R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-31-2019, 09:35 PM   #1
M4_Johnnys
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Need help following some coding instructions (Changing typschussel)

Hi All,

So I've coded some basic things, easy seat entry, remember start stop etc... so have the basics down. Then I found this and I'm confused...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...52&postcount=2

It says to change typschussel to 8M93

If I connect to my car with SYS, read under Vehicle Order, then expand the FA folder then expand FZAuftrag->Type I can see Typeschussel and my value is 3R92 but I cannot change this value. When I right click on it all the options are grayed out (But the options are, Activate FA, expand and collapse)

Then it says find VDC then code DSC, does this mean to right click on these under SVT and hit the code FDL button like you would after you have edited FDL? (But in this instance no FDL changes have been made?)

Thanks for the help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 02:27 AM   #2
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Need help following some coding instructions (Changing typschussel)

I don't have the program open but you need to edit the FA to change your type. When they say to code, they mean right click on the module and click code. It basically applies all changes to that module so any FDL coding you did to the module before will be wiped out.
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:48 AM   #3
M4_Johnnys
Private
Rep

How do I edit the FA?

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about...

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 04:19 AM   #4
M4_Johnnys
Private
Rep

I think I see my problem. I have only done FDL coding, this is a VO coding which is a different process.

So I think I need to hit save after I read, then I can edit and it goes into the FA editor and I should be able to change typschussel. As I haven't done this before I want to double check I'm doing it right.

A document I found says after making the FA changes, I have to load the file, click on Calculate FP then on the VCM master tab click on Write FA FP. (If I do this does it mean all my previous FDL coding will be lost?)

At this point will it show all the ECUs and I just need to code the VDC one like I would as if I was coding a FDL change?

Also is it the VDC or DSC ecu?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:23 AM   #5
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_Johnnys View Post
I think I see my problem. I have only done FDL coding, this is a VO coding which is a different process.

So I think I need to hit save after I read, then I can edit and it goes into the FA editor and I should be able to change typschussel. As I haven't done this before I want to double check I'm doing it right.

A document I found says after making the FA changes, I have to load the file, click on Calculate FP then on the VCM master tab click on Write FA FP. (If I do this does it mean all my previous FDL coding will be lost?)

At this point will it show all the ECUs and I just need to code the VDC one like I would as if I was coding a FDL change?

It is generally not recommended to write a custom FA to the car as your dealer will have issues if they ever need to update your car. You can achieve everything you need by activating the modified FA and then coding the different modules (either VO or FDL)
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
88tuning.id
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E39 520i Msport

Quote:

"A document I found says after making the FA changes, I have to load the file, click on Calculate FP then on the VCM master tab click on Write FA FP. (If I do this does it mean all my previous FDL coding will be lost?)"

write FA FP only writing the customized FA code, not all your previous FDL coding will be lost, only on the corresponding module you VOCoded with the custom FA

T
      04-03-2019, 05:02 AM   #7
M4_Johnnys
Private
Rep

Once I edit the VO and code the VDC ECU, is this the same as changing a bunch of the FDLs in batch?

If so is the only way to know if it's worked (apart from noticing the difference in the car) is to compare the FDLs before and after for the VDC ECU?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Once I edit the VO and code the VDC ECU, is this the same as changing a bunch of the FDLs in batch?

If so is the only way to know if it's worked (apart from noticing the difference in the car) is to compare the FDLs before and after for the VDC ECU?
Yes. And Yes. Change the FA values and typeschlussel...activate your Modified FA (do not save it to your VCM like you mentioned above or dealer will easily see you are coded)...read SVT, then VO code the individual modules. That will change whatever FDL lines in that particular module to be an "M3 CS" or an "M4 GTS" or "ZCP" or whatever else you are going for. That way E-Sys makes the appropriate changes based on the typschlussel and FA list you have provided. On some things like power steering it will only change 1 FDL, on others like Euro MDM it will change many interrelated FDL values in the module...but this way is quicker and more comprehensive...

Hope that helps.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0