Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-01-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
Bryanh24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

BMS OR SSR?

Can’t decide between BMS intakes or SSR? Which ones do you guys prefer? Doing this solely for sound I know I won’t be getting power out of it. Let me know which one you guys prefer and why. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:11 AM   #2
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

Get front mount intake if you want to do it for just the sound
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

I have ssr and man its sounds really good. It really made a difference hearing the turbos
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:38 AM   #4
Bryanh24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlasting View Post
I have ssr and man its sounds really good. It really made a difference hearing the turbos
Great! Any issues with how the car runs or with the intakes themselves?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:07 AM   #5
cartOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M4

I wouldn't go with either because they're open air intakes located in the hot engine bay which is ultimately defeating the purpose of intakes in the first place. If you get intakes get front mount intakes. I just installed the Agency Power intakes and they are louder than my friends SSR intakes. They also look pretty good from the front of the car as well
Appreciate 1
tebbnsx719.00
      04-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I also ran SSR intakes for about 3 thousand miles and 9 months. Makes all the fast and furious noises you'd expect. No CEL or any issues on stock tune. Only side effect was a higher/jumpy idle during cold start for a few seconds, but then it ran and drove normally from then on.

I eventually took them off just in case I'd ever run into an engine issue that needed warranty. I was also mildly paranoid of the filter design - it's just metal mesh, and although they were always dry after driving in the rain, I drive through a lot of construction areas, and the dust being kicked up into the air freaked me out. I was always going into neutral and coasting through the dust spots at idle so I wouldn't pick up any dust or dirt in the engine.

In the end, the anxiety wasn't worth it for me. I'm on stock intake again with carbon filters removed, and am enjoying the car with no headaches.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
JayZap16
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, Merc GLE 63s, F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
I also ran SSR intakes for about 3 thousand miles and 9 months. Makes all the fast and furious noises you'd expect. No CEL or any issues on stock tune. Only side effect was a higher/jumpy idle during cold start for a few seconds, but then it ran and drove normally from then on.

I eventually took them off just in case I'd ever run into an engine issue that needed warranty. I was also mildly paranoid of the filter design - it's just metal mesh, and although they were always dry after driving in the rain, I drive through a lot of construction areas, and the dust being kicked up into the air freaked me out. I was always going into neutral and coasting through the dust spots at idle so I wouldn't pick up any dust or dirt in the engine.

In the end, the anxiety wasn't worth it for me. I'm on stock intake again with carbon filters removed, and am enjoying the car with no headaches.
This is one thing I always was curious about. Don't front mounted intakes get wet in the rain? I picture driving on the highway the filters would get saturated and then you would suck that moisture into the engine. I picture it like sucking on a soaking wet towel. Is this the case?

Also what is this about the carbon filter removal I am hearing about? What are the benefits to sound?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZap16 View Post
This is one thing I always was curious about. Don't front mounted intakes get wet in the rain? I picture driving on the highway the filters would get saturated and then you would suck that moisture into the engine. I picture it like sucking on a soaking wet towel. Is this the case?

Also what is this about the carbon filter removal I am hearing about? What are the benefits to sound?

Of course the front mount intakes get wet - don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. You're running 16+ PSI through 2 filters that are exposed during rain, and if the filter is the metal mesh type like SSR, it's only a matter of time before problems happen. I was paranoid enough about them in the engine bay, but the surrounding area was always 100% dry even after a heavy rain, so I didn't worry as much. I could maybe see this not being a problem on a naturally aspirated engine, but on with twin turbos @ 16 or more PSI? not a chance.

Regarding carbon filter removal - I don't remember which thread I found it on, but I think it's just something for US market. Need to take off cf brace to get to them, but it's a couple screws away and you can toss them. I haven't noticed any change in sound to be honest, but I hear the stock intake well enough with windows open.
Appreciate 1
JayZap16104.50
      04-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZap16 View Post

A little moisture/water going through your intakes is no big deal, the engine evaporates small amounts of water. It is when your intakes get submerged in water where it becomes a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
Bryanh24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post

Yeah I am conflicted mainly because the stock boxes are obviously the best but I really want more sound from the turbos. I also don't want to deal with warranty issues if something does arise but I assumed intakes wouldn't cause problems with the warranty, guess it just depends on the dealer. But the car did run perfectly while you did have them on? I did read about that cold start issue but I guess you can't prevent that on stock tune with aftermarket intakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryh456 View Post
Yeah I am conflicted mainly because the stock boxes are obviously the best but I really want more sound from the turbos. I also don't want to deal with warranty issues if something does arise but I assumed intakes wouldn't cause problems with the warranty, guess it just depends on the dealer. But the car did run perfectly while you did have them on? I did read about that cold start issue but I guess you can't prevent that on stock tune with aftermarket intakes.
A common mod is swapping stock filters for BMC drop ins. I haven't tried them personally, but others have claimed it increases noise. This is the simplest to put back to stock without evidence of tampering with stock parts.

Agree with you on the noise, sounds great, and I never got sick of the sounds. But yes, aside from the cold start jumpy idle, which isn't really a big deal, there's no difference once you're driving - feels the same as stock, other than the whooshes basically always audible. Again, never had a CEL over 3,000 miles. Anything over 10% throttle will make some noise, but it's easily overcome by the stereo at low volume. My wife noticed the sound after I installed them, but it never bothered her.

For what it's worth, a CEL from an intake was the last thing I was worried about - these engines aren't nearly as fragile with intakes as untuned Subarus for example. I was more worried about a spun crank hub or anything else happening while running an aftermarket intake. It's a conversation that I just don't want to have with a dealer should something go wrong. I paid too much for the car to prove the parts I installed didn't break it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #12
PLZ_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3 6MT

Quote:
Can’t decide between BMS intakes or SSR? Which ones do you guys prefer? Doing this solely for sound I know I won’t be getting power out of it. Let me know which one you guys prefer and why. Thanks!
Maximum PSI posted a video a while ago about the mesh cones/filters some of the companies use and it does a terrible job filtering. BMS' intakes and filters are more than enough for sound and eye candy in my opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #13
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLZ_M3 View Post
Maximum PSI posted a video a while ago about the mesh cones/filters some of the companies use and it does a terrible job filtering. BMS' intakes and filters are more than enough for sound and eye candy in my opinion.
Yeah, I'd believe it. I suppose it's better than open turbo, but that's about it. It'll stop leaves and pebbles I guess haha.
Appreciate 1
PLZ_M340.00
      04-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #14
Bryanh24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So are the BMS filters one of the filters that does a bad job of filtering? Or do they filter pretty well?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #15
PLZ_M3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So are the BMS filters one of the filters that does a bad job of filtering? Or do they filter pretty well?
They're good filters. They're not the wire mesh kind. Spectre also makes different diameter flange filters that'll work with BMS piping in case the blue filter isn't what you're looking for. They have white, red, black and blue. I haven't tried Spectre filters yet, but will once my BMS ones get dirty. Their filters aren't wire mesh either. Anyone else feel free to chime in and comment on the wire mesh filters vs BMS'. After seeing Max PSI's video and commentary on the wire mesh ones, I knew I didn't want to go down that route. Max PSI is a shop in Jersey that is always breaking 1/4 mile time records so their word is pretty trustworthy.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #16
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
SSR or CTS Turbo for me

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #17
Bryanh24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They're good filters. They're not the wire mesh kind. Spectre also makes different diameter flange filters that'll work with BMS piping in case the blue filter isn't what you're looking for. They have white, red, black and blue. I haven't tried Spectre filters yet, but will once my BMS ones get dirty. Their filters aren't wire mesh either. Anyone else feel free to chime in and comment on the wire mesh filters vs BMS'. After seeing Max PSI's video and commentary on the wire mesh ones, I knew I didn't want to go down that route. Max PSI is a shop in Jersey that is always breaking 1/4 mile time records so their word is pretty trustworthy.
But you overall do recommend the BMS filters? Car is still running strong without any issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #18
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartOC View Post
I wouldn't go with either because they're open air intakes located in the hot engine bay which is ultimately defeating the purpose of intakes in the first place. If you get intakes get front mount intakes. I just installed the Agency Power intakes and they are louder than my friends SSR intakes. They also look pretty good from the front of the car as well
Front mount intakes do not provide any benefits or more power than a standard intake.
PLZ_M340.00
      04-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #19
PLZ_M3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But you overall do recommend the BMS filters? Car is still running strong without any issues?
No issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #20
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
BMC filters

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
PLZ_M340.00
      04-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
tebbnsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
That’s an interesting looking engine bay.

Last edited by tebbnsx; 04-01-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #22
PLZ_M3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbnsx View Post
That’s an ugly engine bay.
Sometimes people pick ugly wives too, but whatever floats the boat. My reason to paint my car parts a certain color is for myself, not for you or anyone else but I appreciate the constructive criticism aimed at my taste.
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50