Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
alibaba222
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Starter/ ignition malfunction

What's up guys,

So I just had one of the longest nights I've had in a while. I have a 2015 f82 car was driving phenomenal. I went to a friends house which lives in an apartment complex and I backed up in a random parking space to unload some stuff and leave. After we unloaded everything I go to start my car and it just makes a humming noise, I try to start it again and I get starter/ ignition malfunction. I tried to jump it with another car and nothing. I call a tow truck to tow it home but it takes the tow truck 2 hours to get there, when they finally show up my car is to low.
Finally at 4 am I have a flatbed show up, we go to try to put the car in neutral and nothing, I check all over the internet and nothing. I was parked in a spot that if I left the car it would get towed I needed to get the car out of there that moment I told the guy just drag it out. I kept the brake up to take as much strain off the drivetrain as possible. Finally get home and off the trailer by 5:30am with just enough time to take an uber to catch my flight at 6:45am.

Now I'm on vacation but I cant enjoy it knowing that my car doesn't work. Car is out of warranty already so I cant just tow it to the dealer.
Has anyone had this issue before?
I'm thinking it might be the starter, I've changed it on other cars before so I dont think it would be an issue with this one, so if anyone has had this issue before please let me.know what it was.

Also how the fuck do we put these cars in neutral when it doesn't start?

Anybfeed back would help guys,

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
MattPollock
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW F80 Competition Pack

Hey man. Any luck with this? I’m having the exact same problem. Thanks.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:41 AM   #3
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

You cannot put the DCT into neutral from insude the cabin.

If the car does not start then fault codes need to be read out to determine where it goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
snake-doctor
Ejecto seato cuz!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 6MT

I'm currently having the same issue, did you ever figure out what the problem was?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:38 AM   #5
BMW456V
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

For anyone after an update in the future or present, who’s experiencing the same issue, I’ll finish the subject off. So today my BMW M4 F82 2016 wouldn’t start, it doesn’t crank and comes up with a starter/ignition fault on the dashboard. So I called up my local motorsport garage and asked them to come and take a look at it.

They firstly tried re-coding the battery, but nothing. We then checked the battery’s voltage, 13.5V, all okay. We then checked every individual module for function and faults, every single one checked out okay apart from the starter motor module. So they garage has now got the car and they will investigate further.

The only thing people might be wondering is, how do we get the car into neural if it needs to be towed. Don’t ever let tow company’s just drag your car with the tyres on the floor. It breaks diffs, prop shafts and gearboxes. All you have to do is jack the front left up (looking from the front of the car), but you want to jack it up exactly the same as if you we’re changing a tyre. Then jack it up high enough that you can slide under the centre of the car.

Look for the prop shaft (down the middle of the car), and go to the area where the shaft goes into the main gearbox. Once your looking in the right area you should see an exhaust rubber and next to it a little gap in all the under trays. When you look through the gap, you’ll see a gear cable leaver. With a pry bar, push the lever one way or the other (it will only go one way). Once it’s clicked your in neutral, but make sure you leave the ignition on when doing this so it doesn’t go back into P by accident. Send the car down and push it onto the tow truck.

I’ll let you guys know what the fault was on mine with the starter/ignition fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

A tow truck should have Dolley wheels to carry a bmw. If u got crankhub failure its the same. No neutral. Heard on a model 3 its the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:50 PM   #7
SpecBC
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

any update on this solution and what the fault was? It may be relevant to my current F15 starter/ignition malfunction issues.

Thanks!
Ben
Appreciate 0