if you drive a manual transmission car - and you tune it - you are at far lower incidence of issues.

- Many of the "fixes" have had major issues due to mis-installation or other issues.

I own an f80 and it's a valuable asset to me worth about $35k as of today. I find the misinformation around spun crank hubs to be annoying - it's compared to the IMS bearing in Porsches from 1997-2008 yet it's very different. A stock f8x/s55 engine is ridiculously, ludicrously reliable. This is by far the best and most reliable M engine BMW has ever built with the lowest running cost or maintenance needs - EVER.

Please do not throw money at fixing an issue that doesn't exist on your vehicle.
Makes sense. I agree on almost all aspects. And will be doing a stage 1 tune very soon. Bm3!

Id guess though that the relationship is more linear than we know at this point. I do think probabilities rise as power output does.It just seems to make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #16
johnnyredgtr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC

Quote:
I feel your pain but, mine 2017 ZCP M3 is almost full bolt ons including PS2+ and been hard since December, No SCH, only put the crank bolt capture about 2 weeks ago. Enjoy your car and get that BM3. You still have warranty.
      04-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
Gtracer
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS, 2021 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer View Post
why ---on the aa midpipe?
Yes the midpipe is just such a nice addition without ANY sacrifice. I've had everything from a 991,AMG GTS, E63S etc and there was ALWAYS a trade off. With the car in efficient it is absolutely silent, and with it in sport plus it sounds just loud enough. It also made the downshifts with the BM3 sounds incredible.
      04-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #18
kerm1t
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:

Pretty sure the stg 1 tune is around 50+ hp/tq increase even over the cs power levels. It should absolutely be very noticeable.
You don't make 50hp on top of cs levels. Stage1 for a base model will net the same power as a stage1 CS. So if you make 50hp for a base, you'll probably won't notice any difference on a CS.

If you make 100hp with stage1 on a base, you'll probably feel a 50hp difference from a CS.

Maybe we're saying the same thing, haha
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #19
kerm1t
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Quote:

I am not sure the threshold is that high where the probability rises. Id call it 525 and higher.

It seems the forum doesnt have a general consensus on this. I suspect over time there will be.

My guess is stage 1 is fine but anything over and the risk starts to rise. I think an e85 tune is pressing your luck and probably skews the risk reward to the point where it doesnt make sense.
If you're running "pure" e85, you're probably looking at high 500 to over 600hp mark.

Your "risk" doesn't change from running e85. Blending some actually might help you.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #20
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
You don't make 50hp on top of cs levels. Stage1 for a base model will net the same power as a stage1 CS. So if you make 50hp for a base, you'll probably won't notice any difference on a CS.

If you make 100hp with stage1 on a base, you'll probably feel a 50hp difference from a CS.

I thought a typical stg 1 tune is around 500 hp/tq no? If so, that would be about 50 more than what the cs makes.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #21
kerm1t
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:

I thought a typical stg 1 tune is around 500 hp/tq no? If so, that would be about 50 more than what the cs makes.
Ive seen mostly 50-75whp. But, maybe 100 with downpipe, not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #22
Melo_F90
2023 M5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Less than 5k miles using bm3 my crank spun
Appreciate 0