Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

03-08-2019, 06:05 AM   #1
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Not sure if these are issues with the M3?

So I have a few issues that I think are not normal on the M3/M4 platform. I intend to take it to the dealer to have a check on it but sometimes dealers are liars and wont tell you the truth. Please correct me if im wrong and if any of these issues are actually normal

1. Door lock seems to be rattling. If I drive around with the car locked, the door rattles around the lock area. If I drive around with the car unlocked, the door does not rattle nowhere near as much as when its locked, maybe a slight rattle on the heaviest of imperfections and bumps.

2. The car makes a whining sound on low rpms which then disappears on higher rpm (around 2k rpm), is that supposed to be normal? Some people say its normal M differential whine.

3. Downshifts from 3rd to 2nd sometimes jerks violently when im lightly braking to a stop as if someone depresses a clutch and immediately releases it. Is that normal?

4. When I upshift quickly through the gears, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd are very smooth in upshifts but the 3rd to 4th gear upshifts when I don't lift my foot off the throttle and upshift manually in any of the throttle and drivelogic modes, feels quite jerky as if the car is doing a double upshift. Is that supposed to be normal?

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Get your dealer to see if there is a TCU flash available for you. No rattles for me at 17k.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
So I have a few issues that I think are not normal on the M3/M4 platform. I intend to take it to the dealer to have a check on it but sometimes dealers are liars and wont tell you the truth. Please correct me if im wrong and if any of these issues are actually normal

1. Door lock seems to be rattling. If I drive around with the car locked, the door rattles around the lock area. If I drive around with the car unlocked, the door does not rattle nowhere near as much as when its locked, maybe a slight rattle on the heaviest of imperfections and bumps. I've had these replaced under warranty on both my F30 328 and my M4, more of a buzzing rattle.

2. The car makes a whining sound on low rpms which then disappears on higher rpm (around 2k rpm), is that supposed to be normal? Some people say its normal M differential whine.this did my head in too, quite normal but ask the question in the event yours is different/louder

3. Downshifts from 3rd to 2nd sometimes jerks violently when im lightly braking to a stop as if someone depresses a clutch and immediately releases it. Is that normal? what "player" said, I had my car software updated not long after I got my car for similar DCT reasons

4. When I upshift quickly through the gears, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd are very smooth in upshifts but the 3rd to 4th gear upshifts when I don't lift my foot off the throttle and upshift manually in any of the throttle and drivelogic modes, feels quite jerky as if the car is doing a double upshift. Is that supposed to be normal? again, what player said

Thanks everyone!
My two cents in red.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Same as above. I'll add that even after a software update I can still trick the car into jerky stalling motion if I'm moving slowly in 3rd and I brake gently then go back on the throttle to move just a little further before braking again and it hesitates going into 2nd thinking I'm going to gas it....if I am more firm with my throttle and braking it won't. It's like when I'm hesitant it is too haha
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #5
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley74 View Post
My two cents in red.

Cheers,
Thanks for your advice! You have a wealth of knowledge honestly
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:12 PM   #6
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Same as above. I'll add that even after a software update I can still trick the car into jerky stalling motion if I'm moving slowly in 3rd and I brake gently then go back on the throttle to move just a little further before braking again and it hesitates going into 2nd thinking I'm going to gas it....if I am more firm with my throttle and braking it won't. It's like when I'm hesitant it is too haha
HAHA nice. Yeah these boxes makes a fair bit of noises. My girlfriend reckons these boxes makes more sound than her 2017 Audi S3 which I agree
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #7
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisplayer View Post
Get your dealer to see if there is a TCU flash available for you. No rattles for me at 17k.
I think my car is still on 2016 software most likely because I just checked today and the maps are still on 2016 wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
dannyz_M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 Comp

How does one check what software we are running...

I have a 'sometimes' quite jerky 3rd to 2nd slow low speed change also. Mid 2017 built LCI f82, 2018 complied.

D
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:48 PM   #9
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz_M4 View Post
How does one check what software we are running...

I have a 'sometimes' quite jerky 3rd to 2nd slow low speed change also. Mid 2017 built LCI f82, 2018 complied.

D
If you get a USB key, go to the settings and profile screen in iDrive then export your profile to the USB key. Then put the key in a PC/Mac and open the folder and the text file in that folder from the USB key. Towards the top of the text is a version number of iStep.
Appreciate 1
SE7EN335330.00
      03-11-2019, 04:40 AM   #10
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
HAHA nice. Yeah these boxes makes a fair bit of noises. My girlfriend reckons these boxes makes more sound than her 2017 Audi S3 which I agree
Totally. I had an RS3 previously and you couldn't tell the box was changing gear apart from hearing the engine note change. Pretty impressive but also less visceral/involving. I rarely manually shifted using the paddles because it was so unrewarding (apart from the pops and bangs haha).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #11
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Hey everyone, the dealer fixed the door lock rattles and also updated the whole car's software to March 2019 latest edition software. It has got rid of the jerkiness in 3rd to 2nd gear changes and the full throttle 3rd to 4th double upshift feeling as well. HOWEVER, I must say the latest software update has made the car feel like absolute trash in terms of torque delivery and responsiveness. It feels like turbo spool comes on at about 4k RPM now and I can see that the torque delivery is very linear like as if its a big NA v8 engine like the w204 c63s. Before I could full throttle in 2nd gear in sports plus and the car would push straight forward with good momentum, now it lugs for a good second then it gets going. Is there any way to get rid of this shitty torque delivery?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #12
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey everyone, the dealer fixed the door lock rattles and also updated the whole car's software to March 2019 latest edition software. It has got rid of the jerkiness in 3rd to 2nd gear changes and the full throttle 3rd to 4th double upshift feeling as well. HOWEVER, I must say the latest software update has made the car feel like absolute trash in terms of torque delivery and responsiveness. It feels like turbo spool comes on at about 4k RPM now and I can see that the torque delivery is very linear like as if its a big NA v8 engine like the w204 c63s. Before I could full throttle in 2nd gear in sports plus and the car would push straight forward with good momentum, now it lugs for a good second then it gets going. Is there any way to get rid of this shitty torque delivery?
It adapts to you after a few days of driving so check it's not adaptations taking hold. But yes, the torque delivery is pushed slightly higher in the rev range - it made driving with throttle in Sport Plus actually usable which in turn makes it feel more responsive so maybe try that. I have no regrets the new iStep brought because if I'm "on it" (hard driving) the car is more of a whole now and feels like it's not fighting me as much as it did previously (too much low end torque so it spin wheels when boots comes on, TC cuts power abruptly, car gets unsettled etc). Now it just punches from the dig.

Oh, to answer your question a throttle pedal adaptor (which alters the throttle position sensor output) would give you adjustment however you like and/or a remap.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:22 AM   #13
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It adapts to you after a few days of driving so check it's not adaptations taking hold. But yes, the torque delivery is pushed slightly higher in the rev range - it made driving with throttle in Sport Plus actually usable which in turn makes it feel more responsive so maybe try that. I have no regrets the new iStep brought because if I'm "on it" (hard driving) the car is more of a whole now and feels like it's not fighting me as much as it did previously (too much low end torque so it spin wheels when boots comes on, TC cuts power abruptly, car gets unsettled etc). Now it just punches from the dig.

Oh, to answer your question a throttle pedal adaptor (which alters the throttle position sensor output) would give you adjustment however you like and/or a remap.
ah yes true. I flashed back my BM3 stage 1 map and the throttle still feels laggy after a few days of driving long distance about 600 kms. I definitely know that its not the same as it was before the update even after adaptations are set. I also find that the MPE sound is not as loud as it was before.

But definitely after a few days the car is feeling more punchy now but not as punchy as it was before the update.
Appreciate 1
mfurse182.00
      04-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #14
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

ah yes true. I flashed back my BM3 stage 1 map and the throttle still feels laggy after a few days of driving long distance about 600 kms. I definitely know that its not the same as it was before the update even after adaptations are set. I also find that the MPE sound is not as loud as it was before.

But definitely after a few days the car is feeling more punchy now but not as punchy as it was before the update.
It's been proven on the dyno that BMW altered the torque map to push it further up the Rev range (3000 rpm I think you get the full slug now). Conversely this makes you quicker in most driving because you have traction from a dig that you lacked previously. Some like that wild torque delivery low down, I personally felt like that, coupled with the poor TC calibration meant the car was fighting me at low revs at anything but bone dry conditions.

Now when I'm pressing on its more in tune as a whole and flows better. You do need to give it more throttle but that's easily solved by mapping Sport/Sport+ as your M button preset.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:11 AM   #15
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Does anyone know if a groaning sound from the LSD on a 2nd gear crawl in very low speeds (like parking lot speeds) is considered "normal"?

The dealership says its making a bit of noise but is classified as normal wear and tear for a 2016 M3 with 55k kms which I find a bit hard to believe.
Appreciate 0