EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Jb4 vs ESS OBD stage 1 flash

I am new to m4's and new to the forum. Have always ran e90 m3's. I have an e90 m3 with an ESS tune and full akrapovic exhaust and never had issues. Runs great.

I am considering tuning my M4 and have been researching all the options. Seems that the JB4 is what a lot of people are using, seems very similar to Dinantronics but for 2000 less. I am very impressed with the ESS tune on my m3 and am considering that also.

All things considered which way should I go? I am leaning towards ESS for reliability issues. My thought is that a full reflash will be more reliable long term than the JB4. I also have a Dinan exhaust, k and n filters/charcoal delete. No other mods.

Sorry if this is a redundant thread just ready to pull the trigger and cannot make up my mind. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Some people state they have problems with the JB4? Like it does not work at times but then there are other posts that have never had issues. Not a lot of info on ESS that I can find yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

JB4 works perfectly and has a lot of great options and layers that can be installed depending on whether you want a quick simple 50hp gain or to take it all the way up to +100hp and beyond. Also, since it's not reflashing the ECU no trace is left behind when removed.

Mike
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter.M3 View Post
I am new to m4's and new to the forum. Have always ran e90 m3's. I have an e90 m3 with an ESS tune and full akrapovic exhaust and never had issues. Runs great.

I am considering tuning my M4 and have been researching all the options. Seems that the JB4 is what a lot of people are using, seems very similar to Dinantronics but for 2000 less. I am very impressed with the ESS tune on my m3 and am considering that also.

All things considered which way should I go? I am leaning towards ESS for reliability issues. My thought is that a full reflash will be more reliable long term than the JB4. I also have a Dinan exhaust, k and n filters/charcoal delete. No other mods.

Sorry if this is a redundant thread just ready to pull the trigger and cannot make up my mind. Thanks!
We always recommend flashing over piggybacks. ESS is a solid tune.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you very much. Any reasoning behind that? I am a dummy basically. I am leaning more towars tuning also. I have always done flashing on Subarus and bmws in the past when Cobb Tuning had a OTS map. Never used a piggyback before and kind of scared too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Thank you very much. Any reasoning behind that? I am a dummy basically. I am leaning more towars tuning also. I have always done flashing on Subarus and bmws in the past when Cobb Tuning had a OTS map. Never used a piggyback before and kind of scared too.
Simply no reason to use them, a flash will do everything needed and more.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Headhunter.M3 you have to read between the lines when it comes to recommendations on BP. Most of them are financially driven, especially when it comes to tuning, and in certain cases, a personal vendetta against a particular brand.

A JB4 is useful if you're somewhat technical, and want to have more control over your setup. A flash only tune will certainly not let you do any of the following:

* Change boost profiles on the fly (street/daily mode, true valet mode, kill mode, kill mode w/ meth)
* Custom boost values without the tuning tables guesswork
* Always connected logging mechanism with bluetooth dongle and mobile app
* Always connected exhaust flap controller
* Serve as an integrated meth controller
* Steering wheel controls to enable/disable ASD, clear CEL, etc

These are just some of the functionalities that make a JB4 useful besides not insta-voiding your warranty. Although, warranty should not be a concern if you opt to modify any part of the powertrain since a piggyback tune can still be traced should BMW NA decide to dig deeper.

If all you're after is a plug and play solution that works off the shelf, then yes, most established flash tuning solutions will have the edge over any piggyback units in general. I recommend going the bootmod3 (BM3) route if this is what you're interested in doing.

But if you're after the most optimal OTS solution without paying for a custom tune, nothing beats the JB4 + the free BMS back end flash maps that can be flashed using BM3, MHD, or OFT. The JB4 can even be used to increase boost on any of the BM3 OTS maps, which are tuned to be on the conservative side.

If you hang tight, I actually just received approval from Terry@BMS to share information on how to have a fully free full E85 tune without the need for a piggyback. I'll be working on drafting that DIY sometime in the next few days or weeks.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Headhunter.M3 you have to read between the lines when it comes to recommendations on BP. Most of them are financially driven, especially when it comes to tuning, and in certain cases, a personal vendetta against a particular brand.

A JB4 is useful if you're somewhat technical, and want to have more control over your setup. A flash only tune will certainly not let you do any of the following:

* Change boost profiles on the fly (street/daily mode, true valet mode, kill mode, kill mode w/ meth)
* Custom boost values without the tuning tables guesswork
* Always connected logging mechanism with bluetooth dongle and mobile app
* Always connected exhaust flap controller
* Serve as an integrated meth controller
* Steering wheel controls to enable/disable ASD, clear CEL, etc

These are just some of the functionalities that make a JB4 useful besides not insta-voiding your warranty. Although, warranty should not be a concern if you opt to modify any part of the powertrain since a piggyback tune can still be traced should BMW NA decide to dig deeper.

If all you're after is a plug and play solution that works off the shelf, then yes, most established flash tuning solutions will have the edge over any piggyback units in general. I recommend going the bootmod3 (BM3) route if this is what you're interested in doing.

But if you're after the most optimal OTS solution without paying for a custom tune, nothing beats the JB4 + the free BMS back end flash maps that can be flashed using BM3, MHD, or OFT. The JB4 can even be used to increase boost on any of the BM3 OTS maps, which are tuned to be on the conservative side.

If you hang tight, I actually just received approval from Terry@BMS to share information on how to have a fully free full E85 tune without the need for a piggyback. I'll be working on drafting that DIY sometime in the next few days or weeks.

Thank you, very helpful. Is the JB4 similar to the Dinan dinantronics at all? I have a friend who has an m4 with that and it works perfect. I like the idea of the JB4 so my warranty is not totally voided but at the same time is a flash tune like Bm3 or Ess more reliable than having a piggyback?

I just want consistent reliable HP increase.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, very helpful. Is the JB4 similar to the Dinan dinantronics at all? I have a friend who has an m4 with that and it works perfect. I like the idea of the JB4 so my warranty is not totally voided but at the same time is a flash tune like Bm3 or Ess more reliable than having a piggyback?

JB4 is indeed similar to Dinantronics, except it is the most advanced solution in the piggyback category.

For flash tuning, BM3 is more similar to Cobb AP than ESS, as BM3 is a full pledge tuning platform with a wide range of features. This is the recommended route to take if you prefer a set it and forget it type of solution and/or have access to more customization (GTS TCU flash, burbles, cold start delete, downpipe CEL disable, boost reduction).

If you're looking for something more along the lines of ESS (OTS flash), there are other solutions like it, as well, such as:

AA
BPM
Dinan Flash (offers factory warranty matching)
VF-E
Misc re-branded canned tune

None of which offer data logging, which is elemental to what makes a full tuning platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:

Any tune will void warranty, even piggybacks. Dinan offers to match the factory warranty if any failures are as a result of their parts.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Hi OP,
First start by deciding if flash or piggy is better for you.
Each has its pros and cons.

If you decide to go with a flash, check BM3. Its better than ESS in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #12
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you very much. I know this is a stupid question but how does a piggy back work? I think the main reason i am hesitant on the jb4 is i don't understand what it is or how it works vs a tune I know its a different ecu map, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much. I know this is a stupid question but how does a piggy back work? I think the main reason i am hesitant on the jb4 is i don't understand what it is or how it works vs a tune I know its a different ecu map, etc.
Google will be your best friend here.

In essence, a piggyback unit intercepts DME signals through various sensors. For JB4, those sensors are TMAP, MAP, Fuel Mass, and e-Wastegates. From there, it manipulates the signal going back to the DME, which is then used as a window to increase boost pressure, fuel control, AFR, and etc.

As a result, no DME parameters are digiially written over, as the signals are simply being pushed by way of interception and manipulation. This is exactly how real time map changes are made possible with a piggyback, but is impossible with a standalone flash tune.

The JB4 initially gained popularity on this platform due to the challenges with unlocking the DME via OBD. Its strong reputation from the N54/N55 platform also made for an easy transition over to the S55. Before OBD unlock became a thing, just about everyone jumped on the JB4 (and other piggybacks) bandwagon. The list includes your favorite e-tuners and money driven (bias) tuning shops. During this time, there were only a small amount of people opting to go the flash tune route, as this required having to physically remove the DME unit ($$$$) in order for an authorized shop to perform a bench unlock.

However, as this platform continued to evolve, OBD unlock became a reality. This paved the way for a new wave of tuning neophytes due to the ease of access and simplicity of flashing the DME with modified tuning calibrations over the on-board diagnostics port. This also opened the floodgates for piggyback haters with most of the animosity aimed towards the JB4 crowd. Most of the haters consist of flash tuning elitists and former JB4 users, but the majority were just clueless folks who wanted to follow the trend.

To keep the haters at bay, the BMS group released their back end flash maps (BEF) for $Free.99 to the general public. This solution is what is technically referred to as a stacked tune, which involves the combination of a piggyback (JB4) + a flash tune (BEF). Sometime last year, the E85_IGN (advanced ignition) BEF was put to good use by a JB4 faithful to set the stock turbo 1/4 mile WR of 10.25 seconds @ 135mph. This got the naysayers in pure disbelief, because in their minds, the JB4 is inferior and obsolete! They're thinking, how could anything JB4 related even be better than my XYZ toon?! Many custom tuned S55s have tried their best, but to this day, the JB4 BEF 1/4 mile stock turbos world record stands strong and proud in its own little island.

Anyhow, if you made it this far, you may have realized that the 2nd half of my response have absolutely nothing to do with what the JB4 does, but rather more about the tuning evolution on the F8x S55 platform with the JB4 in the picture

Best of luck with your tuning decision, and Happy Motoring!
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #14
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Google will be your best friend here.

In essence, a piggyback unit intercepts DME signals through various sensors. For JB4, those sensors are TMAP, MAP, Fuel Mass, and e-Wastegates. From there, it manipulates the signal going back to the DME, which is then used as a window to increase boost pressure, fuel control, AFR, and etc.

As a result, no DME parameters are digiially written over, as the signals are simply being pushed by way of interception and manipulation. This is exactly how real time map changes are made possible with a piggyback, but is impossible with a standalone flash tune.

The JB4 initially gained popularity on this platform due to the challenges with unlocking the DME via OBD. Its strong reputation from the N54/N55 platform also made for an easy transition over to the S55. Before OBD unlock became a thing, just about everyone jumped on the JB4 (and other piggybacks) bandwagon. The list includes your favorite e-tuners and money driven (bias) tuning shops. During this time, there were only a small amount of people opting to go the flash tune route, as this required having to physically remove the DME unit ($$$$) in order for an authorized shop to perform a bench unlock.

However, as this platform continued to evolve, OBD unlock became a reality. This paved the way for a new wave of tuning neophytes due to the ease of access and simplicity of flashing the DME with modified tuning calibrations over the on-board diagnostics port. This also opened the floodgates for piggyback haters with most of the animosity aimed towards the JB4 crowd. Most of the haters consist of flash tuning elitists and former JB4 users, but the majority were just clueless folks who wanted to follow the trend.

To keep the haters at bay, the BMS group released their back end flash maps (BEF) for $Free.99 to the general public. This solution is what is technically referred to as a stacked tune, which involves the combination of a piggyback (JB4) + a flash tune (BEF). Sometime last year, the E85_IGN (advanced ignition) BEF was put to good use by a JB4 faithful to set the stock turbo 1/4 mile WR of 10.25 seconds @ 135mph. This got the naysayers in pure disbelief, because in their minds, the JB4 is inferior and obsolete! They're thinking, how could anything JB4 related even be better than my XYZ toon?! Many custom tuned S55s have tried their best, but to this day, the JB4 BEF 1/4 mile stock turbos world record stands strong and proud in its own little island.

Anyhow, if you made it this far, you may have realized that the 2nd half of my response have absolutely nothing to do with what the JB4 does, but rather more about the tuning evolution on the F8x S55 platform with the JB4 in the picture

Best of luck with your tuning decision, and Happy Motoring!
So it sounds like thr JB4 is pretty legit and I should just go that route? Only other mod i plan on getting is the dinan exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So it sounds like thr JB4 is pretty legit and I should just go that route? Only other mod i plan on getting is the dinan exhaust
Go with the route that suits your profile best. For at least 90% of F8x demographics, the ease of flash tuning works very well -- no assembly required, just flash and go.

The remaining 10% are the more serious hands on kind of enthusiasts that prefer to tinker on their own. This part requires more patience and brain function.

To recap:

Best piggyback solution = JB4
Best flash tuning platform = BM3
Best of both worlds = JB4 + BM3 stacked
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Cobb needs an accessport for the m4. Come on cobb
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #17
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cobb needs an accessport for the m4. Come on cobb
Unlikely to happen. Cobb was last involved in the BMW world with the N55. They've since ceased any development for anything BMW, and completely left the scene when the F-series DMEs couldn't be unlocked via OBD.

If you enjoyed using Cobb, you will likely find an easy transition to BM3 or MHD.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was looking at bm3 it looks pretty sweet
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #19