European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

F80 Roof Rack Issues - Update: Solved

Hey folks. This is gonna be a tough question to illustrate/ask but I'm going to try and would really appreciate any advice/ideas...

I have an F80 M3 with a sunroof and therefore Roof Rack rails.

I have the crossbars. According to BMW, its the same for the standard 3 series. 8271-2-361-814 - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...s/82712361814/

I go to install it, and the curvature of the rack's mounting pad, hits the 'floor' of the rack rail, before the mounting surface of the hole on the rack hits the mounting hole that the bolt screws into.

Is this normal? Should I just use some washers to build up the surface? Or, should I shave some of the curvatures off? Anyone else run into this before? For clarity, everything is OEM BMW.

Photos to help explain:
So the dotted lines are the rack, red solid shows the mounting surface of the car. the red dotted line hits the 'floor' of the rack rail before the green dotted line surface hits the mounting hole in the car (solid green circle).

So If I were to put this thing in the best I could and line it up, the red dotted line would be in direct contact with the rack rail and scratch the shit outta the paint and there'd be about a good 10-15mm between the actual rack's hole and the mounting hole in the car.

Ultimately I can build up the surface of the green solid circle with some washers, or I could shave down the red dotted line with a dremel or something.

Or. something is just off in general.

Help??

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

I've already noticed that I'm missing these and will order them up asap. But I dont think that this will add enough height to the mounting point on the rails to meet the rack.

Could be wrong.

Last edited by starbai; 02-11-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

That’s fine. Get the pads or wrap the legs of the rack with something to protect your paint. Maybe put some rubber on them.

The green areas don’t touch. There is an Allen bolt that goes there. Once you screw if and torque it properly it will not touch.

In other words - you are fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
That’s fine. Get the pads or wrap the legs of the rack with something to protect your paint. Maybe put some rubber on them.

The green areas don’t touch. There is an Allen bolt that goes there. Once you screw if and torque it properly it will not touch.

In other words - you are fine.
Thats good to know. So basically when this thing is torqued down its SUPPOSED to touch in the red areas, not the green. so that part i need that i'm missing will protect the paint.

I ordered online since bmw dealers here wont sell it individually. Unfortunately its coming all the way from Lithuania so hopefully it shows up.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

So the pads did the trick. It mounted up perfectly. Impossible to buy in the US. I found it on ebay. Took several weeks but I got it from a seller in romania.

It whistled like a bitch. Almost unusable! But I added an omni fairing from Ebay, took off the omni sticker on it. It needed some new screws/bolts from the hardware store to make it compatible with the OEM rack but it works like a charm now.

whisper quiet!

Appreciate 0